Public transport to Heathrow with a baby

Keef

Hi, we are flying from Heathrow in a couple of weeks, with our, by then, 9 month old daughter. We may just get a cab, or a lift if we're lucky, but my wife was wondering if anyone knew of any good public transport options that we might not of considered.

Thanks

Not too difficult by tube, having just done it with two children... train to Victoria (from Denmark Hill), district line to Hammersmith where change platforms to the one right beside (i.e. no steps or walking) then Pic line all the way to Heathrow. Think took about 1.5 hours door to door, but at least you know you won't get stuck in traffic...

Good luck.

Just remember, one person will have baby/pram/baby bag, so the other person has everything else......... depends on how light you are traveling I guess, but I would rather eat a rotten sausage served in a dirty ashtray than put myself through that.::o

If you can't get a lift, for the love of God, take a cab. Life's too short.

That could work.

Mrs Keef was suggesting she take baby on transport, and I get cab with other friends travelling with us, and all the luggage.

Think Mrs Keef wants to avoid taking the baby seat, but buggy strapped in may be the answer...

train to LB, lift to jubilee line platform, tube to westminster, lift to district line, district line to hammersmith or barons court, walk across platform to picadilly line, tube to heathrow. No steps. One person with buggy, one with suitcases - POP.

Yes. Not much longer than going victoria and avoids having to get down the steps there. Another step (but not escalator) free route would be 37 to brixton, victoria line to oxford circus, cross over the bakerloo line on next platform, bakerloo line to paddington, then heathrow express.

Keef, someone had a recommendation in the local business section once about a very child friendly taxi firm that had baby seats. Sorry not to remember the name! We travel a lot so always use a cab as it is so much easier/faster and saves on the stress of public transport, imho.

Good luck.

A couple of years ago we used a company called simply courteous ( google it and its the first hit) and they were great. We put our baby car seat in when they picked us up, then they kept it at their office until we flew in again. It wasn't cheap but there were lots of us and they had an enormous people mover so per head it was very reasonable. Would definitely do it again and would never consider public transport with a baby/buggy/suitcases unless I really couldn't scrape the money together for an easier option. Have a good trip!

• 2 weeks later...

This thread reminds me...last year when we flew to Spain with Easyjet, at check in we were asked if we had a baby car seat to check through....we didn't....but the Easyjet check in lady said they will take baby car seats, travel cots etc. free of charge as essential items!

Has anyone else come across this? I was amazed as I thought Easyjet charged for EVERYTHING extra. Not sure I'd want to trust my 'best' car seat to the luggage handlers, but we do have a spare one for relatives etc. that I'd risk, and I know Soup Dragon do zip up travel bags for car seats.

Has anyone ever flown Easyjet and taken a car seat with them? Worth it if you have a hire car at the other end I reckon.

Molly

if you didnt want to get a black cab but still want to do taxi without car seat you can take a baby in a taxi legally without a carseat. We dont have a car so never had a car seat so we used to put baby in sling strapped to me then when putting your seat belt on fasten it then lift it over baby and back down between baby and your chest. Everyone is safely strapped in and no problems with what to do with seat at the airport or entrusting it in a cab office while you are away. I just used to keep a hand on the back of her head incase of sudden braking. obviously not ideal but great solution when you dont have a seat and when I looked into it its perfectly safe as you are strapped in and baby strapped to you.

Just a thought - beware of kids getting car-sick in taxis. If you haven't done the trip out of London in a car before, it's a prime journey for a pukker with lots of stopping and starting and taxi drivers aren't known for giving a smooth ride. Baby covered in sick isn't a good way to start a holiday. I speak from bitter experience!!

Ah yes, very good point nunheadmum, we've had that happen more than once too, especially if leaving soon after a meal.

If going anywhere early morning we now leave without breakfast and then have something later (or get up in time to leave a good hour or more between eating and travelling).

Nightmare.

When booking flights I actually try to go for ones that will potentially also make for easy travelling to and from the airport, avoiding peak times etc. too.

Molly

We've just flown from Heathrow with a 7 month and used a local firm that provided a car seat - if you're still stuck I'll get the number for you (just trying to find it now) They were great! It was about 50 pounds I think ..

Also, leaving your car at the airport isn't a bad option as it works out just as cheap/expensive!

Otherwise I"d second njc97 and go that route - I've done it a few times now when seeing off friends/family and gone along for the ride - just wouldn't recommend it in peak times obviously - but it takes about as long as the cab ride (sounds like a lot but its really not.)

Train from Forest Hill to London Victoria would be a better route but there are stairs at Victoria from the train to the tube .. not fun!

I am doing the same thing - going with a baby to Heathrow. Camberwell Cars quoted me ?40 for a regular saloon car which I didnt think was too bad.

Nappy Lady, yes I've flown with easyJet and we were able to take a buggy, travel cot and car seat for free. It was great. Sent the car seat through(wrapped it in a big black sack) and it was fine. Used them three times last year and happy with them each time