Not your common garden variety spiders (Lounged)

Catcher-in-the-rye

My phobia of spiders is back with a vengeance (I suspect I haven't helped myself reading this post).

To explain, I have those electronic plug-ins to deter insects/rodents etc from the vicinity but my confidence in them has just plummeted.... A HUGE spider has decided to pay me a visit (maybe to escape the deluge outside??)... sorry to any insect/animal lovers but as the options of killing it (too big/scary)/letting it go free (not a chance)/putting it outside (so it can come back in again?!) are all out, my temporary solution is to cover it with a casserole dish (a pint glass wasn't big enough!) and call him Boris (apparently Boris the big black spider was something I watched as a child), whilst I figure out what next - any ideas welcome please???

Thank you one and all.... Boris is now roaming free (thanks to the cardboard technique!) and so far hasn't payed me a return visit. I must confess I couldn't work up the nerve to move him myself (I hold my hand up, I am a total wuss).

Asset, if it helps with your spider argument at all, I looked up a few Tegenaria types and as you might expect (as even looking at pictures now scares the pants off me), I couldn't tell which was Boris. I did note one comment that might placate your discussion: "Unfortunately Tegenaria is one of the tricky genera of spiders; meaning that even with microscopic examination of the adult genitalia they can be tricky to tell apart, so you certainly won't get them to species from a photo I'm afraid (unless it's a photo of the adult genitalia!)".

• 2 weeks later...

I have a spider that's huge living in my shed, I gave him the name Tyson, it suits him. Tyson is great he deals with any rodents that might consider moving in.

I would never deliberately harm a spider.

Haven't read the whole forum but have you considered capturing one and taking to thw Wildlife centre Marsden Road?

Jay

Well I can testify that these hairy little blighters have made their way indoors. The other night I was sitting on my sofa when I felt a little "tickle" on my leg ..... paid no attention ..... then said "tickle" was further up my leg! I went to investigate and in doing so must have angered the arachnid as it bit me three times on my posterior!!!

It really hurt! I stupidly thought that british spiders couldn't really bite ... put that notion to rest!

Believe me this was not the sort of insect (especially given its size) that you want to find in your jocks!

I am sure this has raised a smerk (or 20) but trust me it was NOT funny!

• 11 months later...
They are all over the place. Since my first post last year we've seen a big increase in them. Usually if you find one tube shaped web there will be another very near, I think they like company. We've had ours so long now they've become part of the family. You see them out and about near their webs but they are very shy and run when they see someone approach. They don't come indoors (which is why I'm so relaxed about it all, otherwise I'd be screaming my head off).

Someone?s nicked my headphones again so I can?t listen to that clip. Are these spiders poisonous? I?ve not seen these tube shaped webs before in the garden but we used to get a spider back home that spun tube shaped webs and could leave a nasty abscess if they bit you. They were white though with black fangs but looked a similar shape and size.