What's the state of Peckham Rye park like these days?

Pagey

Just wondering what Peckham Rye park is like these days..it used to be the pits when you compared it to Dulwich Park. My parents used to say it was actually better than Dulwich Park in the 1960s, it had nice gardens, brass bands playing there etc. Is it worth a visit ?

Trolls out again?

The park has just had a couple of million quid spent on it - even before that, it had way more going for it than Dulwich Park. More little hidden corners, better cared for, more treas, more wildlife and less dog poop.

As for urban 'squallor' surrounding it? Hmmm, Forest Hill at one end, Nunhead on one side and East Dulwich on the other. What exactly do you mean?

I love Peckham Rye Park, and much prefer it to Dulwich. Definitely worth a visit, it's great. You're unlikely to find a band performing, but it's generally a lot quieter and somehow has a more tranquil feel than Dulwich Park.

I love Peckham Rye park. I actually live much nearer Dulwich Park but tend to choose PRP for my daily dog walking over Dulwich for the sheer variety and beauty of it - I love the meadow-y bit, the formal beauty of Sexby gardens, fantastic planting, I love seeing the seasons change (even though that tells me that I really must be getting old). Dulwich Park is really rather boring with its circular carriage way layout if you compare the two. Oh yes, and I think the cafe is much better at the rye.

I'm not sure the dog has an opinion but my hunch is he also favours PRP.

I also love Peckham Rye Park and am a member of the Friends of Peckham Rye Park which has a website and they have a meeting at the cafe next week. The fete was fabulous. Did you not go?

Oh - and I am part of the urban squalor that lives on the SE15 Nunhead/Peckham Rye side of it, overlooking it, so I do so hope you're not too offended or put off but that's London for you :)

Another fan of Peckham Rye park here -

But I'm not sure what the problem with Dulwich Park is Dez - am I given to understand that yummy mummies is a term that you are using negatively? And given that I suspect the negative definition of yummy mummy includes over-protection of their kids why oh why would they take them to a park with "crazy dogs"? Surely the last place they would go?

thanks for comments folks..you've convinced PRP is worth a visit when I'm next in the area.

Kind of agree Dulwich Park is a bit over rated, man they even got rid of that avaiary, that was the higlight of the park

Comparisons are a bit silly aren't they? They're both lovely parks. Personally I think we're lucky to have such good green spaces where you can get out and clear your head. Dulwich Park is lovely, so is the beautiful Peckham Rye. Horniman Gardens are splendid too. One Tree Hill is also worth a wander. And there's the glorious Dulwich Woods, massive Crystal Palace park, Sydenham Wells. Sorry, don't mean to bore on, but I think we're a lucky lot in this respect...

Hello. My parents are 80 years of age and they have always lived in south london. Dad hadn't been to peckham rye park since he was a child. He remembered that there was a POW camp there and that was that. 3 weeks ago took parents to peckham rye park and they loved it. I would say it is the a wonderful place to chil out. You must look out for the herons in the lake. Visit the encl;osed gardens. It is fab. A true south london oasis.

Well said, Paul. We're exceptionally lucky round here to have lots of green spaces to wander around and in.

I tend to use Dulwich Park more since it's easier to run around if you're trying to track distance/speed since the carriage way is a mile and it's flatter. I run around Peckham Rye on 'easy' runs when I'm only out for furn. If I'm picnicking I use the Horniman Gardens since the slopes/hills there mean that it rarely seems crowded. I'd say that they've all got more good points than bad.

Applespider Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Well said, Paul. We're exceptionally lucky round

> here to have lots of green spaces to wander around

> and in.

>

> I tend to use Dulwich Park more since it's easier

> to run around if you're trying to track

> distance/speed since the carriage way is a mile

> and it's flatter. I run around Peckham Rye on

> 'easy' runs when I'm only out for furn. If I'm

> picnicking I use the Horniman Gardens since the

> slopes/hills there mean that it rarely seems

> crowded. I'd say that they've all got more good

> points than bad.

Pretty much why me moved here (Melford Road). Dulwich Park 5 minutes one way, Horniman five the other, and Peckham Rye maybe 10 another.

anyway putting aside the outrageous length of time it has taken to regenerate this park - It is now a really beautiful Park, really busy and really well used. We are all really lucky to have these 2 parks Dulwich and Peckham Rye on our doorsteps amd thanks to all involved and all their hard work in getting them into their current conditions. It's great that children get to experience them.

.....oh and can the council please please look down the back of the Couch in Chambers and find the money to bring the outdated play area in Peckham Rye park bought up to scratch...please ?

In the words of NIck Clegg - "If we want a political system that works for the future, we need to start again. From scratch. Let start at Peckham Rye and get this play area working and working well" Extract from conference speech.

lindylou Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hello. My parents are 80 years of age and they

> have always lived in south london. Dad hadn't

> been to peckham rye park since he was a child. He

> remembered that there was a POW camp there and

> that was that. 3 weeks ago took parents to

> peckham rye park and they loved it. I would say

> it is the a wonderful place to chil out. You must

> look out for the herons in the lake. Visit the

> encl;osed gardens. It is fab. A true south

> london oasis.

There was a programme on ITV a few weeks ago which touched on the POW camps. Programme was 'Disappearing London' hosted by Suggs. The POW were Italian if I recall correctly and were generally left alone to get on with it. One of the huts which is now a nursery group is now a listed building. You could probably track the programme down online if interested.