Accident on herne hill (17 March 2011)

denny

Such a tragedy . This must be every parent's nightmare when they see their kids off to school each morning.

Driving today down Barry Road, a 12 bus was collecting passengers and could not be overtaken as another bus was coming in the opposite direction. From the pavement woman with a primary age child ran in front of my car and was about to dash across the road when some instinct made her look to her left and saw the other bus drawing level - had she not looked at that point both she and the child would have been seriously injuried. If she had been hit - the bus driver would not have been at fault.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-12781806

"A Metropolitan Police spokesman appealed for information from anyone who may have seen the incident, or the movements of the bus or girl." (BBC report)

Seems not even the police know what happened exactly as yet. Doesn't seem right to state so unequivocally that the child ran in front of the bus unless one actually witnessed the tragic incident.

So sad, it was being said when I walked past that it was a young girl but I didn't want to repeat that last night if incorrect and also as I didnt think the parents would of been informed by then. I couldn't stop thinking about it since, every parents worst nightmare.

This was posted on the Herne Hill forum

At 6.45 p.m. last night (Thursday 17th) there was a fatal accident involving a young girl, aged 12 on Herne Hill near the junction with Gubyon Avenue. She was hit by a double decker bus, operating route 68. She died at the scene of the incident.

Police are appealing for any witnesses who may have seen the incident or the movement of the girl or bus.

Please contact the Metropolitan Police at Brixton on 0300 123 1212 or the Herne Hill Safer Neighbourhood Team on 0208 721 2824.

Our thoughts are with the family and friends of the girl.

sillywoman Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Lots of sad, sad children at the Charter today.

> Daughter says there's lots of tears for this

> little girl.

my son says the same, my thoughts go out the family of this child at what must be an awful time for them.. R.I.P little angel..

My son who is also 12 had an accident very close by on the same road - his accident was in January and he has a broken leg, we are spending a lot of time in Kings as it was a nasty accident. I cannot imagine what this little girls family is going through and send heartfelt condolences. My sons accident was his own fault as he crossed a busy road and the cab driver that hit him was in shock and will live with this fear for a very long time. However, cars do come up that hill so fast - is it time for more speed cameras or speed bumps? No words to describe this feeling.

• 11 months later...