Col Gaddafi

MrBen

What's the point of being a dictator if you can't fart volubly? Wouldn't we all? I certainly intend to when I'm next in charge of a country. However there are associated dangers with the practice. Perhaps the female bodyguards have concealed nappies and wet wipes... and tent freshener

JohnL Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I'm So Ronery

> So ronery

> So ronery and sadry arone

>

> There's no one

> Just me onry

> Sitting on my rittle throne

> I work rearry hard and make up great prans

> But nobody ristens, no one understands

> Seems like no one takes me serirousry

Is this a send up of a chinese person, a la Benny Hill?

On 1 September 1969, a small group of junior military officers led by Gaddafi staged a bloodless coup d'?tat against King Idris while he was in Turkey for medical treatment. His nephew, the Crown Prince Sayyid Hasan ar-Rida al-Mahdi as-Sanussi, had been formally deposed by the revolutionary army officers and put under house arrest; they abolished the monarchy and proclaimed the new Libyan Arab Republic. The 27-year-old Gaddafi, with a taste for safari suits and sunglasses, then sought to become the new "Che Guevara of the age". To accomplish this Gaddafi turned Libya into a haven for anti-Western radicals, where any group, supposedly, could receive weapons and financial assistance, provided they claimed to be fighting imperialism. The Italian population in Libya almost disappeared after Gaddafi ordered the expulsion of Italians in 1970.

A Revolutionary Command Council was formed to rule the country, with Gaddafi as chairman. He added the title of prime minister in 1970, but gave up this title in 1972. Unlike some other military revolutionaries, Gaddafi did not promote himself to the rank of general upon seizing power, but rather accepted a ceremonial promotion from captain to colonel and has remained at this rank since then. While at odds with Western military ranking for a colonel to rule a country and serve as Commander-in-Chief of its military, in Gaddafi's own words Libya's society is "ruled by the people", so he needs no more grandiose title or supreme military rank.[1

• 5 months later...

So the end is nigh. The endless loops on Sky News are like watching a car crash in slow mo. "Supporters" revealing their true colours, the denial that all dictators seem to take to the bitter end. A needlessly defiant last stand from a deluded home guard.

Is there any way out alive for Muammar? I can't see a physical route to exile in Angola or elsewhere, so its surely death or The Hague. He's clearly bonkers so based on past form what's most likely?