E.D. Warehouse

eddie

Dropped in this afternoon and was impressed with the potential of the place.

Some lovely furniture and cheese on sale

Will be a great spot when it's full

Just what we need given the recent foxton's (and white stuff) openings

Christopher Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> That's a good price for decent wild oysters... is

> the stall licensed? Be nice if they had champagne

> / guiness / Txakoli..?

I asked that question - stallholder hopes to be licensed in due course and agreed Guinness was a the perfect accompaniment to oysters. Cheese shop - stallholder very enthusiastic, but limited stock of 3 welsh and one stilton doesn't begin to compete with the Cheese Block, but full marks for the quality.

Thought the book shops was a bit limited - overruns for sale but nothing very exciting.

WArehouse has potential tho' - to be supported and watched.

Little bit disappointed that there weren't more concessions (after all the hype) as I was hoping to do all my Christmas shopping in one hit. Also disappointed not to see the Zenorian's demonstrating outside and mass traffic jams clogging up LL. The stalls that were there looked great, especially the Oyster and Cheese stalls (What No Sushi!!)and I think once it's fully operational it will compliment LL and Northcross Market quite nicely. Nice one Eddy and all the traders.

PS Is there a fire exit? Couldn't see one.

mockney piers Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Ha ha, spotted I guess.

;-) - CitizenED dobbed you in it... Goodness you'll be buying Nikon next!

Must say was hoping for a bit more in there, but hopefully will improve over time. Is it only open weekends?

It's definitely got potential. With regards to the cheese stall, I think that keeping a narrow, good-quality range might be its strength - I think a lot of people get intimidated when faced with a whole counter of weird and wonderful cheeses, such as at the EDD or Cheese Block. (I ought to declare an interest here, though - I've known the Mootown lot for years.) And a massive advantage for the warehouse as a whole is that there's room to manoeuvre pushchairs - as amply demonstrated by the number of wheelie-bairns in there on Saturday.

I popped in. It looked unfinished. The few stalls in operation were a bit dull. The floor finish and colour, and the ceiling are very low quality, as are the strange partitions between stalls. This could be a lot better. It looks like a community art project rather than a viable business. I can't see it lasting, which is a real shame.

Charlie

The unfinished feel was the finitely my over-riding impression. Hopefully that will be sorted in the coming weeks, and with the run-up to Christmas imminent I can see it doing well

If the overheads are low then I think it will survive just fine. There were more people than I expected in there on my visit which was a good sign (I wondered how many people other than us forumites were that aware of it's opening?)

I'm not a fan of muzak either but I wonder if some background ambience wouldn't help?

I liked it. My missus bought some fantastic stilton and we chatted with all the stall holders who were all lovely and friendly. We bought some books for our baby and altogether were v impressed. Shame it is not 50 times bigger cos I think ED would benefit from a Greenwich style market!

Well done all involved!

The unfinished feel is of course due to it not being finished; the last minute planning worries last week caused a bit of a hold-up, and it was thought it was better to stick to the opening date rather than let it drift another week. But the smell of fresh paint and wood glue will fade; replaced by stilton, oysters, and second hand vinyl i hear.

You're right about the sounds too Sean, so i put up my old technics cabs with some freecycled rotel hardware today, and enjoyed some elgar and mozart [ED Warehouse will soon have the most aurally cultured chippies around]; chet baker, hoagy carmichael, and charles trenet coming once i get deeper into the boxes.

Pretty quiet today - is monday closing an ED thing? - but I kept to my target of talking to everyone who came in, and selling books to most of them.

Once the remaining stalls are up and running the j is gonna be jumping [especially if mootown keep up their free port marketing technique]

Sorry I missed the footy on saturday - I was just *SO* tired!

Ultraconsultancy

• 2 weeks later...

> We live near the butcher's/ new gym so it's a similar problem

> with parking etc. However the benefit of a great butcher on my

> doorstep far outweigh the negatives of my street being a car

> park on a saturday.

I agree with Captain Birdseye. I live near the Herne Tavern and sometimes can't park and have, on occasion, been disturbed by drunk chavs bellowing "knees up Mother Brown" or lying in the road, but the benefits outweight the inconveniences. It's all a grey area. I think the Warehouse's benefits to the entire community probably outweigh the inconvenience to the residents. We aren't living in the Dorset countryside and have to expect things about London that hack us off. I can't see that a warehouse of independent retailers is any worse than a derelict warehouse on a residential street. I know what I would prefer.

I too popped in yesterday and found things more affordable than the SNUB tent, Came back with some books and spices. Did not have enough money on me to buy cheese but thought the warehouse had potential. Once all the stall spaces are let should prove an alternative venue to NX Rd.

On behalf on Mr MW74, does anyone know when the music dept will be moving into the warehouse. Every weekend he has totted off down the road in anticipation, only to come home rather dejected that nothing seems to be in yet. This in turn means he is under my feet and I have to send him away to the pub for a few hours!

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

A few people were very keen to start a music unit in the Warehouse, however they all appear to have dropped away. I would love to have a good music section there, so if anyone knows someone that wants to start a music unit, please ask them to get in contact with Eddie at the Warehouse.

Thanks to everyone that has supported us. We are working as fast as we can to get the whole place up to speed. Also, do let me know if there is a particular type of product that you would like to see there or any ideas that would improve the whole operation.

Eddie