Brendan Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> What about Watership Down? When I was a kid it was

> one of those films that the folks would put on for

> the kids to watch to keep them occupied when they

> were bbqing or having diner parties or whatever

> suburban parents did in the 80s. I don?t think

> they ever watched it themselves they just thought

> it was a happy happy cartoon about bunnies.

>

> In reality it emotionally traumatised a whole

> generation of kids.

I feared those rabbits. it was the eyes, those eyes...

Gail - Go back and watch ET again. Like all Spielbergs, the script is awful with moments of brilliance, like Elliot kissing the girl while ET watches John Wayne on TV. And cycling past the moon. But like you, I cry at that last line - "Be Good".

It has to be about last lines doesn't it; Saving Private Ryan's narrative body [ie the part after they get off the beach] is just terrible, until that last line where Ryan asks his daughter if he's had a good life - boo hoo!

My favourite all time ending is Fargo - We're doing ok aren't we? Yeah, I think we're doing ok. - Terrific.

Ultraconsultancy

Thanks everyone for spoiling the plots of so many films

anyway how about Kes? when his brother does what he does.

I can't believe that nobody has mentioned 'It's a wonderful life' I was once with my then girlfriend watching it at the Ritzy in Brixton and the film broke down in the last 5 minutes, I think everyone there had seen it before and all refused to leave for around half an hour whilst they tried to fix it, in the end we had trudge out and get a refund.

Higher Learning not a very well known film, but I really recommend it!

Also Stigmata, because there is a scene when the main character just realises what a hopeless situation she's in.

Going back to the original post, I LOVE Cool Runnings! I see pride, I see power, I see a bad ass mother who don't take no crap off of nobody!"

"Once again!" ;-)

Seriously, give Higher Learning a try.

>>Famously, Tony Kaye took his name off the credits because the studio made him change the last shot. if you have seen the last shot as he made it you'd know why.<<

Umm...it was not just the change of the final scene of American History X that prompted Kaye to try to remove his name.

The big problem he had was Edward Norton's involvement in the whole re-edit, which, surprise surprise resulted in lots more Norton screen time.

Kaye tried unsuccessfully to pull an Alan Smithee, the DGA wouldn't let him cause he slagged off the film prior to release, a big taboo in the US, so he then tried to use his own pseudonym Humpty Dumpty. He even took a Rabbi and a Tibetan Monk into negotiations with the producers.

Kaye is a proper nutter but at the same time probably the best commercial director there?s been, in commercials you can be nuts in fact it's positively encouraged, and you get massively indulged, he regularly shot more footage for a commercial than would normally be shot for a 2 hour feature.

But in Hollywood you've got to tow the line and behave.

There are many, many Tony Kaye stories, after X he filmed some acting workshops in L.A that involved him, Marlon Brando, Michael Jackson and De Caprio but Kaye turned up dressed as Osama Bin Laden and pissed everyone off, this was a month after 9/11.

Cool Runnings was apparently on loop in the England Rugby team's DVD player during the latter stages of the Rugby World Cup. I have a vision of one of them standing up and crying "I feel Olympian today" - John Candy would also have been perfect to play Phil Vickery...

Worst one for me is "The Champ" - though I maybe saw it at an impressionable age.

Schindler's List sometimes gets cited in this kind of list, but for me it went wrong with the cynical attempts to tug at heartstrings - (a) the little girl in the red coat; and (b) with the colour bit at the end. The book was powerful stuff.