Shocking driving at GG roundabout

Louisa

This has been covered before, numerous times. But I really think some drivers need to take a fresh look at the Highway Code. When you are approaching a zebra crossing, you should always approach with caution and slowly. I know the roundabout at Goose Green is often busy and it's sometimes difficult to not half pull across the actual crossing point when trying to get onto the roundabout itself, but always approach with caution just in case a pedestrian is already on, or about to cross. Recently seen some horrendous driving, someone almost knocked down earlier as a speeding BMW came around the roundabout from LL heading towards EDR and a pedestrian half way across the crossing had to run at speed for fear of the car not being able to stop. It's just not on, slow down a bit, especially when you're in a 20mph zone. I'm a driver and pedestrian myself so can appreciate both points of view, but there really is no excuse for making a pedestrian have to fear for there safety on a crossing. Rant over.

Louisa.

BMW drivers do tend to fit all the stereotypes about narcissistic, self important ignorant people who think the vehicle they're driving gives them some sort of free pass to drive like an arse. If they were that great they'd be driving a proper car like a Ferrari, Aston Martin or Bentley. But we all know that the average BMW driver is a wannabewho can't afford something better. Second rant over.

Louisa.

Happens on all zebras. I've often banged the side panel of vans and cars which have driven over the crossing while I've been on it. (Especially that one by Warwick Gardens.) Sometimes the driver stops for a lively discussion, so I don't recommend my approach unless you're confident of outrunning gorillas in white vans, who can at times be liberal with offers of violence :)

In the present season, there's no need for banging. It's amazing how much more care drivers take when you approach a crossing waving a large umbrella with apparently careless abandon. Particularly BMW drivers: blind to Belisha beacons, but to a man they can spot a paintwork hazard from 300 yards.

Toffee Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I blame local councils. What idiots would place a

> zebra crossing on or near a roundabout? The most

> dangerous being the crossing by the Mind shop.

There's a great line in the Half Man Half Biscuit song "Breaking News": "...People who blame the council for litter, never stopping to think that it's people who drop litter, not the council..."

Personally I blame the drivers who refuse to obey the Highway Code by slowing and preparing to stop as they come to a roundabout and also checking zebra crossings for people waiting to cross. What makes these crossings dangerous is drivers refusing to obey the rules of the road, not the siting of the crossings. It's actually quite logical and commonplace to have zebras on or near roundabouts, as if drivers are complying with the law they should be slowing/stopping there anyway.

rendelharris, I think this particular crossing is a mixture of both, as you say drivers refusing to obey** the Highway Code, but the siting, in this day and age, should be called into question, although I have to concede that it was there back in the sixties/seventies.

** perhaps "follow" would be the more appropriate verb.

BMW drivers do seem particularly bad... I don't know why, but dickheads seem attracted to BMWs. Same applies to Range Rovers and Porsche Cayenne.

adonirum Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> where do Jags and Volvos fit into your hierarchical grading system?

Volvo - worthy types who want it to be known that they don't flash their cash, and probably claim to be fans of the Nordic economic model

Jaguar - very old men

If people do feel strongly that this bit of LL needs traffic calming, you could put it to James Barber perhaps?

BMW drivers do seem to be prone to aggression and lack of consideration. It was one of them who followed me down Railton Road Saturday before last shouting at me for doing an emergency stop when he reversed at speed out of a side road around a parked van that he couldn't possible see around. Pardon me for not letting you kill me.

They're TK Maxx cars - entry level for idiots who believe that a brand name says something about you (other than you're a d1ck).

And another thing?

Zig-zag lines.

Looking at you, Bellenden Road users. And you lot on East Dulwich Grove.

Bellenden Road needs someone issuing parking tickets for vehicles stopped on the zig-zags. Scooters, vans, cars, you name it.

EDG suffers from overtaking. Scooters and cyclists overtaking moving vehicles, sometimes on the inside.

Don't stop on the zig-zags. Don't overtake moving vehicles. If you're riding, you can pass stationary traffic but don't go over the crossing if you can't see that it's clear.

/rant

Don't know whether if was a BMW but some large shiny black car went through the red at a very high speed on the pedestrian crossing just past the top end of Underhill Road recently (near the Horniman) and I literally had to jump out of its way as I was already crossing.

Shouting at it was pretty useless as by then it was well gone :(

I was taught that when coming to a roundabout, you should always indicate which direction you are going. As a car driver (old Ford Focus) I am fed up with those cars coming down LL who do not indicate that they are going into ED Road. I have had a few near misses as I approach the roundabout and crossing from Grove Vale. Also some pedestrians are so busy with their mobile phones and just walk out onto the crossing and seem surprised/angry when they hear a squeal of brakes.

GG roundabout is a pinch point it's like playing super mario only at 5-15mph

in order to get your vehicle through you are required to jump through several hoops

1. Avoid bus lanes

2. Avoid bus stop

3. Avoid busses

4. Avoid smashing your wheels against curbs

5. Avoid roundabout

6. Avoid idiot drivers who straddle two lanes

7. Avoid indecisive drivers navigating roundabout

8. Avoid pedestrians who amble across roundabout

9. Avoid cyclists

I'm sure I've missed a few other dangers trucks white van drivers

Oh and the squeeze through and around the roundabout which is twice as big as it should be.

Most drivers are overwhelmed by this and they frustrate other drivers and that causes danger.

IMHO it's a badly designed roundabout junction

Or

It's intentionally designed to create confusion to slow traffic

The result is a frustrating and dangerous junction for all who use it

I'm surprised there aren't double digit problems there on a daily basis ... oh hold on there are ! Arguments near misses and contact on a frequent basis.

GG roundabout is a hellish spot

I avoid it when ever possible

Conclusion BAD design all courtesy of Southwark Road Planners on a nice big earner .