Brick House Bread announced they aren't reopening

Azalea

Absolutely gutted to hear this. Such a big fan of both branches. As others have said, best coffee in ED and Peckham, best Bostocks (only Bostocks!), anzacs, morning buns, and the bread.

Such a shame for the Zenoria Street site, which has been packed to the rafters at weekends and many other times besides. Congrats to the owners for making it work this long.

Isn?t Gales coming to Lordship Lane too?

If it is then it?s a tough ask to complete with them.

I loved Brickhouse, but that has always been a sensitive site, the neighbors haven?t been easy too. Plus that incident with the mother was totally blown out of proportion, and add that to rent increases and I?m not surprised at them throwing the towel in.

But best of luck to to them, I?m sure they?ll resurrect.

Gales are OK. Certainly a big step up from a Cafe Nero, etc, but IMO their coffee and pastries are barely comparable with Brick House.

I think for me, the best options are now Boulangerie Jade in ED, and Coal Rooms or One & All in Peckham.

I do wonder if the Brick House guys would go back to their roots and become a wholesale bakery again?

Peckham Rye was the best bread around, but it went downhill as they baked it for less time in the last year. I ate there once, but I couldn?t hear any of my friends above the nursery. I think the bread was great until they took their eye off the ball. The second lease was a mistake. In the end, amazing bread that went downhill, terrible business plan. Don?t get me wrong, I would happily contribute to a community bread shop with the Brick House team being the bakers and continuing as an ?independent?, but with a business model that didn?t depend on the buggy brigade and the one coffee thanks for the free internet during the day, it was never going to make enough money.

For baked goods, I can recommend Ole and Steen. They have late opening hours, until 9 or 10 pm. The closest one is in Victoria, or Canary Wharf, depending where you are. They have a great selection of buns, muffins and cakes. They are famous for their Cinnamon Social. There?s another one in the Haymarket and one in Wigmore Street, as well as quite a few others. I?ve also tried and liked some of their rye breads, including a carrot rye, which are moist, chewy and make good toast.

heartblock Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Peckham Rye was the best bread around, but it went

> downhill as they baked it for less time in the

> last year. I ate there once, but I couldn?t hear

> any of my friends above the nursery. I think the

> bread was great until they took their eye off the

> ball. The second lease was a mistake. In the end,

> amazing bread that went downhill, terrible

> business plan. Don?t get me wrong, I would happily

> contribute to a community bread shop with the

> Brick House team being the bakers and continuing

> as an ?independent?, but with a business model

> that didn?t depend on the buggy brigade and the

> one coffee thanks for the free internet during the

> day, it was never going to make enough money.

I Would agree that too often Brickhouse had valuable table space taken up by people nursing a pot of tea for ages whilst on their computers...more than once I've gone in wanting to eat lunch and found I've had to ask the laptop users to move coats and bags off of chair for me to sit down and I've been given a dirty look for daring to need a bit of elbow room to actually eat.

They should have banned Laptop use twixt 12-3 like other cafes.

Ditto I am not anti new mums and realise its important for them to be able to get out the house and meet other mums with young babies....HOWEVER..they do have a tendency to be oblivious to the needs of other users (a bit like the laptop users!) Perhaps it would have been an idea in retrospect to have a table near the front that is reserved solely for the young mums with room for buggies that way those wanting a quiet lunch or coffee could sit nearer the back

Despite these little gripes (you can't choose your neighbours as you can't choose your fellow diners in a public space) Brickhouse will be sorely missed.

With Aneto closing too it makes me sad for the character of our local high st eateries.

So sad about this. After my daughter was born earlier this year I popped past the Brick House to buy my wife and the midwives some breakfast and the team gave me 2 fully stamped cards for free coffees, one saying ?For Mum? and the other ?For Dad?. It?s easy to be a naysayer and complain about this and that but the staff were always brilliant with my family (the dog too) and the coffee and cakes (and oh those mince pies!) were out of this world. I also enjoyed Shazaming tunes while I waited for my coffee. Best of luck to the staff and owners for their next adventures.

Guess I?d better dust off the old Nespresso machine...

i actually wonder where this hike in rates or shop rents is actually going how are people who have a business

venture supposed to start when all you see is shops open then later on close due to these increases

its such a shame

i used to live in Dulwich and was a regular on lordship lane now i just drive through here as its just too

expensive compared to other areas

actually wonder where this hike in rates or shop rents is actually going how are people who have a business

venture supposed to start when all you see is shops open then later on close due to these increases

its such a shame

i used to live in Dulwich and was a regular on lordship lane now i just drive through here as its just too

expensive compared to other areas

Do they have "offer rates" for a year to attract businesses in or are they actually continually rising (possibly due to gentrification in Peckham especially as the station is being changed).

I suppose there is an option to move to somewhere more up and coming if you're a small business - but it's not going to help you gain a local following.

This is very sad news, especially for those of us who use Peckham Rye station and liked to fill the space between just missing an overground train and the next one with an excellent coffee. The fact that Brick House were not able to the renew the contract on the Peckham Rye space is a concern. As/when/if the area around the station and the station are rebuilt, there is the worry that all the small, independent businesses, many of whom were the pioneers in improving the amenities, would be forced out. I hope this isn't what is happening here.

ab29 Wrote:

> The best bread ever - really really bad news:(

> What will happen with the place? More 'luxury'

> flats with one bedroom for half a million pounds?

I'm sorry, but it's not 'really really bad news'... most people are aware and suffer from what 'really really bad news' actually is, and whilst losing a fine local provider, albeit sometimes overflowing with the 'yummy mummy' etc, it is not really that bad, just market forces.

ab29 Wrote:

> The best bread ever - really really bad news:(

The Peckham Rye one will become a similar business I guess - maybe a coffee house or bar - it's prime position.

The ED one maybe a different case.

?

Posted by carlafindle Yesterday, 07:27PM

ab29 Wrote:

> The best bread ever - really really bad newssad smiley

I'm sorry, but it's not 'really really bad news'... most people are aware and suffer from what 'really really bad news' actually is, and whilst losing a fine local provider, albeit sometimes overflowing with the 'yummy mummy' etc, it is not really that bad, just market forces.

?

The context of this thread is a bakery closing (which some may feel [in THIS context] is really, really bad news).

You can tell someone they?re wrong, but you?re out of context (which is plain from the thread title).

I don?t think the poster was saying this unfortunate news is equal to earthquake disasters, poverty, or disease, do you, really ?

Also, market forces isn?t exorbitant lease increases.

Hence, today, your ?bang-on? score is zero (0).

KidKruger Wrote:

> ?

> Posted by carlafindle Yesterday, 07:27PM

> ab29 Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > The best bread ever - really really bad newssad

> smiley

> > What will happen with the place? More 'luxury'

> > flats with one bedroom for half a million

> pounds?

>

>

> I'm sorry, but it's not 'really really bad

> news'... most people are aware and suffer from

> what 'really really bad news' actually is, and

> whilst losing a fine local provider, albeit

> sometimes overflowing with the 'yummy mummy' etc,

> it is not really that bad, just market forces.

> ?

>

> The context of this thread is a bakery closing

> (which some may feel is really, really bad

> news).

> You can tell someone they?re wrong, but you?re out

> of context (which is plain from the thread

> title).

> I don?t think the poster was saying this

> unfortunate news is equal to earthquake disasters,

> poverty, or disease, do you, really ?

> Also, market forces isn?t exorbitant lease

> increases.

> Hence, today, your ?bang-on? score is zero (0).

Thanks for that, yawn.

From what I?ve heard in the trade it?s a combination of excessive rent increases, and a fall through of another site locally that made it unfeasible for Brickhouse to carry on.

It?s also a loss to the area, as they had a nice offer. It was one of my go to places.

Good luck to them

👍🏽

carlafindle Wrote:

> Thanks for that, yawn.

I'm afraid it was your original post which was rather yawn-inducing (and patronising). I think we all realise that this is not some sort of dire humanitarian crisis. As Kruger says, it's all about context.

And double-yawn for yet more "yummy mummy" bollocks.