England v Germany

Mick Mac

It so happened I watched the game with a bunch of England-supporting Kiwis in a pub near Guildford. I asked one of them if they would also be supporting our cricket team against the Aussies. "Don't push your luck." was the reply.

As for the game, I didn't think England were that bad - and definitely not 4-1 bad. That we creaked so much at the back was strange considering that we'd only let in one flukey goal before today. In the second half, at 2-1 we had that long spell, when Lampard hit the bar, where Germany were just not in it. It was, for the second time in the game, a question of the next goal really counting - and it went to them. Game over. But England had plenty of shots and an awful bit of luck, and in the end we didn't measure up. I'd much rather this loss in an exciting game than a pinched one-nil victory in an awful game.

The third goal from Germany was the killer and that was all down to Barry. When the ball came to him on the edge of the area instead of hitting it first time he tried to take and extra touch and was dispossesed resulting in the counter attack that led to the goal. He should have hit it first time. At the very least it may have gone wide for a goal kick but at least the rest of the team could have reset themselves. Capello cannot be held responsib;le for such poor play and technique. Jundging by the sh1te performances in this world cup I actually wonder whether the players are trying to get him the tin tack ?

I think Ferdinand was a huge miss for England. Their defence was absolutley deplorable today. Johnson Terry and Upson got the absolute run around.

But they did have most of the possession, so the rest of the team must have done better than most of the pundits have said.

John Terry was up the other end of the field for the last two goals. With no speed in defence they needed to defend deeper. You can get caught on the break once, but 4 times is a bit thick.

Terry and Barry were absolutely awful. And Terry should apologise to Upson for making him look the C*nt. Where do you begin on the crapness? Cappello...he should walk right now. Rooney? World class? mmm. Lampard, Gerrard? World class my foooking ar*e

???? Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Terry and Barry were absolutely awful. And Terry

> should apologise to Upson for making him look the

> C*nt. Where do you begin on the crapness?

> Cappello...he should walk right now. Rooney?

> World class? mmm. Lampard, Gerrard? World class my

> foooking ar*e

Spot on!

Hindsight is all very well, and yes the back four were dreadful much of the time. But there is simply no way of knowing how the game would have proceeded from the 2-2 it should have been before half-time. Today was the 1st time at 2 world cups I felt sorry for Lampard - so close to being the hero on 2 occasions.

Germany were not as good a side as this game suggests and I reckon Argentina will see them off: they have Tevez and Messi and we had..erm..

Possibly the only time I may disagree with both simonm and citizened at the same time. Thinking that the lampard goal standing would make a material difference is wrong. And England were easily 4.1 bad. As they have been the whole tournament. You may as well say France were hard done by in going out so early

Goal aside, is anyone saying the wrong team went through today?

I won't be upset if capello goes by the way but I wouldn't ascribe too much blame. English managers come and go... Foreign managers come and go.. All with various methods but the same nucleus of a team survives each one and underachieves. So the blame is with them.

Totally outclassed, and the Germany captain is right in saying that the England players thought they were better because they're more famous.

I notice only Joe Cole has come out and said they've let the fans down. Fair play to him for that.

I wish Lampard's goal had stood, then there would be no excuse for them, and the scoreline still would have been at least 4-2.

Thing is, in the past I would have been pleading with them to come back and win it, right to the end. But yesterday I laughed whe Germany got their 4th.

Rooney's only contribution was to slag off the only world class thing England have, their supporters.

Comments from Lamppard, Gerrard, Terry and Upson that the disallowed goal somehow chetaed them and the game was 'even' apart from that show how delusional they are.

Cole did have the deceny to admit they weren't good enough.

At the end of the game ONLY Terry even acknowledged England's amazing support.

Cappello is holding on for the maximum pay off, in stark contrast to his fellow countryman Lippy....It's grubby, greedy and distatseful

They should all be ashamed. But as Green said this morning, they'll all get home, unpack and then pack their summer stuff for an obscene jolly in Barbados ect.

W*nkers.

That was a diabolical defensive performance from England - time and again they were torn apart with simple flicks.

You can almost excuse the first two goals as players being nervous and caught up in the emotion but the final two goals are a real black mark against this regime. Glen Johnson should have flattened the forward with a challenge (and taken a yellow card for the team) rather than attempting a girly toe poke and as for Gareth Barry on the fourth goal he should never play for England again.