Forum Sponsors

www.fdrlaw.co.uk
xxxx
www.absoluteaccessscaffolding.co.uk

Professional Carpet Cleaning at an affordable price - A & M Carpet Care

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Coffee tastes best at... Blue Mountain? Caffe Nero? The East Dulwich Cafe?
Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 37
messageRe: Station Manager Corner
Posted by PeckhamRose 24 April, 2009 18:31

Another question: I rarely use trains either but I decided to buy a ticket from Peckham Rye - in advance - so that I would not have to worry about missing my train queuing, on the day I wanted to travel.
It was a week day time but the ticket office was shut, and the machines only sold tickets on the day of travel, and not in advance.
Any chance a) ticket machines could sell tickets for advance travel b) ticket offices could be open all day?

And thanks for being here. Good on you!

Posted by SMBJones 24 April, 2009 18:58

Hi Rose

Unfortunately our ticket machines do not have the facility to purchase advance tickets, however if you go on the Southern Website, you are able to do so and nominate your station where you would like to pick them up from, you then input the reference number and your tickets will be issued from the machine, this will save you queuing up

In relation to the other point raised, I am confused as to why the ticket office was closed, I can only assume (which I dont like doing) that the staff were either on a break or the computer had crashed. Peckham Rye is open early in the morning right through untill 2000hrs. I will ensure the staff place a notice in the window explaining why the window is shut in the future

Apologies for this and it will be actioned from Monday

Regards

Barry

Posted by bob 24 April, 2009 19:08

What RosieH and PGC said
Bob S

Posted by intexasatthe moment 24 April, 2009 20:22

Another big thumbs upwell done thumbs up,really great of you to do this.
Hope you don't get abused and hope whoever your boss is appreciates what a great employee they've got.

Posted by will dex 24 April, 2009 20:23

Im surprised noones mentioned this but,
peak AM and PM trains.
Is it normal to be like a sardine one out of every 2 journeys - it is worse than the tube.

Not that i expect one but i get a seat about once every 3-4 weeks in the am. Surely this is wrong? (edited for clarity, this is the 0751, and the 0814 is worse. then pm 1838, 1848, from LBG)

BTW -good on you for all your responses, you have raised my opinion of Southern by 100 times today.thanks.

Will

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was 2009:04:24:20:26:14 by will dex.

Posted by kristymac1 24 April, 2009 20:29

I think this is one of the most useful threads for ages on the forum - how brilliant it is for you to respond so quickly and positively to the issues raised - great job, big thanks.

Posted by Ladymuck 24 April, 2009 20:46

Barry,

Welcome to ED.

You sound absolutely lovely - boy you have got your work cut out! Bet you regret coming on the forum, we are a demanding lot at ED! We need more people like you. I wish you all the best.

Posted by LegalEagle-ish 24 April, 2009 21:14

LegalEagle-ish Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I Think that both East Dulwich and Peckham Rye
> need more ticket machines.
>
> Why not put a couple on the platforms so that you
> can see when the train is coming while you wait to
> buy your ticket.
>
> It is really annoying waiting to get a ticket and
> having to leg it to the platform but missing your
> train.

You missed my question Barry.

Posted by ratty 24 April, 2009 21:15

wow, what a helpful and excellent thread!

Posted by LibraCarr 24 April, 2009 21:31

Dear Barry,

Is it possible to reinstate regular trains to East Croydon Please?.

Also I would like to add that the rat problem is not the problem of Southern (unless they do not have a valid ticket).
The problem is with Domino Pizza and the demolition of the Hospital. It caused the rat population to mobilise to an altogether better area.

Kind regards,
Libra Carr.

Posted by HonaloochieB 24 April, 2009 21:50

Might I suggest the sobriquet 'Casey' and an implied involvement with the 'Cannonball Express'?
Seriously, ask some of your older train-driving colleagues.

Seriously again, you seem like a spot on chap. Well done, you.

Posted by jrthomas_uk 24 April, 2009 22:04

will dex Wrote:

> Is it normal to be like a sardine one out of every
> 2 journeys - it is worse than the tube.

I would just like to comment that nothing is worse than being underground on the tube in the height of summer when the temperature hits 40+ degrees and you can't move!!!!!

That said, the early morning trains are very crowded and if they could run every 10 minutes (as the late afternoon rush hour trains back to East Dulwich do) that might alleviate the problem?

Barry - many thanks for joining the forum. Any plans for changes to the morning schedules?

Kind regards,
James

Posted by citizenED 24 April, 2009 23:34

Just to support what so many others have said; what a great thread. Full marks to you, Station Master.

Posted by buggie 25 April, 2009 01:03

Got a feeling Barry won't be able to help with train times/overcrowding - surely their run by a different company to the ones running the stations?

Posted by Eileen 25 April, 2009 02:15

hello Barry - this is a great initiative. Congrats on it. It will really help communications both ways.

Rail users of all our local stations (Peckham Rye, Queens Road, Nunhead, Denmark Hill as well as East Dulwich and North Dulwich) visit this web forum so it will help for all of those stations. They are all yours except for Nunhead. We will put a link to it on the SRUG (Southwark Rail Users Group) webpages to be found on - [www.peckhamvision.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was 2009:04:25:02:21:50 by Eileen.

Posted by Belle 25 April, 2009 06:57

Just to echo a couple of points - one, great to have this opportunity and actually get swift reseponses so it doesn't just feel like a cursory customer relations exercise. and 2, the ticket office has in my experience been closed at times it is supposed to be open several times. One time I went along to see my mum off and she was told by the person on duty that she'd just made it, as he closed at 1pm. It was 12.30 - he pulled the blinds down on the office just after he sold her her ticket.

Posted by Michael Palaeologus 25 April, 2009 10:36

Since the demise of British Rail, the management of the trains and the stations has been dislocated. So asking Barry for more trains, shinier trains, bigger trains, faster trains ... is pointless.

Posted by PeckhamRose 25 April, 2009 10:46

In his initial post he said he'd visit this site once a week or so.
Already he's done more than that. Good for him. He won't last, he'll be moved on to another department for being too useful at this one!

Posted by matthew123 25 April, 2009 10:48

Thanks for the efforts Barry

One other point about the East Dulwich ticket machine, is that a few times I've found the on duty ticket office manager helping another guy fixing the external ticket machine - which means it is impossible to buy a ticket. Not sure what can be done about this but no one wants to miss their train or pay 10 fine at other end when they're running to a tight schedule.

Posted by SMBJones 25 April, 2009 19:49

Hi Leagle Eagle, Apologies for missing your posting. Unfortunately I can not place more ticket machines at Peckham and East Dulwich. I did state before when Pre Pay Oyster is introduced in September I honestly believe queues will reduce at all of the stations

Not what you want to hear, although I will gage ticket sales once this goes live and look into this point raised in the future

Regards

Barry

Posted by edanna 25 April, 2009 19:59

Barry, you may not be able to do anything about this, but the ticket machine (when it's working) isn't very easy to use, especially for people who aren't used to it. I give regular tutorials to confused passengers, to avoid missing my own train!

Posted by SMBJones 25 April, 2009 20:07

Hi Matthew, Very difficult to answer, like all computers and software they are prone to crashing. If for some reason passengers are unable to buy a ticket, then a message is sent from our control centre informing our revenue protection staff to use discretion for passengers unable to purchase tickets.

Hope this helps

Barry

Posted by SMBJones 25 April, 2009 20:11

Hi Eileen, long time no hear, thought it was you! Your the only dedicated member of SRUG that will send emails at 215am

Thanks for setting up the link although be aware Nunhead and Denmark Hill do not come under my area they belong to Southeastern

We must catch up soon and thank you for kind comments

Best wishes

Barry

Posted by SMBJones 25 April, 2009 20:21

RosieH, PeckhamgateCrshr, Bob, Intexasatthe..., Kirstymac1, Ratty, Honaloochieb and Citezen D

Thank you all for your kind comments

Lady Muck, I have no regrets and relish the challenge, and lastly RosieH I will last, it is my goal to improve all aspects of passengers travel, which includes, Environment, Ticket Buying Facilities, Safety, Staff Availabilty/attitude and service performance where I have control, ie timely train dispatch

Regards

Barry

Posted by Andystar 25 April, 2009 20:21

Hi there Barry.
Can I nominate you for employee of the decade or something, its so rare to find people with this level of professionalism, if only everyone was like this..

I do have a few points abt Denmark Hiii staion, some of the handrails on the stairs have seen better days & the trains to Victoria station are always way too packed in the mornings.

Thanks v much for taking the time out of your day to sort out everyones problems

Andy

Posted by SMBJones 25 April, 2009 20:26

Edanna

Thanks for raising this, I will instruct my Ticket Office Manager and Area Team Leader to spend a few mornings over the next couple of weeks to assit passengers with tutorials at East and North Dulwich

Hope this helps

Barry

Posted by SMBJones 25 April, 2009 20:35

Andystar, thank you fo your kind comments. Unfortunately Denmark Hill is Southeastern, I will forward your comments to our Customer Service Dept as they are part of the same group (Go Ahead)

If there is no action within a couple weeks (hand rails/stairs), email me a message and I will take it up for you personally

Regards

Barry

Posted by pearl1 25 April, 2009 20:38

And also, the machine at East Dulwich does not sell a weekly travelcard for zones 2 and 3 only. I always have to queue at the office which means I sometimes miss my train to work.

Posted by SMBJones 25 April, 2009 20:53

Thanks Buggie your absolutely right I cant help with train times and overcrowding, although saying that passengers can help. For some strange reason customers like to board their services on the same part of the platform daily, this ensures they have a quick exit ie at Clapham Junction and Balham for example but this means the front and rear of services are less overcrowded, also some passengers dont like to move inside the carriages, they prefer to remain near the doors causing overcrowding. Now I know some of you reading this wont be happy but as they say every little helps and this is very hard to manage..... moving on before my popularity shrinks!Although in my defence I have proved this point at one of my other stations.

WillDex, LibraCarr, JRThomas........ I wish I had the power to introduce more services and extra carriages, this does not come within my remit. The time table changes have proved to be difficult and Southern is looking into this, there will some changes in May. I can make two suggestions, please refer to the Southern Website or alternatively Southern facilitates Meet the Manager sessions at London Victoria and London Bridge, this would be an ideal opportunity to speak with senior managers and directors of the company

Some of you will not be happy with this response and some of you will hopefully understand. Please feel free to email me personally and I will ensure your comments reach the right people who will respond accordingly

Hope this helps

Barry

Posted by SMBJones 25 April, 2009 20:57

Belle/Ronniemama

I will look into these issues Monday morning and come back to you, apologies for inconvenience

Regards

Barry

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 37

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed