Dreadful Jobs

Huguenot

If I'm honest I have done a lot of meaningless shite for idiots to use for their own not always altruistic purposes in my 'proper' career - I enjoyed most of the 'manual jobs' I did in my youth often more than some of my proper jobs but wouldn't want to have done them as a career.

If I'm honest I have done a lot of meaningless shite for idiots to use for their own not always altruistic purposes in my 'proper' career - I enjoyed most of the 'manual jobs' I did in my youth often more than some of my proper jobs but wouldn't want to have done them as a career.

1968, welding machine operator in a factory making shock absorbers. Standing on a palette in front of two huge high tension machines (the thermionic valves in them were the size of a small TV, iirc). Pick up prepared tube and base, insert in rig, secure, press start button, wait till done, remove, place in quenching bin of water, pick up prepared .... A 70 second cycle, I think, repeated for eight or more hours. I managed twenty weeks before getting signed off sick.

The smell in the men's lav was extraordinary and particularly unpleasant. It didn't seem quite organic. I've no idea really what it was, but I remember thinking then that it was what happened when people's systems absorbed various industrial fumes all day.

I have to vote the poor chaps who work for Dyno Rod as having the worst jobs.... but they were so lovely and friendly as they stuck their arms into our basement/rotten sewage/pump thing.

(The joys of discovering the hard way that flushable baby wipes cannot go through a pump)

Declan Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Manchester United dressing room cleaner May 2010

> Seeing those players shot and then

> hung up with their bodies still wriggling. I was

> told they were dead but it didn't look like it.

I remember having a cleaning job in a pub when I was 14. The men's toilets were grim - I used to run in, throw some bleach around and run back out. I was then promoted to washing up in the kitchen, and sometimes got to make the odd sandwich. Highlight for me was when the actor who played Uncle Albert in Only Fools and Horses came in to the pub and I served him. Shame I knew he was getting a frozen microwaved lasagne.

My worst one was a summer job, as a teenager, in a small hotel in the middle of nowhere (no exaggeration) and the hotel bar was frequented by a handful of locals (usually old men). I hated it when anyone ordered a drink that wasn't a 'normal' drink. For example, one of these regulars drank dark rum and ..milk (?!) So I would leave the tiny bar area and go to the kitchen to get the milk...and bring back this horrible, gunky looking drink. Only to be told I hadn't mixed it correctly...*rolls eyes* And this went on all summer....I try to order fairly usual drinks in bars now :)

Mayfair hotel.

Cleaning the toilets including scrubbing the toilets bowls and urinals, once you get into it it ain't that bad, just turning up each morning was a bit of a challenge. After 6 months I 'graduated' to Houseporter, hoovering the corridors, moving furniture, polishing mirrors, and, best of all..... ferrying the clean linen to the chambermaids in the rooms being turned over ;-)

Mick Mac Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Declan Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Manchester United dressing room cleaner May

> 2010

> > Seeing those players shot and then

> > hung up with their bodies still wriggling. I

> was

> > told they were dead but it didn't look like it.

Where's the 'misquote this message' button Admin? All I'll say to you Mick is Falkirk!