Golden Fryer

I asked Southwark about this, to no avail, the freehold is owned by the Bank of China and it was still up and running until a few years ago, as the dead plants in the front show. I remember when they were still green. Anyway, I asked Southwark's Business Desk why this and some premises on Lordship Lane were empty and was told that the Business Desk only deals with property owned by the Authority! I raised this with my local councillor, pointing out that a Business Desk that does not actually encourage businesses to invest in the area is fairly pointless. He agreed with me but I have never heard anything more about it.

The building site at the Library end is owned by a Trust, whom I wrote to, there was a sudden flurry of acvitity inluding partial demolition but this too has ground to a halt and the empty premises next door, which they also own, have not been touched at all.

The empty shop next to the Florists at Goose Green is owned by an NHS trust, they ignored my letter. Yes I have been a busybody but if you don't ask you don't get. The shop next to William Rose is owned by an individual who was apparently living there too, but is plainly not doing so and that also applies to the abandoned premises further up the Lane on the corner of one of the junctions.

It seems to me that the Councillor whose ward includes Lordship Lane should be pursuing this, there should not be any empty premises, unless Southwark is happy for Parkhill to buy everything in site. There are also premises which have been advertised as To Let for ages with no takers, again no-one seems to know why or to be doing anything about it.

Amelie Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I asked Southwark about this, to no avail, the

> freehold is owned by the Bank of China and it was

> still up and running until a few years ago.

just have to say this fish and chip shop did close many many years ago when I was in primary school I have lived in East Dulwich all my life and know this for a fact. I have always wondered how those plants stay alive but it's diffinately not because cod and chips were being served on the premises anytime lately!

Please can someone buy this property and do something constructive with it. We live a few doors down and its painful having to walk past it every day! BarryRoad, if your friend needs local support to help his bid, contact me and I'll get a local petition going. I'm that keen to see that horrible eyesore cleaned up!

Would have thought that it would great for someone starting a local business. You'd get the chance of attracting Lordship Lane crowds at probably a fraction of the costs.

Interesting to hear about the scary shop next to William Rose. I've always wondered about it. On the day WR opened its doors I queued with the rest, chanting "we want meat", under our breath. I was alarmed and intrigued to see a bony hand extending from the low lying letterbox of the dusty, black mystery shop. I'm sure it used to have a sign - Marie something or other ....

Assuming I wasn't suffering blood-lust induced hallucinations that bony hand must have belonged to the current resident. I've never seen it again or seen anyone leave or enter the building ....

bawdy-nan Wrote:

> Interesting to hear about the scary shop next to

> William Rose. I've always wondered about it. On

> the day WR opened its doors I queued with the

> rest, chanting "we want meat", under our breath. I

> was alarmed and intrigued to see a bony hand

> extending from the low lying letterbox of the

> dusty, black mystery shop. I'm sure it used to

> have a sign - Marie something or other ....

>

> Assuming I wasn't suffering blood-lust induced

> hallucinations that bony hand must have belonged

> to the current resident. I've never seen it again

> or seen anyone leave or enter the building ....

I've seen a lady 'of advanced years' exiting through the doorway of the mysterious black shop. So, either she is the gatekeeper and guardian to a mystical far-away land, access via a portal on Lordship Lane.. or she lives in the flat upstairs.

I HAVE SEEN THIS LADY! She truly exists and is not a collective Gothic Baby Jane fantasy of certain E Dulwich types. She is straight out of central casting. I've already written about how I imagine her shuffling out of her lair down to the idiosyncratic French restaurant near the Plough for a vin rouge and a Gitane of a night. She and her place have fascinated me for a long time. Nero

BarryRoad Wrote:

> Defunkt chippie on the corner of Landcroft Road

> and Whateley Road. Who owns it? I know a potential

> buyer/manager type who's interested in the

> property. Any ideas?

There are a number of empty shops on Forest Hill Road just past the Forest Hill Tavern if your friend might be interested. There is a great little community going on here in the outer reaches of SE22.

If the Bank of China own it, maybe they repossessed it when a mortgage on it was defaulted. Perhaps they tried to sell it but no one was interested 18 years ago?

Your friend should contact the Bank of China and see if they would consider selling or leasing the property. Alternatively, is there a letterbox through which your friend could put a letter - if the family is still living upstairs then you could try to contact them.

Amelie Wrote:

> I asked Southwark about this, to no avail, the

> freehold is owned by the Bank of China and it was

> still up and running until a few years ago, as the

> dead plants in the front show. I remember when

> they were still green. Anyway, I asked

> Southwark's Business Desk why this and some

> premises on Lordship Lane were empty and was told

> that the Business Desk only deals with property

> owned by the Authority! I raised this with my

> local councillor, pointing out that a Business

> Desk that does not actually encourage businesses

> to invest in the area is fairly pointless.

Very Alice in Wonderland.

Does not Southwark have 'town centre managers' or similar, who in some places encourage business, look after shoppers' interests, and so on? If not, perhaps we should propose. Otherwise there is nobody taking a cohesive approach to business in the place, which can only be bad news.

Louisiana

I don't know if Southwark has managers like this, I suspect not. For the record, whilst I have only lived in ED since 1994 the Golden Fryer WAS open then because I used to walk up Whateley Road on my way home and was always relieved to see the GF's lights on after dark as Whateley can be decidedly creepy. I remember how surprised I was to discover it was shut as there had been no closing down/going out of business notices up. The dying plants are also certainly not 13 years dead.

Writing to the Bank of China would only be a good idea if the property has definitely been repossessed, trying the residents is a better first approach.

Amelie Wrote:

> I don't know if Southwark has managers like this,

> I suspect not. For the record, whilst I have only

> lived in ED since 1994 the Golden Fryer WAS open

> then because I used to walk up Whateley Road on my

> way home and was always relieved to see the GF's

> lights on after dark as Whateley can be decidedly

> creepy. I remember how surprised I was to

> discover it was shut as there had been no closing

> down/going out of business notices up. The dying

> plants are also certainly not 13 years dead.

>

> Writing to the Bank of China would only be a good

> idea if the property has definitely been

> repossessed, trying the residents is a better

> first approach.

The shop ceased trading around the same time that the chippie in Underhill Road opened for business.

I'VE NEVER SEEN THIS LADY!! I can see this place from my window... we've been trying to work out if someone lives there - we sometimes see a light on somewhere in there, so we figured that perhaps it's squatted. Maybe the occupants have access thru the back. Now i'm really intrigued!