London street gangs, innit

Mark

Photo of the leader of the infamous 'Northcross Bloods' shown below to help with identification should you encounter him.

(for legal reasons unable to show his face)

http://www.testriffic.com/resultfiles/9215preppy.jpg

Brendan Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Why do these chaps in gangs always walk with a

> limp? Is it some initiation kneecapping ritual or

> are childhood polio sufferers more likely to tend

> towards gang membership?

Respect to Ian Dury, the OG.

Apparently so as to appear the victim of a punishment style shooting, which improves their cred no end. However, they will change legs if observed for any length of time.

The low slung - half mast - show everyone your pants mode of jean wearing is an affectation towards U.S. inmates in the 'Big House' having their belts taken away by the guards.

What really hacks me off is the wearing of Rosary Beads as a fashion accessory (6)(6)

Brendan Wrote:

> Why do these chaps in gangs always walk with a

> limp? Is it some initiation kneecapping ritual or

> are childhood polio sufferers more likely to tend

> towards gang membership?

Rickets. Your Gang Members dont really do the "5 a day" thing. Unless its a "Blood" Orange.

The whole 'respek' thing is such a joke though. I mean you have to wonder what pathtically fragile sort of self-esteem or ego these characters have if they can have it bludgeoned by someone just looking at them. Imagine living a life where the rules were that if someone looked at you the "wrong way", they were "dith-rethspeking me, blood" and you had to then shoot them and spend the rest of your life in prison where one of your victim's "homies" would probably "shiv" you with a "shank" or whatever.

Very, very sad!

The funny walk thing comes from trying to give the appearance of having a hand gun in your pants, as said weapon affects ones gait. So, its an attempt to make out that the miscreant in question is "so hard they would have a piece next to their dick".

Ask anyone with experience of dealing with street gangs in the USA for confirmation.

Domitianus Wrote:

> The whole 'respek' thing is such a joke though

It's not though, for some young, and in my experience mainly young black males it's deadly serious. Tragically and fatally so on occasion. In parts of town, it's difficult not to become gang involved, sink or swim

I> mean you have to wonder what pathtically fragile

> sort of self-esteem or ego these characters have

> if they can have it bludgeoned by someone just

> looking at them.

You do don't you? They're not the sort of people who are achieving much. Who aspire to anything and who have any say or stake in society, or even in the community they inhabit beyond their own subculture.

Imagine living a life where the

> rules were that if someone looked at you the

> "wrong way", they were "dith-rethspeking me,

> blood" and you had to then shoot them and spend

> the rest of your life in prison where one of your

> victim's "homies" would probably "shiv" you with a

> "shank" or whatever.

No I can't imagine it. But I don't pretend to understand exactly why some young males end up in the situation described. I am tired of the platitudes mouthed by radio broadcasters, churches, community 'leaders' The Mayor, politicians both big and small and even the youth themselves. I think the factors that create these young people involve deprivation, lack of a father figure, the predominance of drug dealing in poorer neighbourhoods and the need of said drug dealers to create a 'postcode' gang culture in order to take care of business. If you feel you have nothing to lose then perhaps going to gaol doesn't make any difference. If you've lost the ability to feel/empathise then nothing can touch you.

In a gang? In prison? Same mindset. Tragic.

> Very, very sad!

Looking at the list of names, I was wondering if inability to spell is a pre-requisite for joining a gang?

Can you imagine the initiation:

Gang leader: "Rite, you gotta spell 'boyz, shoota, and wot' for us or you ain't joyning the Dulitch Boyz Croo"...

Would-be gang member: "B O Y S" .... "S H O O T E R" .... "W H A T"

Gang leader"Sorry cuz..."

Gimme Wrote:

> Looking at the list of names, I was wondering if

> inability to spell is a pre-requisite for joining

> a gang?

> Can you imagine the initiation:

> Gang leader: "Rite, you gotta spell 'boyz, shoota,

> and wot' for us or you ain't joyning the Dulitch

> Boyz Croo"...

> Would-be gang member: "B O Y S" .... "S H O O T E

> R" .... "W H A T"

> Gang leader"Sorry cuz..."

I reckon the people involved can actually spell correctly, they simply choose not to.

And if Mike Yarwood's still alive, he'd proably pay money for the above.

But only Yarwood, Ken Dodd would consider it limp beyond belief.

And so would the DiddyMen. To a man.

In France it's the ultimate disrespect to your elders to say words backwards - they can't understand what the 'youth' are saying - known as 'verlan'

I'm sure they're debating this right now on some French forum.

Actually I bet they aren't.