Bonfire Night

We usually go to Brockwell Park for Bonfire Night.

this year the display is on Friday 2nd November 7.30pm

A few of you may prefer the Clapham Common one which is at the same time.

But that's Lambeth - we should really be going to Southwark. Can't find out when or where that is.

Anyone know?

Brockwell Park does a great display for around 45 minutes and hour. Just enough so you don't get firework fatigue or Catherine Wheel cataracts. Lambeth are nromally up on festivals etc... sometimes infamously so, Southwark generally aren't so good. Way back when I used to go to Southwark Park for their display but it's a little way away from Dulwich.

Alan Dale Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> this year the display is on Friday 2nd November

> 7.30pm

Why on the friday? Why can't all the displays be done on the same night, ie The 5th! or at least the nearest saturday? I hate the random use leading up to the 5th and the reports of injuries etc afterwards. I'd prefer a ban on the sale to the public and it being left to organized displays only. I'm going away on the 3rd to deepest, darkest Wales to avoid the main bulk of the festivities, maybe I'll go a day earlier now :-S

I agree, I think fireworks should not be on sale. I know it spoils the family display in the back garden (realistically, how good is that?). But when I lived in Elephant, for the whole of October and November practically I had to put up with twats letting off bangers and rockets in the street at all hours.

Much better to go to a municipal display. Brockwell park is always really good. The only Dulwich local one in my experience is at the sports ground off Burbage and they charge a fortune for a fairly damp squib.

Should you feel like travelling further afield the towns of Sussex make quite a thing of Bonfire night, Lewes has the biggest with a number of Bonfires, torchlight procession, great firework display and various celebs burnt in effigy.

There is a health warning though. I dates back to a group of Protestant martyrs who were burnt to death in the 17th Century-ish, so it does have a whiff of (pantomime) anti-catholicism about it.

This is my first firework season in ED. Over the border in the badlands of Camberwell it was like Baghdad on a Saturday night for weeks before and after. I did see some kids turn a wheelie-bin into a kind of mortar - rubbish blasted everywhere and very dangerous BUT very funny and really rather inventive.

I say no to banning fireworks! Society is too "safe" as it is. Besides giving kids an opportunity to handle explosives prepares them well for their future cannon-fodder careers in the Army.

The Dutch love a good firework. They have long chinese crackers that roll out to about 1 meter length. You light one end and they go off like a machine gun spewing sparks and red crepe paper all over the place. Stand close and you can feel the concussion in your chest and go deaf. Now thats fun.

I agree - this time last year definitely was hearing fireworks by the local yoof.

I usually go to Blackheath and if it's not raining it's a fun long walk home.

But also sometimes go to the top of Dalston Heights on Overhill Road where there's a big expanse of grass/trees/shrubbery/green stuff and watch the fireworks from all over London from up there. Seen New Year in from up there too. Dalston Heights has one of the best views in and of the whole of London. It's better than Primrose Hill because it looks geographically more right! You often see film crews up there too getting shots of London. Anyway, yes, it's been quiet so far this year.

after living in SE London for some time, you become immune to the sounds of bangers and various Nov/ 5th pyrotechnics - you are able to filtrr them out - I really the notice the sounds of AK47s as they pop another cap in a deserving suckers ass for disrespekt outside the Chik-king ( a royal delight ) franchise.

Real hard core SE Londers know the different tonal qualities of various calibre small arms fire and can recognise it without thinking

Last time I went to a nice, safe organised display (Brockwell) there as a group of yoof at the rear of the display letting little rockets off horizontally at the backs of people's heads - until they got chased off.

I have fond childhood memories of charming family bonfire night parties (a box of 'Standard' in a Crawfords biscuit tin, non-spinning Catherine Wheels nailed to the fence post etc) - though obviously I have conveniently forgotten sneaking out later the same night to chuck spare fireworks over the fence of elderly neighbours like a proper little b*astard.