Amanda Holden becomes a midwife... did anyone see it?

Yes I did! I was planning on starting a thread about it (but forgot) so am glad you did. It made me feel quite emotional for some reason - those senior midwifes were just the coolest customers in the world - totally unfrazzlable! Couldn't help repeating over and over to hubby what an amazingly responsible job being a midwife is and how hard it must be. I loved how much they emphasised the need to care for and support the woman, as well as being on top of all the technicalities.

Didn't actually take too much notice of Amanda Holden - too busy squealing about the gore of birth!

Ok, about to be very controversial, but did anyone find themselves wishing the lady at the end had just pushed on pain and all? It all seemed to go so pear-shaped after the epidural, it seemed eerily quiet after she got the jab..... NOT judging people who choose to have epidurals, but I couldn't help but wonder.... I was also quite shocked about the reality of the Vantoose method (not sure how to spell) - I was proper squealing at that part!

I know, I've given birth but oh, the gore of it! Edited to add I had NO IDEA that is how the ventouse worked and the resus was frightening, I was in tears by this point!

I know exactly what you mean about midwives, they are amazing, aren't they? Such a massively important and responsible job. All the midwives I had at The Lanes were amazing and very unflappable, exactly like all the midwives on this program.

My own first child was a ventouse delivery, perhaps because I had an epidural, or it may have been that I couldn't have done it myself even without the epidural as it turned out her arm was in an odd position with her hand up to her face. What I do know is that I could not have pushed on despite the pain, I was at the end and could have done no more and the epidural (even though it didn?t work properly first time) was the best thing ever and the anaesthetist my best friend in the world.

My second labour was a breeze in comparison. It still hurt like hell, but a completely different, manageable pain so I was able to go through it with just water and two puffs of G&A. Be very grateful if you?ve only ever had labours like my second, but don?t ever assume that just because you know all the downsides of epidurals that when push comes to shove ('scuse the pun) you wouldn?t ever need one. Mine enabled me to give birth to a healthy baby girl. The woman on the programme?s little boy was doing well and that had been achieved with an epidural and ventouse. We have no way of knowing what might have happened had those options not been available to her.

(I was in tears too, and was really impressed by Holden.)

Did anyone notice though, that Amanda came rushing back frm the airport to get into her blues for the birth all actions stations but her nail varnish had changed from red to silver mid way through the drama!

me thinks it was rather a set up. But at least she didnt come across as suggesting that being a midwife is a breeze.

hi I watched it today and amanda did really well, was impressed the way she seemed to calm down and became less in your face and took it seriously.

Have to say though bonce I read your post before watching so took note and her nails were still red when she was in the labour and throughout it.

Im guessing the bit when you see her come out of the room and look teary was from another day and another labour as they are blue at that point but then when she is in what looks like a staff room and actually talking about that birth in detail she looks knackered and I think they were back to red.

I bet they didnt have a good enough shot of her coming out of the room so used one from a different day.

was a very interesting prog though, made me very emotional and lots of memories flooding back, When my daughter was born they took her away from me and over to a table before I held her.

I didnt realise that there was anything wrong as they were talking to her just as the midwives were talking to the baby at the end,

My hubby had seen her though and knew that she wasnt breathing, He has tried to tell me since what she was like in those first few moments but only after seeing this prog have a truly realised how scared he must have been seeing our little girl looking so lifeless and pale for the first few moments.

We were very lucky and she is a happy enthusiastic 2 year old now but makes you appreciate what the midwives have to face each day.

I was blubbing when the baby was delivered ( what the hell is wrong with me and the constant blubbing?!) it was so horrible seeing him like, and Amanda did so well keeping her cool, I think I would have been in absolute shock seeing him come out like that. My son was fine when he popped out, he didn't cry at all, think he was too drugged up for that, but he was a mobile blue rubber legged little thing!

I just watched it after seeing your comments as had no intention before...I am not a mother myself yet and I have to say I found it quite interesting and by all means not because of Amanda Holden...no idea who proposed to have her there?! it was however very interesting to see what happens and how it happens and what if this that or other...so thanks Lorraine!

Well said Gubodge. I had an unbearably painful first labour for various reasons including posterior baby and involving epidural and forceps in the end. I felt guilty afterwards, hearing how other people had apparently coped with their labour. THEN, I had my second labour - no pain relief and, almost, no midwife present. Painful yes but an enjoyable experience with manageable pain. Just goes to show, all labours and births are different. You can never judge someone else's pain or experience!

I finally got a chance to watch this at lunchtime today, and really enjoyed it. I also admit to tears when the baby wasn't crying, how scary! I quite enjoyed Amanda Holden on it, am not her biggest fan but saw a different side to her which I liked.

Thanks for the heads up on this Lorraine.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally managed to watch this tonight, having recorded it. It was just amazing. I've always harboured a secret regret that I didn't train as a midwife, but I am so blown away by what they do, I can't imagine actually doing such an amazing job myself. I guess I should have trained when I was young enough to be over confident in that respect. I worry now that having had 2 very easy births myself (lucky cow I know) that I might not cope with the reality of the more difficult births. I have such huge respect for the job midwives do, they are amazing women.

I totally related to what Amanda said about 'women together making it happen' and how glad she is to be female, I think all of us who have given birth are amazing (however it ends up happening)!

The other problem is that I cry every time I see a baby born on TV, I am totally hopeless. I wonder how many births I'd have to be at before that would stop happening (even if once I was out of the room like Amanda)?

Did anyone else think the baby boy at the end looked quite big? Would have been nice to know what he weighed in at. I too was amazed to see the effects of the Ventouse, I knew it leaves bruising etc. but didn't realise quite how aggressive it is immediately afterwards, poor little thing. So glad he was OK.

I really envy Amanda Holden getting to have this experience.

Molly

Ooh Molly, I'm so with you on that. I'm just desperate to train in Midwifery (blooming kids - getting in the way of my plans for world domination again). I was very jealous of AH.

I thought AH did very well much to my surprise, & the transition from AH, 'entertainer' to AH, compassionate professional woman was fascinating to watch.

Did anyone spot our Nunhead NCT teacher, Becky in her role as 'professional medical actress'(when AH had her trial of labour test)? She was fab, well done Becky!

Sillywoman, I thought Becky was amazing, don't know her, but she played the role really well.

In the last year or two I have tried to think of a way to train as a midwife, but like you, with the children it just isn't possible right now to commit the time or energy to it, not to mention trying to do night shifts and things with my hubby's job and no family near by. I feel frustrated, but after watching the programme also just a little bit relieved to have a valid excuse as it looks mega scary during the training process! I'm a wimp, I admit it.

I look back to when I was living at home in my early 20's with parents who would have been 100% supportive of any choice of career and wish I could go back and shake myself. Hindsight is a wonderful thing eh?!

Molly

I think a lot of it comes down to personality - some you click with and some you don't. In the States women have mostly male Gynacologists (I think) and it is all seen as normal (though I too find it odd and prefer the idea of a woman I have to say).

In my first labour I had never met either midwife before but connected with the main one pretty well, her 2nd though was a frosty creature who hardly said a word, very strange.

Second time I had the wonderful Brierley and knew my midwives very well by the time I gave birth. I was lucky enough for my key midwife to be there at the birth, fate was kind and she was free to stay with me beyond the end of her shift which was wonderful, and both she and her '2nd' have stayed in touch, and even came to baby C's first birthday party!

I always imagined I'd prefer to have a midwife who had given birth herself, but neither of the midwives at my 2nd birth had done so yet, both were relatively young too, but they were totally in tune with me and understanding. Just brilliant in every way.

I guess it is just the luck of the draw with these things, but much nicer to have someone there you 'connect' with.

My sister says in her labour (23 years ago) she was holding on the hospital bed headboard during a contraction as it felt helpful and the midwife told her to stop being such a drama queen....can you imagine?! I think I might have sworn at her if it had been me!

Molly