We are trialing a dedicated East Dulwich COVID-19 Area on the forum here - please keep it useful.

Forum Sponsors

http://www.gardenia-gardens.com

http://avakitchens.co.uk

Glazer Delmar

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Coffee tastes best at... Blue Mountain? Caffe Nero? The East Dulwich Cafe?
Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2526272829303132333435...LastNext
Current Page: 30 of 37
messageRe: Station Manager Corner
Posted by Bartoche 17 June, 2010 08:41

Screens pleasethumbs up

Posted by Jeremy 18 June, 2010 12:56

Why were at least two trains (7:46 and the 9:21) reduced to only 3 carraiges, with no explanation?

I was late to work (again) because of the trains, and I heard someone on the later train collapsed because of over-crowding.

I know it's not your area Barry, but it would be appreciated if you could look into it because it's not really acceptable.

Posted by Timster 18 June, 2010 13:33

Jeremy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Why were at least two trains (7:46 and the 9:21)
> reduced to only 3 carraiges, with no explanation?
>
> I was late to work (again) because of the trains,
> and I heard someone on the later train collapsed
> because of over-crowding.
>
> I know it's not your area Barry, but it would be
> appreciated if you could look into it because it's
> not really acceptable.

I was on the same carriage as the person that collapsed on the train this morning and it was nothing to do with it being over-crowded. (In fact, the train was busy for that time of the morning but could hardly be described as over-crowded). Much as I'd love to, we can't blame Southern for everything!

Posted by Jeremy 18 June, 2010 14:34

OK, I take that back then!

Still... the reduced capacity of the 7:46 meant that half of the passengers were left on the platform.

On the bright side, at least the new improved frequency meant that I was only 10 mins late.

Posted by Moos 18 June, 2010 19:43

Barry, please could you investigate the clock on platform one of ED station? It's not showing the time.
many thanks!

Posted by ruffers 18 June, 2010 20:04

Screens Barry, ykims.

(I thought they were LED's...?)

Posted by Bic Basher 19 June, 2010 14:01

I know the vending machine at ED has been repaired for a couple of weeks now, but thanks Barry for getting it sorted. Makes topping up the Oyster card much easier than going to the newsagent.

Posted by ABH 19 June, 2010 18:03

Hi
I was wondering whether you could extend the hours that the ticket assiatant desk is open as two times this week i have gone to get on a train after 11.30 and there has been no one there and the ticket machines were only accepting cards, so i got on the train with the intent of buying a ticket at wimbledon, but as its a connecting train and i change at tulse hill i go fined on the train as i was told i should of brought the ticket at tulse hill. Really annoying lesson to learn as it cold have been easily avoided if the machine accepted cash or the ticket desk was open!
Thanks

Posted by OutOfFocus 20 June, 2010 21:24

> Another vote for the screens.

I would vote for a display board at the botton of the london platform to avoid climbing the slope to find the train is cancelled.

> If I know the info, I'd know whether to swipe in or not, so the need
> for a reader at the top is less of a n issue.

In the meantime, you can call the oyster helpline if you touch in but don't use the ticket. Getting a bus from East Dulwich is good evidence that you didnt make the train journey. I realise this is only a partial answer.

Posted by SMBJones 21 June, 2010 10:45

Morning, a few updates...

Tulse Hill: Ticket Office opening hours are 0600-2000hrs, I can only assume that the staff were on a break, however saying that there should have been a notice in the counter window stating that. All machines are in full working order

Peckham Rye: The software updates are now confirmed for 28th June, this is for the Ticket Vending Machine and counter computers also

East Duwlich: Information screens have been rectified and are in full working order this morning

Flowers: Contract has been signed, initially I wanted to see what they looked like so have now extended to Queens Road Peckham, extra at East Dulwich and South Bermondsey.

ED Departure Screen Platform 2: They are LCD (liquid crystal display) similar to plasma, this program is now being brought forward, I now have to wait for a survey to be carried out.

ED: The new barbed wire has now been installed

PMR: Refresh program has now started at Peckham Rye, this is quite an extensive project and will take a number of weeks.

Queens Road Peckham: Vegetation outside station and graffiti on bridge, this is now being looked at by NWR and waiting for a report back. One problem regarding this is the fact that the bridge spans the main road and may need a closure which is very difficult. I will keep you posted on this one

Regards

Barry

Posted by Izodia 21 June, 2010 10:54

Another vote for screens. They'd be most useful.

Posted by ryedalema 21 June, 2010 14:19

Hi Barry - I know Honor Oak isn't one of your stations but is there a number I can call there? My husband thinks he's left his credit card with them and it's not so easy for me just to drop by (no parking and juggling two little ones). If you could PM me a phone number so I can contact them I'd really appreciate it.

Love your work btw xxx

Oh, and screens..deffo!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was 2010:06:21:14:24:51 by ryedalema.

Posted by SMBJones 21 June, 2010 14:53

5 Mins and it will be with you

Barry

ryedalema Wrote:
> Hi Barry - I know Honor Oak isn't one of your
> stations but is there a number I can call there?
> My husband thinks he's left his credit card with
> them and it's not so easy for me just to drop by
> (no parking and juggling two little ones). If you
> could PM me a phone number so I can contact them
> I'd really appreciate it.
>
> Love your work btw xxx
>
> Oh, and screens..deffo!

Posted by Bic Basher 21 June, 2010 20:16

ryedalema, if Barry can't find you a direct number, HOP is managed by London Overground and their customer service number is 0845 601 4867 (9.00am 5.00pm Monday to Friday)

Posted by Ladygooner 22 June, 2010 09:49

Hi Barry
I see the cornish pastie and the krispy kreme shops have closed at London Bridge - are they closed so they can be knocked down to make way for extendeding the gate to and from platforms 8-16 to prevent queues building up in the morning on exit?

Posted by SMBJones 22 June, 2010 15:54

Hi

I have purposely waited before posting anything about London Bridge and the projects associated with station. I am waiting for confirmation and dates from Network Rail/Mace and will post accordingly

Here is a snippet reagrding your posting

As you exit the gates on 8/16 you will see an office block which spans the gating area, this is known as Block C (no funny comments please!) My team and I have now vacated this area in readiness for the demolition phase. There are two main reasons for this.. 1. This area needs to go to accomodate the "Shard" as this new building will over hang the concourse area and 2. The block needs to be moved to accomodate the new gates which will be installed over the coming year in seperate phases.

I have seen all the pedflow models/risk assessments and spoken with senior project managers and I am very happy with the outcomes. You will see over the next few weeks the block shored up and scaffolded, and a new gantry errected to accomodate the temporary departure screens etc. This phase will not impede passenger flows as they will still accomodate the existing exits and walkways.

I think I posted this before, the plan is to have a gate line very similar to Waterloo, ie one straight run of gates and there will be additional gates to accomodate the increase in passenger numbers

I will attach a artist impression once I am back in the office

Hope this helps

Barry

Ladygooner Wrote:
> Hi Barry
> I see the cornish pastie and the krispy kreme
> shops have closed at London Bridge - are they
> closed so they can be knocked down to make way for
> extendeding the gate to and from platforms 8-16 to
> prevent queues building up in the morning on exit?

Posted by Ladygooner 22 June, 2010 20:15

Thanks Barry I am sure it will make like easier eventually - but will miss that cornish pasty on the late train home after a few drinks!

Posted by ruffers 22 June, 2010 20:25

You can get one outside still by the ticket machines.. smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was 2010:06:23:18:47:29 by ruffers.

messageDisruption 22nd June
Posted by SMBJones 23 June, 2010 08:45

Dear all

Yesterday between 1417 and 1542 the heart of our Network was closed due to a Major Signalling Equipment failure. The failure meant that Three Bridges Signalling centre lost all visibility of our trains. This also had an impact on our depots as no services were able to leave for the evening peak. This meant all services to London having to terminate at Gatwick or short of Croydon and no services from London were able to pass through Croydon. This resulted in Major disruption for the rest of the day.

On behalf of Southern I would like to apologise for any inconvenience caused to your journeys yesterday

Barry

messageRe: Disruption 22nd June
Posted by Moos 23 June, 2010 09:00

Thanks Barry - explanation much appreciated.

BTW, the clock on platform 1 at ED is still not working - it does give the train times but not the current time. Could you please kindly have a check?

messageRe: Disruption 22nd June
Posted by skidmarks 23 June, 2010 09:08

SMBJones Wrote:
> Dear all
>
> Yesterday between 1417 and 1542 the heart of our
> Network was closed due to a Major Signalling
> Equipment failure. The failure meant that Three
> Bridges Signalling centre lost all visibility of
> our trains. This also had an impact on our depots
> as no services were able to leave for the evening
> peak. This meant all services to London having to
> terminate at Gatwick or short of Croydon and no
> services from London were able to pass through
> Croydon. This resulted in Major disruption for the
> rest of the day.
>
> On behalf of Southern I would like to apologise
> for any inconvenience caused to your journeys
> yesterday
>
> Barry

Ah so that was why.

Was the PA system broken at London Bridge last night between 5.20 and 6pm also? I didn't hear one announcement except for a couple of automated ones giving the wrong information about the next train leaving, it was deadly silent apart from all the huffs and puffs of the hundreds of people guessing what the problem was.

Posted by Jeremy 23 June, 2010 09:25

I agree with skidmarks, there was hardly and info available, and what info we did have was not reliable.

One train was displayed as "on time", only for people to squash onto it, and then be told that there was no driver available!

Surely a couple of public announcements should have been possible, explaining the severity of the situation? And possibly even a member of staff on the concourse?

Posted by Michael Palaeologus 23 June, 2010 09:44

"I think I posted this before, the plan is to have a gate line very similar to Waterloo, ie one straight run of gates and there will be additional gates to accomodate the increase in passenger numbers"

Thats great Barry - but what about Krispy Kreme Donut question?

Posted by david_carnell 23 June, 2010 11:37

Hi Barry

On Monday, I got to Peckham Rye station in the evening (about 6:30pm I should think) along with a large rush-hour crowd.

The barriers, of which there are four inc the gate, were 3-1 against the flow of traffic. So there was only the gate allowing people to exit the station. This caused a large back-log of people up the stairs. Aside from the inconvenience I would imagine there are some serious safety implications too.

I questioned a member of staff in the ticket office (since there was no one manning the gates) and was told they did not control which gates were operating in which direction. Is this true? If so I find it unbelievable that staff at a station have no control over their own station facilities. I was also told that there was no-one in the "control room" (presumably where the gates are controlled from?) to alter the flow. Again I find this unbelievable.

It would be a good idea in the mornings to have 3 of the 4 gates allowing in-bound access to the station and the ratio reversed in the afternoons for rush-hour traffic. Is this possible?

Thanks

David.

Posted by bloonoo 23 June, 2010 13:00

Hiya
I see someone posted already about trains leaving early but I can't remember if it was a separate thread or under this one, but it is still happening - yesterday the 7.46 from ED left at 7.45 (I was watching the clock as I noticed it arrived at 7.44!) normally I get to the station on time but sometimes I have to run for the train as it is a bit mean if the train leaves even a minute early!! Can't they just wait at the stop till the designated time like busses do?
Plus second the motion for the clock on platform 1 - i can't tell if the LEDs have stopped working or if they're just a bit dim but you can't see the time when you go up the hill (the clock is working on the other side though)
Thanks

Posted by Timster 24 June, 2010 12:32

Barry,

Can I have a whinge about the sometimes over-enthusiastic guards at Peckham Rye when you're getting on the train in the morning. I know you want the trains to leave on time and it's annoying when people rush on at the last minute holding up the doors but quite often (and in particular yesterday morning on the 0748 to London Bridge) they start blowing their whistle and bellowing at passengers when we're still queueing in an orderly fashion to get on the train.

I don't know if I'm supposed to start barging past anybody in front of me to get on the train before the doors close but maybe it would be better if the guards were a bit more patient when the only reason we haven't got on the train as quickly as they'd like us to is that we're being patient and courteous. It really doesn't improve your state of mind in the morning to have people shouting and blowing their whistles at you like you're a convict that has to get back in his cell.

Posted by expat 24 June, 2010 16:39

or people could get to the train with a few minutes to spare....

Posted by buggie 24 June, 2010 20:54

expat - bit confused with your statement - why would getting there few minutes earlier have any bearing on the situation Timster describes??

It seems that the issue is length of time the exchange of passengers getting off/passengers getting on takes and the guards recognising that, not with people running in at the last moment. It's all well and good blowing their whistles and bellowing, but there's a limit how quickly you can board when there are passengers needing to get off first - or are you suggesting those boarding should just barge on and s*d anyone trying to get off?

Posted by expat 24 June, 2010 21:07

I think if you get to the station a few minutes earlier you will get on the train - at least it always worked for me.

Posted by ruffers 24 June, 2010 21:12

I've heard guards blowing their whistles even before people have started to get off the train, never mind on. I guess I can rationalise it that they're trying to encourage people to be quick but like Timster says it just stresses people out, and I'd question what difference it makes.

At Forest Hill we now have people shouting through megaphones to keep behind the yellow line - I wasn't aware of a big problem there of people falling under incoming trains but it's worth paying two salaries to warn us all.. (Not your station Barry, I know!)

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2526272829303132333435...LastNext
Current Page: 30 of 37

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum