Hammam spa

Maggie1

NewWave Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Or am I missing something here?

I don't think you pay ?95 to just sit in a steam room for an hour or so? It's a treatment innit? If you go and get a treamment (honey and melon with fried pancetta yogic stone facial wrap or similar) anywhere else it's going to cost you at least ?30 / half hour.

Not that it's my exact area of expertise, but with Christmas coming I write in anticipation of my annual gift-related fleecing in the area.

bodsier Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Would like to know if treatment is essential or if

> you can go for steam and hot tub....perhaps pay

> for a scrub? That's the thing With a traditional

> hamman, it's something that the whole community

> can enjoy regardless of income.....

For steam and hot tubs I usually go to the excellent Spa's in Ironmonger Row Baths, Marshall Street Baths and Wimbledon. Most of them offer treatments too if you want. Its actually surprisingly luxurious for a council run place with chill out room providing magazines,Ice shower, jacuzzi,sauna and steam-Its around ?30.

• 1 month later...

I went to the Porchester Halls in Bayswater a few weeks back and it was ?35 for the day which included a scrub. It's ?28 for the day without the scrub.

There is a huge chill out space with loungers and magazines and food to order which is really cheap. There are several steam rooms, a series of hot rooms and plunge pools. I wouldn't call it high end luxury as its council run but it felt like the real deal ( like I was in Morrocco!)

I can't really see the allure of a place that only let's you stay for an hour or so and I certainly wouldn't be paying ?90 for the privilege of doing so!

• 8 months later...

Just searched and found this thread on the hammam spa on Forest Hill Road . I haven't been yet but have just booked for later in the month cos they have a promotion for October where the silver package which is usually ?90 is ?49 so going to give it a whirl while it's on offer. below is what's included in silver package.

SILVER

Organic Black Soap- Herbal Steam- Body Peel

Full Body Foam Massage

Shampoo & Hair Mask

PLUS

Jacuzzi and Body Mask - Face Mask

Relaxation Room

Moroccan Tea & Coffee

Turkish Delight

Time 90 min plus

The silver package you will be bathed in warmth as you relaxed in the steam room; followed by a full body exfoliation using a traditional methods and a deep cleansing wash with our signature organic Hammam soap. Besides all these we also provide you with Jacuzzi or Body Mask, facial mask, then moved to relaxation room and further will be served by Moroccan tea and Coffee.

• 4 weeks later...
I went on my own this evening and it was an amazing experience. They staff are very professional and I felt totally relaxed. There is a male and a female therapist. I got the ?35 group on package and was there over an hour. I would have paid full price it was that good. I wore a bikini and brought my own towel. There are lockers provided for valuables. They do supply "wet" shoes and Turkish towels. The steam room, scrub, bubbles, massage and hair washing felt luxurious and relaxing and I have never felt so clean. Then after you get taken to a relaxation room for traditional mint tea and Turkish delight.

• 3 months later...