Yet another break in spitting distance from the old police station

michelle_a

Hi P68,

You may have a point. The publicly published crime stats cover until end of October - http://maps.met.police.uk/tables.htm

Total East Dulwich ward crime 1/11/13>31/10/14 = 803. For 1/11/14->31/10/15 = 708

Residential burglary reduced in that period from 109 to 82 for the last 12 months with respect to the 5,250 ED ward homes. So annually rate recently around 1.56% or once every 64 years. But these crimes are often concentrated on homes with several flats or repeat burglaries of the same home or neighbouring homes - they know the lay of the land.

Notifiable offences reported in October we had 60 of all types. So we are relatively low crime and indeed lowest for Southwark. But still 2 crimes a day being reported and anecdotally people often don't bother to report crimes. Failure to report crimes means less Police resources for our area.

On this thread the Beauval Road, Playfield Crescent burglaries would be in Village ward.

Over the last 24 months residential burglaries per month:Month Burglary in A Dwelling

Nov-13 21

Dec-13 19

Jan-14 7

Feb-14 5

Mar-14 4

Apr-14 5

May-14 11

Jun-14 4

Jul-14 8

Aug-14 12

Sep-14 4

Oct-14 9

Nov-14 5

Dec-14 3

Jan-15 9

Feb-15 13

Mar-15 6

Apr-15 3

May-15 10

Jun-15 8

Jul-15 4

Aug-15 9

Sep-15 5

Oct-15 7

So average of 6.5 pcm

It would be very helpful if posters could say HOW the break-in occurred.

All break-ins are criminal, most are opportunistic that is quick and easy: doors and windows not closed properly.

Always report the details to the police : 101

Always go to your Ward Meeting, the next one for East Dulwich is Weds February 3rd, from 6.30-8.30pm Christ Church

Please say how the bad guys got in so thinking can happen as to how to stop them getting in.

Start a Neighbourhood Watch on your street. I'll give you a starter pack if you PM me.

Well I've just come home this evening to my ground floor flat (near the station) to find I'd had some unexpected visitors. Stole a laptop. Picked up a guitar in the bedroom but thought better of it and left it on the kitchen floor, which is a pity because it's total junk, unplayable and I've been meaning to get rid of it for ages!

They got in through the back door which they forced open. Police came within the hour and they said that there have been a spate of burglaries in this area, and I know that burglaries go up around Christmas, perhaps becuase thieves know that people are likely to have new expensive goods still in their boxes.

Worst thing really was the embarrassment that my flat was such a mess when I left that I didn't notice the mess the burglars had made for about 5 minutes. Luckily the two coppers were too polite to comment on the piles of washing up in the sink.

Do check your doors and windows are locked when you go out, and perhaps leave a light on.

To all burglary victims, thanks for sharing and best of luck recovering. Not overly impressed with reports of the Police taking an hour to arrive. I'm now finally shocked into action and will improve my own house protection.

These articles were useful, thanks to ex-burglars 'going straight'.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/8915880/Burglar-produced-checklist-to-help-householders.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/property/advice/9627884/How-to-beat-the-burglars-this-winter.html

Ms Blueberry Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> To all burglary victims, thanks for sharing and

> best of luck recovering. Not overly impressed with

> reports of the Police taking an hour to arrive.

> I'm now finally shocked into action and will

> improve my own house protection.

>

> These articles were useful, thanks to ex-burglars

> 'going straight'.

>

> http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/89158

> 80/Burglar-produced-checklist-to-help-householders

> .html

>

> http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/property/advice

> /9627884/How-to-beat-the-burglars-this-winter.html

Thanks for the links

I'm graveling my side alley after reading the articles

I haven't read the linked articles but one thing that occurs to me every time it happens is that one of the very selfish neighbours in our road ALWAYS parks his massive van in front of any other house and NEVER his own......he could quite easily park it in another place that is near his house but not outside our homes....

I might have missed some detail so cut me slack but

calls are given codes for prioritizing I don't think there's anything so odd or unprofessional about that. If it's a "101" call i.e. the crime is "over" then what's happened becomes part of a "bigger" picture so that other steps can be planned or something about what happened to you might solve a larger problem and lead to a larger resolution. Or if your home is marked with smart water/ met trace (which is where Southwark hopes to go) then fenced items will get your goods back and crooks caught.

101 if a burglary is OVER and the job for the police is taking details in which case they aren't going to arrive immediately but schedule a visit. Tell them if your stuff is marked so that details can go to repos for stolen goods

999 is you see them running off etc

and make it clear to the responder if the burglars are still there or not