snow day, will it come?

karter

Seems like London escaped most of it, I just talked to a friend who was meant to be on a flight out of Luton this morning, he's still at Luton as his flight was cancelled (the inbound plane ended up in Birmingham, poor sods), managed to get the last 2 tickets for a flight tomorrow night so is settling down to camp out in the airport....and it's just started snowing there again.

Well my pond and birdbath are frozen solid...lots of thirsty little birds hopping and sliding about wondering what to do...so I have to keep smashing the ice in the pond with a mallet and pouring boiling water on the birdbath...no wonder I can't get warm! But so long as the little birds are alright eh?! Brrrhhhh.

*runs back inside*

Ladymuck Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Well my pond and birdbath are frozen solid...lots

> of thirsty little birds hopping and sliding about

> wondering what to do...so I have to keep smashing

> the ice in the pond with a mallet and pouring

> boiling water on the birdbath...no wonder I can't

> get warm! But so long as the little birds are

> alright eh?! Brrrhhhh.

>

Well if you're gonna go on about the birds - I've seen the little cheepies with ice skates on zooming down, across and up again much to my furry monsters amusement ;-)

> *runs back inside*

HAL9000 Wrote:

>That maybe down to the Urban Heat Island effect we

> are hearing so much about these days.

That's very interesting HAL9000. I've been saying for years that the open space where my allotment is situated (a mere 2/3 miles away from home) is always a few degrees colder than at home. It gets the frost sooner too...good for the parsnips though!

Interesting, I remember hearing somewhere that cities tend to be a few degrees warmer than the surrounding countryside. I have noticed looking at the overnight lows it definetly seems that London is warmer than the surrounding areas, also the snow seems to be all around London and not so much over it, although maybe the geography and possibly the Thames has something to do with it also.

Ladymuck Wrote:

> HAL9000 Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> >That maybe down to the Urban Heat Island effect

> we

> > are hearing so much about these days.

>

> That's very interesting HAL9000. I've been saying

> for years that the open space where my allotment

> is situated (a mere 2/3 miles away from home) is

> always a few degrees colder than at home. It gets

> the frost sooner too...good for the parsnips

> though!

My house sits in a micro climate, it's a frost trap ( see gardening books , they do exist ) some times I scrape the car off to get going, though no other cars I encounter outside of our road are effected. I get some curious looks at times

Worse still is when it snows, as each end of the lane kicks up a tad, enough to halt all but the smuggest 4x4 driver.

I can see the look on their faces "Yeah 4x4 in London, not such a bad Idea now ehh ? "

Still gauls me though, that is until I decide to buy one, then I shall defend it as an "absolute necessity"

"oh but when it snows, you'll see" I'll cry

W**F

....and the roads, Barry Rd is pretty much at a standstill, lots of people spinning their wheels in first gear, damm fools.

Seems to have stopped but is very dodgy out there, just managed to make it up the road during the worst of it.

also this from Station manager Barry re London Bridge

here

Left house at 4.20pm - got as far as Franklins (150 yards) in a temporary whiteout. Abandoned plans to meet mates in town as figured transport would be shortly be screwed. Had pint in Franklins watching Chaplin-esque scenes on the lane. Returned home to find broken glass, a 1 ft hole and an ice ball through my door window. If that was your kid / hoodie fecker and you own up then the damage will be about ?80 thanks. Little feckers.

Other half is stuck for two hours in car at Old Kent Road. This place goes to the dogs with a tiny bit of snow. Also now working on a plan B if airports are shut on Christmas eve....not confident in the infrastructure at all!