Got robbed tonight on Whatley Rd

MrBen

Mr. Ben, I would like to echo what both Indiepanda and legalbeagle have said. I.e., please don't blame yourself. If it hadn't been you, it would have been some other poor soul. It is not your fault.

Also, just remember that you are well liked, if this forum is anything to go by. Unlikely that those that did this to you have any friends, which makes them worse off than you (if you see what I mean).

Hope the New Year is better for you. x

Thanks people - weirdly felt odd about walking down a dark street tonight but I guess thats to be expected. Two of them as well. F%%%^$^ cowards. Still, stiff upper lip eh what?

LegalBeagle - you're right I could have been in hospital. Instead on my first outing you'll be pleased I managed to stiffly navigate three whole blocks to Green and Blue and you sold me a nice bottle of Claret. A good remedy.

Films not to watch tonight.....Taxi Driver, Once upon a time in the West.....

All sounds scary MrBen and at the end of the day the most important thing is that you are safe. We all need to know that these dangers are out there so that we can be better prepared but as you say, just to get away safely is the main thing, material goods are easily replaced.

MrBen Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Thanks people - weirdly felt odd about walking

> down a dark street tonight but I guess thats to be

> expected. Two of them as well. F%%%^$^ cowards.

> Still, stiff upper lip eh what?

>

> LegalBeagle - you're right I could have been in

> hospital. Instead on my first outing you'll be

> pleased I managed to stiffly navigate three whole

> blocks to Green and Blue and you sold me a nice

> bottle of Claret. A good remedy.

>

> Films not to watch tonight.....Taxi Driver, Once

> upon a time in the West.....

MrBen, you cannot be replaced. Your wallet can. And now it has been I'm glad it made its way to Green & Blue! Take care. You'll get gradually better and braver.

x

I had an ex-bf attack me out of the blue about 8 years ago when I was at a vulnerable stage of my life and the feeling of being a victim was very hard to cope with. My answer was to get back into the gym and on the weights, plus I went back to taekwondo and boxing training. After a couple of months I found the physical changes I underwent really helped me to get over the horrible feeling of being a victim.

I turned pretty macho for a bit, but I think that was the reaction I needed to get over what happened. Maybe you could sign up for white collar boxing to help build your confidence back up.

It doesn't matter how tough you are, only a small minority of people would be capable of fighting off two scabby nutters. Even if you're a big bloke who does martial arts or boxing, it's going to be difficult.

Glad to hear you're up and about, it sounds like you're not letting it get you down too much. Also, thanks for posting about your experience, it's a good reminder that we should always be alert, and keep an eye out for any loitering scrotes.

Hi Mr Ben,

I've never met you before but you sure have a supportive following. These nuts would have been tooled up so rather than escalating the mugging you did the right thing. Your excellent descriptions will be circulated locally, the CID team will be looking for this type of MO. Hope you patch up well and feel better soon.

TLT (not to be mistaken for TLC :-))

I would also suggest people don?t get too hung up on the particular road ? attacks like this can happen on any side-ish street and these 2 scrotes (and others like them) probably mooch around looking for right time and opportunity

MrBen is made from girders and will bounce back but as anyone who has been through it knows it can take the wind out of your sails right enough.

It's not only women who blame themselves over an attack of any sort, please don't feel like you have to keep up the 'stiff upper lip' nonsense, speak about it and how you feel either to friends or the nice people on here...take your time being comfortable with coming/going around where it happened.

I once walked a woman to her work bus stop every morning after she was mugged, it took around 2 months for her to feel ok with it and this was daylight.

So sorry this happened to you MrBen. My advice would be to take Victim Support up on an offer of counselling (assuming they have) because even though time/friend/family should help, you may sometimes find yourself filled with unbelievable rage that these guys robbed you violently of your personal effects. This happened to me 6 years ago in Honor Oak Park and I still crap myself walking home in the dark.

Siousx & Polly do reflect true emotions - us guys & toads do bottle things up!

I had 6-guys on me 25-years ago which resulted in stab wounds and my best white top resulting in red, it took me 15-years to wear another white top. Like I say, there will be CID eye's outside looking for dudes and the same or similar MO. These guys have a zero base value, and you can be assured that they will be inside in the next year for this or a similar crime.

PAMF (Punk Arse MF)

TLT

My Karate Sensei is 5th Dan, and he has taken people on (He's ex Isaeli army) but he still says your

first thought should be to create a distraction (look across the road and shout

'Officer' for instance), then run.

Once you take them you have to assume your life is in danger as they will have weapons.

Would be funny to put a hold on and say 'no, you give me your wallet' as we do in training -

but unfortunately, not practical

Peckhamgatecrasher Wrote:

> Jeremy is so right, Mr Ben. Don't feel

> embarrassed or guilty.

>

> I have a mate who is third dan black belt

> something or other and he maintains that a street

> fighter would probably win every time, and you

> were attacked by two.

>

> Hope you still enjoy Christmas.

Off topic (black belt,my self)

Belts dosent matter,but if you practise for competitions and do sparring with full contact that will give you enought to survive 2 randoms in street with out weapons if needet (running as fast as you can is best choise ofc).Years of sparring/competition gives you eye to read your oponent moves and with full contact training you get used to pain from opponents kicks/hits.

On topic

Sorry to hear this kind of thinks happening and you didnt do nothing wrong there.I just hope those guys pick "wrong" person next time they gonna jump on some one.

Seir Wrote:

> Off topic (black belt,my self)

> Belts dosent matter,but if you practise for

> competitions and do sparring with full contact

> that will give you enought to survive 2 randoms in

> street with out weapons if needet (running as fast

> as you can is best choise ofc).Years of

> sparring/competition gives you eye to read your

> oponent moves and with full contact training you

> get used to pain from opponents kicks/hits.

> On topic

>

> Sorry to hear this kind of thinks happening and

> you didnt do nothing wrong there.I just hope those

> guys pick "wrong" person next time they gonna jump

> on some one.

Sorry to laugh but,

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not nice and I feel for MrBen,

Its the fear that this kind of attack manifests that bothers me. Some people would loose all of their confidence after such an attack.

Hope you're OK MrBen.