We are trialing a dedicated East Dulwich COVID-19 Area on the forum here - please keep it useful.

Forum Sponsors

www.aardvarksweeps.co.uk

https://www.gokayfitness.com/3-months-body-transformation

www.fabbeautelondon.com

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Coffee tastes best at... Blue Mountain? Caffe Nero? The East Dulwich Cafe?
Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
messageRe: Brick House Bread announced they arenít reopening
Posted by worldwiser January 13, 09:28AM

150k is just the start. Then there's 60k a year in rent. Then business rates which for that property are about 23k.

Posted by JohnL January 13, 10:02AM

TSMP Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So.. if Cafe Aneto is for sale (see Rightmove) for
> 150,000 how many people woul dip into their pocket
> to buy the site and get Brickhouse to move in!?!?
> Probably not enough.
>
> Doubt itís really going for 150 though.

It isn't the down payment so much as the monthly rent there

"with next rent review in Jan 2020 with an agreed uplift to £60,000"

Posted by Rumbero January 13, 10:09AM

Anyone old enough to remember the East Dulwich deli? They did good bread I seem to recall.

Posted by Penguin68 January 13, 10:38AM

I suspect the £150k will be the cost of buying the remainder of the lease, which clearly has inbuilt rent reviews. As the lease will be a capital cost it would be possible to borrow against this, so maybe no need to find £150k in total immediately - but pay-back across the remaining years. So a business will have to clear £83k net a year, plus the cost of capital repayments, before any profit can be taken (assuming that consumables and staff salaries will be costed into unit prices and thus wash their faces on-the-fly).

Posted by fishbiscuits January 13, 10:43AM

Aneto is the obvious location, as it's a large site (especially including the space next door and the kitchens at the back).

However - someone already posted earlier to say that the Aneto site is in some way linked to all this, and has presumably therefore already been ruled out. Also, perhaps there's now a big question mark over the viability of operating a fairly large commercial bakery business from a prime-ish London high street property...

Posted by dbboy January 13, 11:56AM

Brickhouse was a sourdough bakery, that was their usp. Clearly as they are selling off their equipment they have decided that it is not viable to trade, hence having closed down both shops due to the proposed rent increases.

It was the same with East Dulwich Deli which had been around for ages but likewise, it became un-viable. Businesses come and go, that is the nature of business.

And if you really want to go back in time, how many remember Plaice Bakeries who had several branches between LL, Forest Hill and Forest Hill Road?

Posted by peckhamside January 13, 12:02PM

For those living just out of ED in Nunhead you can access delivery of excellent sourdough and other breads from Coopers Bakehouse based in Brockley. [www.coopersbakehouse.com] They also supply some local shops including Proud Sow, Broca and Costcutter in Brockley Cross. If you ask your local deli on L.L. I am sure they could start an account. All hand made using organic ingredients. P.s. I used to work for them doing delivery but dont now so this is a genuine endorsement.

Posted by Nunhead S January 13, 01:05PM

I can second that - get a delivery every sat - lovely bread but I am in Nunhead - other side of the rye

Posted by CrunchB January 14, 09:23AM

They donít currently deliver to SE22 so weíve dropped them a line to see if they might consider expanding. Might be worth others who are interested doing the same so they can get a sense of local demand.

On a separate note, weíve found the bread from Mons is often a bit on the burnt/bitter side. Plus I think itís £5 per loaf and smaller than Brick Houseís.

Posted by Azalea January 14, 01:02PM

peckhamside Wrote:
> For those living just out of ED in Nunhead you can
> access delivery of excellent sourdough and other
> breads from Coopers Bakehouse based in Brockley.
> [www.coopersbakehouse.com] They also
> supply some local shops including Proud Sow,
> Broca and Costcutter in Brockley Cross. If you
> ask your local deli on L.L. I am sure they could
> start an account. All hand made using organic
> ingredients. P.s. I used to work for them doing
> delivery but dont now so this is a genuine
> endorsement.

Is the Costcutter Brockley Road or Mantle Rd?

Posted by coopersbakehouse January 14, 04:49PM

Thanks for all the interest in our bread following the sad closure of Brick House; as an ex-resident of SE22, I fear for the vibrancy of Lordship Lane if great businesses like this are being priced out of the market.

Cooper's Bakehouse is in Brockley, 2.5 miles from Lordship Lane, and we're currently working out how to expand our home delivery service to East Dulwich. All our home deliveries are made by bike so there are some logistical challenges to overcome and more legs to recruit. I'll post here as soon as we're up and cycling in SE22 or send an email to info@coopersbakehouse.com expressing interest and we'll get back in touch directly.

If you're in Nunhead or a Brockley occasional, there's a full list of the shops we supply here: [www.coopersbakehouse.com] If you know of any shops or cafes now short of a supplier, please do point them our way. Thanks.

Francis

Posted by slarti b January 14, 06:19PM

I like the bread from Mons! From memory it is less than £5 (maybe 4.50 though I could be wrong) and they are also happy to sell a half loaf. Their crusty baguettes are fantastic.

Posted by LJC04 January 14, 10:07PM

Hi Francis, out of your bread range do you have anything similar to, my favourite bread ever (and I've eaten a lot of bread...), Brickhouseso Peckham Rye Sourdough?

Posted by coopersbakehouse January 15, 03:15PM

LJC04 Wrote:
> Hi Francis, out of your bread range do you have
> anything similar to, my favourite bread ever (and
> I've eaten a lot of bread...), Brickhouseso
> Peckham Rye Sourdough?

Our three sourdoughs (white sour; many seeded sour; pain de campagne) use a part-rye starter but we don't currently do a 100% rye; that's coming later in the year. Was Peckham Rye a 100% rye sourdough?

Posted by Beej January 15, 03:22PM

already gagging for a Peckham Rye loaf!!!! Was the only bread I actually enjoyed eating.

Posted by sheff January 15, 09:37PM

i'll donate some of their starter to keep it going if anyone wants some

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was january 15, 09:37pm by sheff.

Posted by LJC04 January 15, 10:49PM

Now that's a good question, I'm not 100% sure. It wasn't really dark in colour and actually very similar (in my humble opinion) to the 'Little bread Pedler' sourdough they sell in Browns of Brockley and Mons (I think), so maybe not...

Posted by Cora January 16, 10:20AM

Wasn't 100% Rye...

Posted by sheff January 16, 08:09PM

Recipe for it (or a version from their class) here..

[m.imgur.com]

Posted by LJC04 January 16, 10:39PM

Thank you for this Sheff!

Posted by ab29 January 18, 09:39AM

I just got the Cooper's Bakehouse bread as it was recommended here by many people(bought it in The Proud Sow in Dulwich Village). It is very good - I can honestly recommend it to everyone who - like me - was a fan of the Brick House 'Peckham Rye' loaf.

Franklins on LL used to sell bread from Brick House - might be worth for the Cooper's bakery to contact them to see if they could now take their bread instead.

Posted by spark67 January 19, 01:00PM

ab29 Wrote:
> I just got the Cooper's Bakehouse bread as it was
> recommended here by many people(bought it in The
> Proud Sow in Dulwich Village). It is very good - I
> can honestly recommend it to everyone who - like
> me - was a fan of the Brick House 'Peckham Rye'
> loaf.
>
> Franklins on LL used to sell bread from Brick

> House - might be worth for the Cooper's bakery to
> contact them to see if they could now take their
> bread instead.

Franklins announced they are now selling bread from The snapery on their instagram ... will definitely be trying some as heard its pretty good.

Posted by Seabag January 20, 08:05AM

My yard is opposite The Snapery, theyíre nice people. (they make a great chocolate brioche bun 👍🏽💥)

Itís a shame about Brickhouse, on many levels, but the product from the above people is in the same spirit of making bread that Fergus and his team created.

Well done to Franklins on supporting a SE London craft bakery (theyíre based in South Bermondsey btw)

Posted by zork January 20, 11:23AM

Such a shame about Brickhouse. Will really miss their Peckham Rye as well as the cafe.

Paul Rhodes in Greenwich make beautiful artisanal bread which they sell in their own shop as well as supplying to many high end restaurants and catering business I believe... I wonder if they could make an outlet in ED work? There's definitely an appetite for it (pun not intended...)

Will get to Franklins to try some Snapery Bread - always heard good things about it

Posted by Penguin68 January 20, 11:37AM

It seems a shame, since they are evidently such good breadmakers, that they didn't pursue an alternative business model of solely baking in a non-retail premise (potentially much cheaper to rent) and wholesaling their bread through retail outlets - clearly both Snapery and Paul Rhodes operate a wholesale model (if with a retail one), as they did. That would have given them operational space to find appropriate (cost/ location) retail outlets whist maintaining some demand.

Posted by fishbiscuits January 20, 09:59PM

Penguin68 Wrote:
> It seems a shame, since they are evidently such
> good breadmakers, that they didn't pursue an
> alternative business model of solely baking in a
> non-retail premise (potentially much cheaper to
> rent) and wholesaling their bread through retail
> outlets

That's how they started out (Tyrrell Road estate). I'm sure they considered to returning to such a model. Maybe they just didn't have the heart to start again.

Posted by dirty tree January 21, 09:24PM

Saw this on Parkhill's site -

"We believe that being a successful company in South London brings with it a responsibility to the local community, which needs all the help and support it can get."

Made me chuckle....

Posted by carlafindle January 21, 09:55PM

dirty tree Wrote:
> Saw this on Parkhill's site -
>
> "We believe that being a successful company in
> South London brings with it a responsibility to
> the local community, which needs all the help and
> support it can get."
>
> Made me chuckle....

That makes you chuckle?.

Posted by paulipedia January 23, 02:22PM

at the irony

Posted by holwil86 January 23, 04:05PM

News for the Peckham site
[www.hot-dinners.com]

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum