JP Wetherspoons (The Vale)

sgb

Chill out - on the whole I prefer the clientele in indie pubs to chain pubs. That's not a f*cking insult on the poor FFS. On the whole I'd just about rather drink in a Wetherspoon than an All Bar one.... you keep fighting your imaginery battles though.

Sillysue,

I actually find the remarks in both your posts quite offensive, especially as I wrote in an earlier one, that I do like to visit Wetherspoons.

I also have an SE15 postcode, so it is good to know what 'kind' of a person you think I am, even though we have never met.

People with attitudes like yours make me sick. Maybe you should go drinking with Jah Lush & ???? as I think you will have loads in common.

???? Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I love pub chains...they keep all the W*nkers out

> of the decent ones

Nope, just checking I didn't imagine that Quids thinks only W*nkers go to chain pubs......no imaginary battle there Quids.....but I'm guessing if Weatherspoons ever have a happy hour on Stella you'll be in there alright >:D<

?5.50 (up from a ?5)for 6 at Bossman for me DJ.

But on the rare occasions I get to go out to a pub now a days I'm not going to waste it in a Slug & Lettuce, All Bar One, Pitcher & Piano OR Wetherspoon, dreamt up and centrally delivered by design/marketing departments in Northampton. WTF that's got to do with being rude the poor is beyond me.

The Freehold is owned by The Wellington Pubco. The current tenants have a worthless free of tie lease. To be honest, the current operators are entirely out of their depth. Perhaps they should consider another career. Unless Wellington are selling the lease, which I doubt, I can?t see JDW being interested at all. More rumour for the rumourmongers I?m afraid.

peterstorm1985 Wrote:

> "delivered by design/marketing departments in

> Northampton"

>

> I find that offensive. Just because something

> comes from Northampton shouldn't be a cause of

> mockery.

I took it to read along the lines that the pub concept was being designed entirely somewhere else ie. nothing to do with the locality of East Dulwich, rather than a specific dig at Northampton.

Where did this Wetherspoon 'news' come from? Id this rumour or fact?

Would JDW be buying the lease from the incumbent leaseholder or buying the freehold from the landlord above them? Either way there are a considerable financial penalties likely to any incoming purchaser with an eye on the site like JDW.

Wellington Pub Company wouldn't want or need to sell the freehold unless there is a massive premium in it for them - i.e. a sale well over book value and then Wetherspoon would have to buy out the incumbent lessee and, at a wild guess, I'd imagine they'd find themselves in a situation where, because it's JDW a humdinger of a price would be demanded and stubbornly stuck to. They'd be paying through the nose twice and that doesn't make commercial sense.

Whatever. If it's more than rumour that pub going to JDW or Pizza Express would be doing the site a disservice and not be what's best for it. Chains are not best for ED and JDW is boring and dull and not needed in such a location. A Pizza Express in ED would go down well I'm sure but frankly an independent with far better pizza would be MUCH better for the area in general.

Chains are not best for ED and JDW is boring and dull and not needed in such a location.

I'd say a cheaper alternative to the pricey pubs in ED is very much needed. We can argue all day about the pros and cons of chains, but I think that a Weatherspoons in ED will probably do as well as the Fox on the Hill....so that tells anyone there is a need for a better value alternative.

peterstorm1985 Wrote:

> Northampton"

>

> mockery.

Pubs.. outdoor leisurewear..?

*Bob* Wrote:

Pubs.. outdoor leisurewear..?

Sorry *Bob*

It's hooded outdoor leisurewear

Anyway take at trip to Kirkdale in Sydenham & visit J.D Wetherspoons "The Windmill"

Oh, then you'll really want one in Grove Vale

It's a cross between a kindergarten, a branch of social services & a waiting room for the bookies/launderette

W**F

peterstorm1985 Wrote:

> Northampton"

>

> mockery.

Interesting assertion. Whyever not?

>

>

> Anyway take at trip to Kirkdale in Sydenham &

> visit J.D Wetherspoons "The Windmill"

>

> Oh, then you'll really want one in Grove Vale

>

> It's a cross between a kindergarten, a branch of

> social services & a waiting room for the

> bookies/launderette

>

>

>

>

> W**F

That cracks me up! I'd love to disagree with W**F, but it's so true. But doesn't it just go to show how (as someone mentioned earlier) pubs are often a reflection of the local folk? Would a JDW in ED maybe be different? Probably not actually...

Councillor Maureen Holding said: "We don't want our young people having loads of cheap booze and having an opportunity to get inebriated all over the place."

"We couldn't care less what the name of the pub is," Jonathan Hutchinson, a retired RAF officer, said. "What we are opposing is a drinking supermarket. It's not a town that lends itself to that sort of thing."

Even some younger residents are against it. Louise Carrington, 22, said it would bring a "mob atmosphere" to the "charismatic old town," adding: "It would attract the wrong kind of people."

"Puritanism as I used to when I was alive, is the haunting fear that someone somehere may be happy" remarked the late satirist H.L. Mencken."

I am quite surprised that people think that independent places are ripping them off with their prices. Ok there are a few examples where I think you are right. However, independent places have not got the buying power that Wetherspoons has with them dictating to suppliers how much they will pay them for the product, which may not be enough and explain why some of the smaller breweries are struggling and being swallowed up by the beer giants such interbew. I think you?ll find that at the independents you are paying the true cost of beer allowing the producers to invest, pay their staff and suppliers a decent wage. I guess it is a bit like the Co-op faritrade scheme.

The likes of Weatherspoons and Tescos mask the true cost of products, it may be great in the short term that you can get a pint of fosters for ?1.99 but in the long term it may mean there is a reduction in choice and competition and in the future it may be the case that all you can get is a pint of fosters in a Wetherspoon for ?1.99.

My mum has run a freehouse pub now for 22 years. She shops around and get the best deals she can but cannot get the deals on the big brand beers (Fosters, Stella, Guinness) all which is made by the brewing giants, she thinks they hold the prices artificially high, she sells them at pretty much at 0% profit otherwise the price would have her regulars moaning and makes the profit on real ales. One of the ales she sells she could sell at ?2.40 and still makes a decent return, however, she raises it to offset the loss on the big brand beers. Oh, she buys all her bottled bitters in Morrison?s as even the wholesalers can?t match them as they sell at a loss.

aquarius moon Wrote:

> I also have an SE15 postcode, so it is good to

> know what 'kind' of a person you think I am, even

> though we have never met.

> People with attitudes like yours make me sick.

> Maybe you should go drinking with Jah Lush & ????

> as I think you will have loads in common.

Presumptuous, hypocritical and hopefully ironic but probably not.

It is a country pub in rural Norfolk. You should see the amount offers they get weekly from big chains to buy it. It won?t be long until its one of those hideous Brewers Fayre mock country pub type places. The regulars moan like hell about the prices but I?m sure they?ll moan when they get an Aunt Bessie?s Yorkshire pudding served up with their Brake Brother?s Sunday lunch, with not a chance of a tab to the end of the month and not a hope in hell of a late drink ever.