Rugby matters

Narnia

I watched England vs France from 1995 on ESPN classic yesterday. It was quite upsetting. England played with pace and adventure, combining powerful runs from the likes of Rodber and Ben Clarke, impressive and effective mauling led by Dean Richards and Brian Moore, intelligent kicking for territory by Rob Andrew, and then spinning it wide to take advantage of Guscott and the Underwoods.

Verdict on the England match from Saturday - not good, its just all so pedastrian. But a few lessons from the 95 team - when things have slowed down then kick, but kicks have to be effective - either gain the yardage and make touch or cause problems with a nicely weighted garryowen, don't aimlessly hit it up the field. Get big forwards to take the ball at pace, not amble into contact for a net loss of ground. Mauling is an underused art, it ties up defenders and wears them out, creating space for the backs. Ho Hum

Possibly the most unusual penalty award of all time. Scarlets Lou Reed running towards and shouting at Ulster's Andrew Trimble as he was about to kick to touch in open play.Ungentlemanly conduct. Perhaps he was singing to him?

Predictions and team news for the weekend, gents:

Ireland v Wales

Ireland are unchanged, so Murphy at 15 and Sexton keeping O'Gara out the team. For Wales, Martyn Williams takes over as captain for the injured Ryan Jones, Delve starts at 8, Charteris "the Giant" is in the second row and Matthew Rees returns. In the backs, Mike Phillips fails to make the bench but the rest are unchanged.

Prediction: Ireland by 5 points

Scotland v England

The Scots make just one change with De Luca replacing Danielli at centre. England have resisted gambling (yet again) retaining Armitage at 15 but dropping Lewis Moody and bringing Joe 'Wurzles' Worsley into the back row. Deacon keeps his place at lock replacing the injured Simon Shaw. *Yawn*

Prediction: Scotland by 3 points

France v Italy

Monster-centre Bastereaud is dropped to the bench through injury and Malzieu is replaced on the wing by some other quick French fella. Does it matter if Italy make changes or not?!

Prediction: France by 15 points

david_carnell Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Prediction: Ireland by 5 points

Ireland by 15 - good victory for the Irish but points difference means they'll have to settle for the Triple Crown regardless of next weekend's results.

> Prediction: Scotland by 3 points

A bore-draw. Where to begin? But for the woodwork (twice) Dan Parks would have kicked Scotland to victory as England were poor again. Further injuries and nothing-to-lose will hopefully mean some fresh faces and a bit more invention against the French next weekend. Scotland might be hoping to sneak something against the Irish but without tries it seems unlikely.

> Prediction: France by 15 points

France by 26! Superb performance and Gallic running flair rugby at it's most devastating. Strength in depth, the Grand Slam nearly in the bag.....what price for the World Cup next year?

Re: Scotlands draw with England.

Haskell has shown his true colours as the pretender I always knew he was. There's no use looking like Tarzan if you're going to play like Jane. Borthers, Deacon, Easter and Worsley all had a hand in sullying the Rose by consistently conceeding ground in the collision. It took that scruffy oik Foden to actually biff and bloody those savages at Murryfield.

A sad revelation for the England XV.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Yes I came across that one Declan thanks. If I have to stand up to see parts of the game, presumably when the ball is in the corner closest to my seat, then I'm ok with that. My ticket was only euro35 face value, so I'd much rather be there than not.

Apparently there are some overhang issues which might obstruct a view of the high ball in other seats.

• 2 weeks later...

Are you going to Cheltenham en route Mick?

Anyway the rugby is upon us and I've been trying to work out who is going to win. Here is my case for Ireland. Feel free to put yours forward too.

Ireland start away to Italy with a lot of newcomers due to injury. However, they should be good enough in the backs to get a win, albeit narrow.

France at home and hopefully a few more players now available. Always difficult to beat but home advantage might be enough.

Scotland and then Wales away. Great records in both places in recent years. Should win one out of the two.

That's three wins out of four.

Last game, England at home. England have 3 games at home after the Welsh match. I can see them going for either the championship or a Grand Slam in Dublin. I also see them losing there.

So I reckon it's down to points difference. England will stuff Italy by more points than Ireland will. England to win.......

I wouldn't bet on it though. That's why I'd bet on Ireland!