Shopping Parade near East Dulwich Station

Lordship Lane is populated by fashionable restaurants and bars yet the road from the EDT to the station remains a mecca of dirty kebab shops and dodgy looking bookies. Any idea why and is this likely to change soon?

Apologies if this topic has already been discussed

Talk was of a new library and flats to go on the site of the Garden centre, I assume that's still going ahead. If they ever manage to get a coffee shop to lease the vacant space below the new flats opposite the station, that might give the ED Grove stretch a boost. It's been To Let for over a year now so don't hold your breath.

EDOldie Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> isn't there a libary there? or am i making that

> up?

xxxxxxx

There is indeed a tiny library on the side opposite the station :)

There's nothing wrong with a little grott. From the slightly creepy school uniform shop, the bike-type shop that wants to hide itself away, the assembled beer guts at the tyre place and of course, the legendary owner of the hardware shop with the wavey hair.

There's obviously a market for them.

SeanMacGabhann Wrote:

> Indeed it does - I hope VBC isn't one of those

> people that can't drink coffee unless it's

> from.... no I can't bring myself to say it

Not.... St@r*****!!!!

I was hoping you might credit me with some more sense SMG. I friggin-well hate the place (Mr VBC and I have actually had MAJOR rows abt his SBs addiction)

No, something independent and quirky for me please.

* does a quick search for that sketch in The Simpsons where someone goes to Starbucks only for the shutter to slam down - the camera pulls back and you see shutters coming down in every Starbucks in the world. the a little LED appears on each shutter saying "Temporary shutdown - Commencing Phase 2" *

* can't find it and figures the description will have to suffice *

There is a lovely little music shop on Grove Vale - very near the Bluebird Bakery. My partner is a musician and finds the owner really helpful and he will order in stuff for you as well. The library is very friendly and they have good kids activities as well. I kinda like this stretch of shops really - it's actually quite a diverse little mix of shops and you can get most of what you might need - newspapers, coffee, sheet music and instruments (and other musical bits and bobs), running shoes, antique furniture, a fry up, gardening gear, bread and yummy cakes.

all Grove Vale needs is a little attention, the shops are good and Shauns DIY has saved me so many times. The garden cnetre is very useful (shame it is going) and the new bakery is great. Dry cleaners and Shoe shop is great...also wich i have space for some of the furniture. However maxim chicken is rank

cdonline Wrote:

> ... the

> bike-type shop that wants to hide itself away,...

That's the triathlon shop. One of my favourite haunts. They'll video you on a treadmill to ensure you buy the correct running shoes as part of the service... quality establishment.

TJS Wrote:

The garden cnetre is very useful (shame it

> is going)

Okay, I've missed something! Can someone direct me to the thread about the garden centre? I don't want to see it go, it's great!