Brick House Bread announced they aren't reopening

Azalea

Sorry to hear another local shop is closing.

My favourite bread round here is from the butchers in the village - Proud Sow. The bread comes from a bakery in Brockley (Coopers maybe) and at ?3 for a large loaf of 'overnight white' is pretty good value and is delicious.

I don't eat meat and only go in there for the bread :-)

Sue Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> coalakid Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Christopher?s now the only decent real local

> > bakery left (and best for croissants!)

>

>

> Where is that??

Half Moon Lane, next to where Walsh?s Glazing are now located.

Whoever was in charge of their twitter account seemed to be very badly affected by the political situation last year and seemed to spend at least as much time posting anti tory tweets as they did promoting their own business.

Perhaps they took their eye too far off the ball?

carlafindle Wrote:

> nivag Wrote:

> -----

> >

> https://london.eater.com/2020/1/9/21056817/brick-h

>

> >

> ouse-bread-peckham-closed-levan-new-opening-larrys

>

>

> So what?

Hahaha, what sort of reply is that. Just thought folks might like to know what it's going to be next.

nivag Wrote:

> https://london.eater.com/2020/1/9/21056817/brick-h ouse-bread-peckham-closed-levan-new-opening-larrys

Well yes... as I mentioned a week ago... a convenient opportunity for Levan. I had a strong suspicion that Levan were the landlords, and wanted in on the commuter business.

Speaking of which.. I popped into Levan this morning for my Friday morning coffee-and-pastry takeaway treat. Disappointing coffee, decent pastry, but very expensive. I really, really miss Brick House!!

Saying that, Levan is a fantastic restaurant and I'm sure that "Larry's" will be good.

JohnL Wrote:

> fishbiscuits Wrote:

> -----

> > Saying that, Levan is a fantastic restaurant

> and

> > I'm sure that "Larry's" will be good.

>

> Named after the 10 Downing St cat no doubt ;)

named after the late, great (niche) legend Larry Levan

it's all a bit confusing here - the application linked to seems to be in relation to the Peckham Rye site

So.. if Cafe Aneto is for sale (see Rightmove) for 150,000 how many people woul dip into their pocket to buy the site and get Brickhouse to move in!?!? Probably not enough.

Doubt it?s really going for 150 though.

TSMP Wrote:

> So.. if Cafe Aneto is for sale (see Rightmove) for

> 150,000 how many people woul dip into their pocket

> to buy the site and get Brickhouse to move in!?!?

> Probably not enough.

>

> Doubt it?s really going for 150 though.

It isn't the down payment so much as the monthly rent there

"with next rent review in Jan 2020 with an agreed uplift to ?60,000"

I suspect the ?150k will be the cost of buying the remainder of the lease, which clearly has inbuilt rent reviews. As the lease will be a capital cost it would be possible to borrow against this, so maybe no need to find ?150k in total immediately - but pay-back across the remaining years. So a business will have to clear ?83k net a year, plus the cost of capital repayments, before any profit can be taken (assuming that consumables and staff salaries will be costed into unit prices and thus wash their faces on-the-fly).

Aneto is the obvious location, as it's a large site (especially including the space next door and the kitchens at the back).

However - someone already posted earlier to say that the Aneto site is in some way linked to all this, and has presumably therefore already been ruled out. Also, perhaps there's now a big question mark over the viability of operating a fairly large commercial bakery business from a prime-ish London high street property...

Brickhouse was a sourdough bakery, that was their usp. Clearly as they are selling off their equipment they have decided that it is not viable to trade, hence having closed down both shops due to the proposed rent increases.

It was the same with East Dulwich Deli which had been around for ages but likewise, it became un-viable. Businesses come and go, that is the nature of business.

And if you really want to go back in time, how many remember Plaice Bakeries who had several branches between LL, Forest Hill and Forest Hill Road?

For those living just out of ED in Nunhead you can access delivery of excellent sourdough and other breads from Coopers Bakehouse based in Brockley. https://www.coopersbakehouse.com/ They also supply some local shops including Proud Sow, Broca and Costcutter in Brockley Cross. If you ask your local deli on L.L. I am sure they could start an account. All hand made using organic ingredients. P.s. I used to work for them doing delivery but dont now so this is a genuine endorsement.

They don?t currently deliver to SE22 so we?ve dropped them a line to see if they might consider expanding. Might be worth others who are interested doing the same so they can get a sense of local demand.

On a separate note, we?ve found the bread from Mons is often a bit on the burnt/bitter side. Plus I think it?s ?5 per loaf and smaller than Brick House?s.

peckhamside Wrote:

> For those living just out of ED in Nunhead you can

> access delivery of excellent sourdough and other

> breads from Coopers Bakehouse based in Brockley.

> https://www.coopersbakehouse.com/ They also

> supply some local shops including Proud Sow,

> Broca and Costcutter in Brockley Cross. If you

> ask your local deli on L.L. I am sure they could

> start an account. All hand made using organic

> ingredients. P.s. I used to work for them doing

> delivery but dont now so this is a genuine

> endorsement.

Is the Costcutter Brockley Road or Mantle Rd?

Thanks for all the interest in our bread following the sad closure of Brick House; as an ex-resident of SE22, I fear for the vibrancy of Lordship Lane if great businesses like this are being priced out of the market.

Cooper's Bakehouse is in Brockley, 2.5 miles from Lordship Lane, and we're currently working out how to expand our home delivery service to East Dulwich. All our home deliveries are made by bike so there are some logistical challenges to overcome and more legs to recruit. I'll post here as soon as we're up and cycling in SE22 or send an email to [email protected] expressing interest and we'll get back in touch directly.

If you're in Nunhead or a Brockley occasional, there's a full list of the shops we supply here: https://www.coopersbakehouse.com/wholesale If you know of any shops or cafes now short of a supplier, please do point them our way. Thanks.

Francis