Threatened with knife by Goose Green (Lounged)

seanmlow

This happened a month or so back, and given the current climate, thought I would put it on here.

I was buying some wine with my brother in the newsagent near Locale near Goose Green. I was at the end of the shop and my brother was buying some cigarettes.

A guy came in and asked him for 50p. My brother said no, so he asked again. My brother again said no, later telling me he was fed up with feeling intimidated on his doorstep.

The guy then lend up against my brother, opened his coat, and exposed a small kitchen knife. He then said, 'I respect your decision, bruv, but will be waiting for you later'. Luckily, we both walked out the shop together quickly and nothing happened. The shopkeeper was shaken up, but told me it happens regularly.

It does worry me so much - if this was late at night, he could have been waiting in the alley by the play ground.

Should one just give in and hand over the money, even if it is just 50p?

On the other hand, we all work hard to afford to live here, so why should we give in?!

But it is not really about the 50p is it?

It is their way of saying 'we are in control here - so do as we say'. I understand it is often better to just give in to avoid being hurt, but where do we draw the line?

Blame the council and react accordingly - some of us (not I!) voted them in. There are now so many halfway houses along East Dulwich Grove, filled with druggies and assorted riffraff, your hair would stand on end if you realised what's happening. Parts of East Dulwich are more than 'unsafe' - they're dangerous. Do you see police patrolling on foot, early or late? No. I no longer go anywhere on foot on my own after dark, as I used to. (And I've been told it dangerous in broad daylight as well.)

Don't I remember a thread about how the probation service were moving in next to the swimming pool or something like that, and i was surprised at the time how noone seemed to connect this with the possibility of more crime in the area?

RoseK Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Blame the council and react accordingly - some of

> us (not I!) voted them in. There are now so many

> halfway houses along East Dulwich Grove, filled

> with druggies and assorted riffraff, your hair

> would stand on end if you realised what's

> happening.

I know exactly what is happening thanks and my hair is not standing on end at all! NIMBYism at it's worst. As a member of society we have an obligation to look after those more unfortunate than ourselves.

I am really hoping your post was tongue in cheek.

ratty Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> RoseK Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Blame the council and react accordingly - some

> of

> > us (not I!) voted them in. There are now so

> many

> > halfway houses along East Dulwich Grove, filled

> > with druggies and assorted riffraff, your hair

> > would stand on end if you realised what's

> > happening.

>

> I know exactly what is happening thanks and my

> hair is not standing on end at all! NIMBYism at

> it's worst. As a member of society we have an

> obligation to look after those more unfortunate

> than ourselves.

>

> I am really hoping your post was tongue in cheek.

As a member of society I have a right to feel safe where I live. Perhaps these more fortunate members might consider not attempting to mug less fortunates as they go about their business.

I find the following comment laughable:

As a member of society we have an

> obligation to look after those more unfortunate

> than ourselves.

>

Yes, to a certain extend, we are. However, by 'look after' do you mean hand over my wallet, phone, and car keys, and say 'thanks for not stabbing me, on your way now'.

Please. I think if a relative/friend of yours was attacked, your somewhat altruistic attitude may change somewhat.

Agree with the response to Mr Liberal. Not sure what the solution to this knife crime issue - there probably isn't one - but trying to feel sorry for these criminals isn't it. There will always be poorer sections of society who lack the opportunties that the rest of us have but that doesn't mean we should treat them with compassion when they turn to crime. I am disappointed by the police though. You only ever see them when they are driving at 50mph with sirens wailing. They should be patrolling on foot more often.

MitchK - When did anyone say we should feel sorry for criminals?

Someone tried to suggest that riff-raff in half-way houses were criminals, to which someone said, not unreasonably, that less fortunate people could do with care rather than condemnation. At no point has anyone suggested that someone in a "half-way house" is DEFINITELY a criminal, I hope. I've lived next door to one for 7 years and get on fine with the people that live there

Repeated stats show that police foot patrols do little or nothing to reduce crime. The average foot patrol sees one crime being committed every fours years and even then isn't guaranteed to catch the perpitrator.

They are one of the most ineffectual methods of policing and yet people still clamour for them. Bizarre.

I live nearly opposite said newsagents and have never experienced any trouble there or in the nearby area. I sympathise with Seanmlow's situation but do not think it is representative of a more widescale problem.

Nor is the idea that "half-way houses" are full of "druggies" whose aim is to do nothing but steal your valuables with threats of violence particulary helpful. These are often societies most vunerable members, suffering from mental health issues of with histories of being victims themselves. The idea that "parts of of East Dulwich are more than 'unsafe' - they're dangerous" is frankly ridiculous. Both myself and my two female housemates often walk around alone after dark and have never encountered any problems.

The culture of fear that some members of this forum insist on trying to foist on others is beginning to become depressing. You live in a lovely part of one of the world's greatest cities and yet continually seek to find reasons to loathe it and its inhabitants. Problems exist, of that there is no doubt, but for the vast majority of the people, for the vast majority of the time this is a safe and pleasant place to live and work. Enjoy it for once.

Fook me, I have never been called Mr Liberal before. I cannot see where I suggest that we pander to muggers either. In fact my opinion is totally the opposite. What I do take offence to is people blaming the "half way houses" and calling the inhabitants riff raff.

These people are my clients, they do not mug people, they are a world away from the cowardly little coonts that do.

Just my opinion of course.

Mr Liberal?? PMSL! http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/frech/o050.gif

I heard from a customer that a couple were standing at the bus stop by the post office on LL and the lady was on the phone, a couple of guys walked up to them and asked her to hand the phone over she said no and they took it off her and walked off. How much do we have tp put up with before we say enough!!!!

Where do you draw the line about what constitutes being mugged? Is there a difference between someone asking you for 50p and a cigarette or for your phone/wallet? Luckily i've never been asked for the latter but am repeatedly asked on a daily basis for the former and i always say no, can't stand the thought of being intimidated into doing something. Can't honestly say it would be the same if it was someone asking for my wallet, guess it depends on how you assess the situation at the time and at how much of a risk you perceive there to be, although this is arguably becoming increasingly difficult to assess.

Just to add to the general picture: this morning, on Peckham Rye, an elderly woman mugged by young black male. He asked her for directions and then ripped a necklace off her neck. She was very badly shaken and incredibly upset and this is the second time she has been mugged in the area in the last year.