Brick House Bread announced they aren't reopening

Azalea

LJC04 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hi Francis, out of your bread range do you have

> anything similar to, my favourite bread ever (and

> I've eaten a lot of bread...), Brickhouseso

> Peckham Rye Sourdough?

Our three sourdoughs (white sour; many seeded sour; pain de campagne) use a part-rye starter but we don't currently do a 100% rye; that's coming later in the year. Was Peckham Rye a 100% rye sourdough?

Now that's a good question, I'm not 100% sure. It wasn't really dark in colour and actually very similar (in my humble opinion) to the 'Little bread Pedler' sourdough they sell in Browns of Brockley and Mons (I think), so maybe not...

I just got the Cooper's Bakehouse bread as it was recommended here by many people(bought it in The Proud Sow in Dulwich Village). It is very good - I can honestly recommend it to everyone who - like me - was a fan of the Brick House 'Peckham Rye' loaf.

Franklins on LL used to sell bread from Brick House - might be worth for the Cooper's bakery to contact them to see if they could now take their bread instead.

ab29 Wrote:

> I just got the Cooper's Bakehouse bread as it was

> recommended here by many people(bought it in The

> Proud Sow in Dulwich Village). It is very good - I

> can honestly recommend it to everyone who - like

> me - was a fan of the Brick House 'Peckham Rye'

> loaf.

>

> Franklins on LL used to sell bread from Brick

> House - might be worth for the Cooper's bakery to

> contact them to see if they could now take their

> bread instead.

Franklins announced they are now selling bread from The snapery on their instagram ... will definitely be trying some as heard its pretty good.

My yard is opposite The Snapery, they?re nice people. (they make a great chocolate brioche bun 👍🏽💥)

It?s a shame about Brickhouse, on many levels, but the product from the above people is in the same spirit of making bread that Fergus and his team created.

Well done to Franklins on supporting a SE London craft bakery (they?re based in South Bermondsey btw)

Such a shame about Brickhouse. Will really miss their Peckham Rye as well as the cafe.

Paul Rhodes in Greenwich make beautiful artisanal bread which they sell in their own shop as well as supplying to many high end restaurants and catering business I believe... I wonder if they could make an outlet in ED work? There's definitely an appetite for it (pun not intended...)

Will get to Franklins to try some Snapery Bread - always heard good things about it

It seems a shame, since they are evidently such good breadmakers, that they didn't pursue an alternative business model of solely baking in a non-retail premise (potentially much cheaper to rent) and wholesaling their bread through retail outlets - clearly both Snapery and Paul Rhodes operate a wholesale model (if with a retail one), as they did. That would have given them operational space to find appropriate (cost/ location) retail outlets whist maintaining some demand.

Penguin68 Wrote:

> It seems a shame, since they are evidently such

> good breadmakers, that they didn't pursue an

> alternative business model of solely baking in a

> non-retail premise (potentially much cheaper to

> rent) and wholesaling their bread through retail

> outlets

That's how they started out (Tyrrell Road estate). I'm sure they considered to returning to such a model. Maybe they just didn't have the heart to start again.

dirty tree Wrote:

> Saw this on Parkhill's site -

>

> "We believe that being a successful company in

> South London brings with it a responsibility to

> the local community, which needs all the help and

> support it can get."

>

> Made me chuckle....

That makes you chuckle?.

Much as I'll miss the Brickhouse, I never really got over the loss of the antique market that used to be on the site. That one, and the one off North Cross road were some of my favourite shops to visit on weekends, but we don't have anything like that now.

I hope that by some miracle the site is able to host lots of smaller shops again.

Lordship_local Wrote:

> Much as I'll miss the Brickhouse, I never really

> got over the loss of the antique market that used

> to be on the site. That one, and the one off North

> Cross road were some of my favourite shops to

> visit on weekends, but we don't have anything like

> that now.

>

> I hope that by some miracle the site is able to

> host lots of smaller shops again.

Lordship_local Wrote:

> Much as I'll miss the Brickhouse, I never really

> got over the loss of the antique market that used

> to be on the site. That one, and the one off North

> Cross road were some of my favourite shops to

> visit on weekends, but we don't have anything like

> that now.

>

> I hope that by some miracle the site is able to

> host lots of smaller shops again.

Yes-I miss those shops too-much more catering to my taste and budget than the bland shops opening in the area now..sometimes it feels like the area has morphed into Fulham and become awfully bland in the process!

• 2 months later...