Books

We have a book voucher to spend on some new books for our 5 year old girl...any suggestions?

Whilst I am at it, here are some books we already have (which may give you an idea of the type of thing we like), and also ones I would recommend to others as Christmas is approaching;

Captain Flynn and the Pirate Dinosaurs and subsequent stories

Tyrannasaurus Drip

Dirty Berty

When Mummy Turned Into a Monster (every Mum should have a copy of this, it's great)

Stick Man

Gruffalo etc.

Molly

Our current favourites are:

This Rabbit Belongs to Emily Brown by Cressida Cowell

Meerkat Mail and Wolves both by Emily Gravitt

The Magic Paintbrush by Julia Donaldson

Mog and The Vet by Judith Kerr

The Dotty and Bluebell book by Jools Oliver

The Jolly Postman (minds gone blank now and i can't think of the author!)

Whilst I always feel diffident about making recommendations in case everyone hates my favourites, the top choices for (my) 5 year old are:

1. Ottoline ("Ottoline and the Yellow Cat" then "Ottoline goes to school") by Chris Riddell - slightly more complex text than lots of picture books and fantastic detailed pictures. Am currently waiting for the third installment "Ottoline Goes to Sea".

2. The Gaskitt family books by Allan Ahlberg - "The cat who got carried away", "The woman who won things", "The man who wore all his clothes" and " The children who smelled a rat" - great sequential stories

3. The Magic Faraway Tree by Enid Blyton if you can get over how ghastly she was. Great stories which are perfect bedtime length and mine don't seem to miss the pictures - good for comprehension.

I love them all!

I loved all tales by HC Andersen when i was a kid, they are beautifully written and you can either get full stories or shorter versions with lots of pictures; by Brothers Grimm and Astrid Lindgren (Peppy the Long Stocking, etc.), these are international authors that you would love to read to kids yourself, don't know much about the english ones.

Mr Men Books...Where can you buy the larger copies? I think they are about A4 in length and about 20cm in width.

Have googled it and tried amazon but its just giving me the tiny versions. My son got the large 'Mr Tickle' but I have no idea where he got it from...

Any ideas?

Thanks, some great suggestions here.

I used to love The Magic Faraway Tree, think I may even have a copy in the attic, will go and look!

I'd like to get something Christmas based to read to her on Christmas Eve so will have a hunt for something suitable and let you know if I find anything really cracking.

Molly