S.N.U.B Say No to Unwanted Bags

This campaign has come on so well.Nunhead now have a nunhead going greener campaign which is new but all so very exciting.Everytime i go away for work and come back,so much has happended.Can always rely on the edf for local info,brill community service

Monica, I understand your passion, but don't let it be diminished because you are getting frustrated by others' attitudes that are not the same as yours. You simply can't get everyone on board with this. Even those who do buy a bag might still take placcy bags from time to time. I still do, but do reuse it. It's just human nature, so don't let it get you down too much. Nero

Thanks nero,however i am not that naive to assume everyone else is as passionate as the majority of us already are.People learn from others and i see it everyday so i will always be optimistic and frustrated,but again thanks

Monica,

What does S.N.U.B stand for - some more info would be good.

Also, what is the petition for? Is it to ask MPs, Mayor Ken etc to press ahead with the proposed tax on bags?

I think its great that its happening - is there a poster that the local retailers are putting up to show their participation in the event and to get support from local (and not so local) punters?

Why don't we just recycle the plastic bags and make lego blocks out of it? Pardon my ignorance on such matters. I suppose someone will tell me now that the process of forming the lego blocks will release noxious gases into the atmosphere. Or maybe we could turn plastic bags into a type of breeze block for building new houses in the Thames Estuary?

Should we all be going to coffee shops with our own mugs now? There is far more plastic in a takeaway cup than there is in a plastic bag.

And should we stop using bin bags and instead opt to throw our rubbish straight in the wheelie-bin?

Should we all be going to coffee shops with our own mugs now/stop using bin bags/use hand instead of toilet paper etc etc? Perhaps but it's your decision. This is about not using/reusing plastic bags.

This thread is now one week and a few minutes old.

I have asked questions on the thread, and of shop-keepers and acquaintances, and tried to find the Southwark Council representative, but all to no avail. I can't find out anything about the S.N.U.B. Campaign, the petition, or who is organising it.

It unlikely to be spurios as Admin has promoted this thread to "lead thread", made a personal intervention, and seems to have been deleting unwanted contributions to the thread.

Please can we have a definitive statement about S.N.U.B?

Thank you.

We're glad that the the Administrator's intervention has made this an unlikely spurios [sic] campaign. For the record Admin is instructed to remove "chatty" posts on serious threads sometimes however the people who posted them are made aware of it, in this case it was two posts discussing "long time no see" about another user of the forum.

When's the write up about SNUB in the South London Press?

[edited once] apologies if it was a little strong

What?s going on here?

Is this forum closed to questioners?

Debate takes many forms ? sometimes it takes a provocative remark to winkle out real views. A comment that runs against a featureless morass of received opinion should not be dismissed as ?inflammatory?.

I posted ?Hooray for plastic bags? last Monday. I see it has disappeared into The Lounge renamed ?Plastic bags and environmental advice?.

If this forum has an agenda that promotes particular viewpoints and suppresses others, could we see it? It might save a lot of time.

Piers - I've written to him about this

Yesterdays slp had article about snub campaign to reduce unwanted plastic bag rubbish, an excellent job members of the forum whom should all be congratulated on their efforts for the ed community. Very positive support from local press.

Macroban SNUB is about saying no to unwanted bags Most of the retailers are trying to encourage recycling by not offering bags,or asking do you need a bag.The south london press very kindly wrote an article and they do have a lot of local support.The campaign are at the moment applying for money through the cleaner greener scheme to finance cloth bags for East Dulwich residents,watch this space.The snub campaigners are also organising events,in the next few months.they will keep the forum posted about the events,