Another chugging on Lordship Lane

This kind of race-related stumbling over a person's identity so often leads to smug, liberaller-than-thou attacks on this forum and it could all be avoided if only we'd paid more attention to The Bill before it was euthanised.

In future chuggers, muggers, rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, - (sorry, slipped into Blazing Saddles mode) - could all be described by their IC number.......

The IC codes are:

IC1 ? White European

IC2 ? Dark European

IC3 ? Afro-Caribbean

IC4 ? Asian (in the British sense - ie Indian or Pakistani)

IC5 ? Oriental

IC6 ? Arab/North African

IC0 ? Unknown ethnicity

Some forces use IC7 as unknown ethnicity.

"IC" itself stands for "Identity Code

Seems a little officious. Could I plump for the Dulux colour chart instead?

Chugger A: Mellow Jasmine 2 (vinyl silk). Cowrie shell necklace (possibly Australian)

Chugger B: Cornflower Sunset. Trilby hat. Port wine stain in the shape of Jim Bowen.

Chugger C: Velvet Truffle. Bullet belt, Sportacus waistcoat and unsightly mouth cheese.

BEWARE

Maybe I've had a sense of humour bypass but I've never understood why it's considered socially acceptable to make (or infer) derogatory comments about those with ginger hair. To me it's no different to skin colour in that you are what you are.

StraferJack Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I'm not saying anything until djkq describes what

> it's like having worn a tabard and been a chugger.

> Always gotta hear the other side.

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!! That's the funniest thing you've ever said! >:D<

I've been reasonably lucky in avoiding chuggers. Did have fun with one who was working for an organisation that I have quite a lot of dealings with. I had to explain to him what exactly they did... I should've made him pay me.

HonaloochieB Wrote:

> I wouldn't be seen talking to anyone in a tabard,

> a well cut kagoul though is a different matter.

I think they heard you HB - today's chuggers are resplendent in blue KAGOULS complete with hood and 'Plan' logo on the back. Tabards are soooo yesterday.

DulwichFox Wrote:

> I have Never heard the Term 'Chugging' before...

> But understand what you are all on about.

>

> 'Chuggers' ?? Just ignore them. Simple.

>

> I give money to Genuine Collectors like Red

> Cross, RNLI Life Boats, RNIB.

>

> I myself have been a Collector for The RNLI. Some

> Years back.

> Licenced Spot.

>

> Rules:- Do not approach people. Do not Rattle the

> Box.

>

> Never give money at the door.

>

> NONE of the genuine Charities Collect at the

> Door.

None of the genuine charities collect at the door??????? Depends what you mean by this. All the chugging firms are employed by 'genuine charities', so although the specific door-knocker may not be directly paid by the charities themselves they are authentically there on the charity's behalf. This relates to both the door-knockers and the chuggers who acost you in the street. I used to work for a chugging company for a while so I know a little about the structure, process, arrangements and law. For example, all charity collections must be licenced by the appropriate local authority. Outside of London this is done by the Licencing Department of the relevant local council. Within London the various Borough councils have given broad authority to all charity colections that are regulated by the Institute of Fundraising. The IOF attempt to co-ordinate the various chugging firms so there technically should not be more than one in any particular area at any point in time. This is designed to avoid a sense of over-saturation but clearly it does not seem to avoid that impression in the minds of the public who understandably do not particularly differentiate being chugged by one company or charity and another.

One useful approach is to ask them why they have not made their Solicitation Statement. By law they have to commence any approach by informing you that they work for a company that is being paid by the relevant charity to fundraise for them - this is called the Solicitation STatement. Not to do so is a breach of the law yet a huge number of chuggers ignore this or have never been trained to know about the Solicitation statement. Canny ones may say something like "I was just about to tell you that" but at least you will put them on the back foot.

One of them was really quite attractive - wearing a low-cut tabard and fingering the bulldog clip on her clipboard in a most provocative manner.

Before I could ask for their Solicitation Statement, my spectacles had steamed-up and I had to make my excuses and use an Iceland carrier to hide my excitement.

• 4 years later...
Just out of interest (or not) 'chugging' used to refer to those people who pretended to ask you Market Research Style questions which then segued into requests for charitable donations - it was a neologism based on the older form of 'sugging' (selling under the guise of research) - the same but (often) with attempts to sell types of insurance or investment on the back of it. Simple approaches by charities for donations (without an MR pretense) are just that, charity collections. When I was involved with the MR industry - mainly as a buyer - sugging and chugging were seen as bringing a respectable information collection trade into disrepute, as people would avoid legitimate Market Researchers fearing they were suggers or chuggers. I would tend to call those who ring on the door asking for donations to charities - charity collectors. If you want to check, a legitimate MR person will have some form of identity linked to the Market Research Society (MRS) as well as to the agency currently employing them (many, perhaps most, are freelance).