The new East Dulwich

mixulee

Now that everyone on this forum agrees that East Dulwich has jumped the shark what with Foxtons confirming SE22 is officially McLordship Lane, what do you think is the new East Dulwich ? Obvious candidates are Bellenden, Sydenham, Nunhead and Forest Hill but I hear vibes from Brockley which make it an interesting dark horse.

(yes I know I'm flaming)

TillieTrotter Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I'll go with Nunhead. Its already nearly as

> pricey as SE22.

I would have to disagree, you can get a 3 bed terrace in Nunhead for under ?350k. That's strictly 2 bedroom flat money in ED!

Jump the shark means - ran out of ideas in tv drama speak. But I suppose in this context means sold out perhaps. Although I am lately thinking it's the tv version as Chandelier, this expensive gym without a pool and the white stuff all lend to people doing anything to justify taking other peoples' money. Thems my views!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jump_the_shark

Brockley is getting very good press nowadays, i've seen a few articles nationally and rgionally. great housing stock. Lots of greenspaces. next to more edgy areas - New Cross and Lewisham and has some nice shops especially nearer the Honor Oak end. there's also a lot of pride in their area.

Nunhead is going to just get better and better - prices will shift around depending on roads, just like ED in the early days. 6 months ago a lovely 3 bed terrace which had been wonderfully restored went for ?410.000. Still a bargain would have easily been 580.000 or More in ED. I think that if it reaches its potential it will probably become what most of the residents of ED wish would happen to Lordship Lane. But it's a question of economics, Nunhead lane would sustain a whole range of ecletic independant shops, but is too small for the bland multinationals. It does need/deserve a really good primary school though.

Lets hope the liberals pull their fingers out of there roundaabouts..er sorry I meant arses and kickstart the regeneration Zone with a little bit more than the few crumbs that are already in the pipeline. Actually just like the shops its a question of economics to small for the multi nationals and to few votes for......

Have you seen what some of the larger 3 bed terraces are going for these days in Nunhead? The ones I've seen are all priced in the mid to high 400's now. I agree with AllNun--TERRIBLE primary schools in Nunhead. You're basically forced to hope one of the Lewisham schools take mercy on you and let your child in. I live in the Ivydale triangle bit--lovely streets back here, but would love to see some life on the strip of shops in Cheltenham Road. Methinks we're going to be in for a wait. Brockley has 2 excellent primary schools going for it, plus really fabulous housing stock--above and beyond the three bed terrace layout. Still pretty grotty though towards the station. Wonder what impact a downturn will have on these areas.

I don't know the area that well. But the main road (Evelina Rd?) is pretty scruffy. Is there another part of Nunhead which I don't know, to add some weight to the claim that it may become "what most of the residents of ED wish would happen to Lordship Lane"?!!

Downturn will have no effect ? What an odd thing to say? and I am sure Nunhead primary school children do not think that their schools are terrible, so you should think a little about the kids maybe. Of course Dulwich village school is great but basically it's a fee paying school that the tax payers pay for.

The major problem with Brockley is that it is a long long high street, which is almost impossible to radically change in a small space of time and ....it feels very very suburban....which as we all know is ....well just boring !

Nunhead rules ...are their to be broken !

AllforNun--I'm not saying the children are terrible I'm saying the schools are. Anyway, I am not going to open that can of worms about what makes a good school a good school or whether people should support their local schools regardless of what type of education their children will receive--whether from their peers or from their teachers. I also did not say the downturn will not have an effect, I said I wonder what sort of impact a downturn will have on these areas. If there is a downturn which looks more likely by the day, surely these areas will not regenerate as quickly as if during boom times. Will we see new shops opening up on Nunhead Lane if prices start dipping--doubt it. I agree that Nunhead Lane has a lot of potential; I love FC Soper and hope more stores like theirs open up. But then Brockley will be getting the Tube!

Jeremy there is another bit to Nunhead. It's the area bound by Ivydale/Athenlay Rds, Cheltenham/Hawkslade Road, and the cemetery. This is where you will find the larger 3 bed terraces (about 1400 sq feet without the attic converted). And as scruffy as Evelina is, I saw a 3 bed there for 500,000.

I had loads of school friends who lived in Brockley, and it's always been a mixed area, and I suspect always will be. There are some amazing, really really lovely big houses there, with massive gardens. Then you walk down the road and you're in a different world. There used to be a great cab office there that sold beer, fags and home made Jamaican Patties 24 hours a day! :)-D

As for Sydenham, I'm loving it there (having had my reservations at first)... It has wicked transpart links (and East London Line coming soon), lovely houses, easy access to ED and Crystal Palace, some nice parks, and a high street with plenty of potential! I noticed recently that there is a Blue Mountain Cafe opening up there too!!! Now Blue Mountain marked the start of it all in ED, so Sydenham could well be next..... I'm moving to Penge!

"Penge. I've heard it's a lovely place but I've never been there myself." -any Robert Rankin fans out there?

Having had 2 girlfriends who lived in Sydenham I always used to poo poo the place and make them come to ED on the weekends. However I was walking around there on the weekend (with girlfriend who used to live in Sydenham but is now fianc? who lives with me in ED) and a lot of it is actually very nice. We are actually considering moving there.

Maybe...

Sydenham is rubbish for going out, that's it's only problem. There is a "middle class pub" now (The Dolphin), owned by the same people who did The Dartmouth Arms in Forest Hill, but it's bland and horrible in my opinion.

There are lots of random little shops on the High Street, and a couple of really shabby places. However, I think now is a time to try and buy in the area, because over the next 5 years, I think it'll get nicer and nicer.

NOTE: I use the term "middle class pub" as a reference to a thread on a Sydenham forum where lots of people were moaning that it was too chavy in Sydenham, and that they deserved a middle class pub... Absolute gold, you wouldn't believe it! I posted once on there, then discovered this forum and have never looked back.

I live in Sydenham at the top end, I agree the transport links are great I am equal distance to Sydenham taking me into the City or Sydenham Hill going into town. Sydenham I think has a long way to go as far as the high street is concerned but the parks are lovely I am close to Dulwich, the private girls school (Sydenham Girls School) is one of the best in the UK and the Dulwich Woodhouse (my local) is very good and That's Amore (Italian Restaurant) is very good. However I would agree Honor Oak will be the next ED.

But Honor Oak is so dull, nothing happens there, people just travel through it.

Just another quick point on Sydenham, it's such a shame to see The Greyhound on Cobs Corner all boarded up. It hasn't been the best place in the world over the last few years, but it's a lovely building, and it has a huge car park where they could have farmers markets or something like that... However, I suspect in a years time, there will be a block of flats there. :(

Keef Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> NOTE: I use the term "middle class pub" as a

> reference to a thread on a Sydenham forum

Yeah I read that guff about a ?Middle Class Pub? in Sydenham. Sounds like the kind of crap that my ex who lives in Sydenham would spout. Hence why she?s now my ex.

Not that I?m against this whole gentrification (or East Dulwichifying) malarkey it just amazes sometime how insanely stupid supposedly ?educated? people can be.

Although I take it that there are no relaxed boozers with a good community feel either considering your frequentation of a certain ED tavern.

I think Nunhead is next personally