Is it me but most of the people that work in the shops in East Dulwich are not friendly. (Lounged)

The Rafester

Favourites:

LL - SMBS, Cheese Block (sometimes), the card shop by Somerfield, the dry cleaners next to the post office, Dulwich DIY, John Alan florist, AJ Farmers

NCR - the fudge lady, the CD man, the picture framer, the man at Emma's

Not favourite:

The guy who owns (?) that gift shop next to Dulwich DIY

The Ralon man

(And who remembers Keith the barber on NCR?)

Never had a bad experience in D-DIY myself - and I've been in and out of there a fair old bit.

However, I have seen a couple of testy encounters in there though. Both of them were down to (firstly) a customer getting uppity and assuming that the staff were somehow trying to palm them off with the wrong product on purpose - followed by the staff getting irritated.

People in DIY shops don't know everything in the small print about the zillion products they carry in their shops. That's where the 'Y' bit comes in.

Dont mean to be antagonostic - but someone touched on this earlier- the attitude of some of the ED customers is utterly appalling from what I have witnessed - the "talking down" to people who work in shops is teeth grating sometimes - You can feel the tension between shop owner/ assistant & customer.Attitudes towards people who work in shops does seem to have a changed amongst certian sections of the populace.

Some places however do have an attitude when you arrive , whatever your outlook as a prospective customer - I dont have to list them - we all know who they are

Ralon is a bit tense, but thats always been the case

oddly enough, the victims who seem to want to queue up at these handful of places are fawning over the owners, so maybe its not surprising they get treated in such a derisory manner.If you feel the urge to pay inflated prices and experience arrogant service, then maybe you are asking for it

Snorky's helpful hints for the new breed of East Dulwich shopper?

I'll help with the first three:

#1. Take the plum out of your mouth before talking to a shop assistant.

#2. Do not interrupt a shop assistant who is serving another customer.

#3. Do not be surprised when you reach the till and you are asked to pay for your goods.

I have seen much uppityness on the part of some ED shop customers. I believe they think they're asserting their rights as a paying customer and therefore bringing standards of customer service up or something, but there are ways of means of doing this, still getting the same result, but not acting like an arse.

> I'm definitely with the "Dulwich DIY guys are

> friendly brigade" and am surprised so many have

> had bad service - we are definitely talking about

> the one near Green and Blue right? Not the one up

> by the Plough

Let's not overplay this, have "so many people had bad service", or is it just two people - Andyng and Frisco - and even then their description sounds more like Plough DIY not Dulwich DIY. I agree with the earlier poster that negative comments about individuals who can be identified should be strongly discouraged on this forum, especially since posters have the benefit of anonymity. And criticisms can be unfair. Remember the slagging off that Le Moulin once got from somebody, only for them to realise that they'd mixed it up with Le Chardon.

as i said before we could all moan on forever and dont get me started on rude and unfriendly bank tellers in peckham !!!!!arrrrgghhhhhhhhhh

most people are friendly in shops in east dulwich imo, my personal gripe is when they ignore you and are on the phone when you actually want to ask something else but they just take your money and turn back to the call

the guys in budgens deserve a medal for the rudeness ive witnessed from customers in there, as well asdealing with constant shoplifting which does blight east dulwich trust me . i barely hear a please or a thank you i always send them chocs and a christmas card

SimonM Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> >>And who remembers Keith the barber on NCR?)

> I do! (& his sign spelt it "Kieth")

>

> SimonM

'Kieth' was unbelievable. Such a grumpy old git! A friend of mine was having a haircut from him and he started out really moody and grumpy for some obscure reason tat I can't remember and this continued through most of the cut. At the very end, when he was showing my mate his newly cropped barnet in the mirror (and clearly thought he could angle for a tip) he turned on this ridiculously artificial smile and sycophantic attitude to replace the "I hate the world" manner he had been exhibiting a few minutes before. A miraculous, almost supernatural transformation, I understand! Needless to say, he did not get a tip.

luddite Wrote:

> as i said before we could all moan on forever and

> dont get me started on rude and unfriendly bank

> tellers in peckham !!!!!arrrrgghhhhhhhhhh

>

> most people are friendly in shops in east dulwich

APART FROM FAT BLOKE AT PLOUGH DIY

> imo, my personal gripe is when they ignore you and

> are on the phone when you actually want to ask

> something else but they just take your money and

> turn back to the call

>

> the guys in budgens deserve a medal for the

> rudeness ive witnessed from customers in there, as

> well asdealing with constant shoplifting which

> does blight east dulwich trust me . i barely hear

> a please or a thank you i always send them chocs

> and a christmas card

Agree about the amount of rudeness the staff at Budgens put up with.

Try harder everyone !

I think the people at Dulwich D I Y are lovely and have always been incredibly helpful and friendly.(And they give out sweets at Christmas).

I love their shop almost as much as A J Farmers.

clare Wrote:

> Agree about the amount of rudeness the staff at

> Budgens put up with.

This was the shop who when I asked how much potatoes were told me were

a ?1 each

>

> Try harder everyone !

>

> I think the people at Dulwich D I Y are lovely and

> have always been incredibly helpful and

> friendly.(And they give out sweets at Christmas).

> I love their shop almost as much as A J Farmers.

Didn't realise they sold spuds, or any food. Are you sure?

I totally agree about the attitude of the customers as well as the shop staff. Sometimes they might be having a bad day for whatever reason, it happens to all of us. Sometimes I am absolutely sickened by the way people talk (down) to the staff in shops.

I always remember when I was working in Sainsbury's for a few months before I went off to uni in 1996. One day a woman most likely in her 30s asked me where the "Virtually fat free" milk was. I explained that it was where it had always been, but it had been relablled "Skimmed", and that it still had the blue lid. She called me a liar, started poking me in the chest with her finger, wanted to talk to my manager, and said it was no wonder I was working in Sainsbury's.

I never got an appology when she was proven to be the f**king stupid c**t either! Bitch, don't know why she was bothering with skimmed anyway, she was fugly, and no amount of weight loss was going to change that!

... do I sound bitter? :-S

When I was a student did a spell of work in a local video shop. The one evening this guy came in and had a go at me because I would only let him get 1 video out at a time (he had been blacklisted for always returning things late). He started doing the whole ?Who do you think you are? You?re just a video store clerk? thing to me. So I punched him.

It may have been quite and effective customer service technique as he left quite quickly and 20 minutes later I saw his car pull up with 3 more guys in it. Potential new customers perhaps? I didn?t find out though as I had closed the shop and was in the back room pretending not to be there.

There used to be a really lovely friendly woman at Budgens/7-11. She sounded like she was from the eastern Caribbean (T&T or Barbados maybe) and was there on Saturdays. She was fantastic and always made my day better. I haven't seen her for a while (but then I don't go in there much now).

she has moved to a budgen nearer home, she was lovely she used to sing and call every one babes !:} the shocking thing is most of these lovely people come bleeding miles to be insulted by drunks ,junkies and us .so lets try . what about be nice to shopworkers in ed for a week ? and see what we can achieve NO they dont really sell food as such {keef you're right }though they do sell balhsen biscuits yum .................

Tuesday 20 Nov

The butcher in W Rose was very patient when I asked him to explain the difference between rump steak and stewing steak (I live with too many veggies).

Had a nice chat with the Moxons man about tuna.

Waved at Chris in Pretty Traditonal

Bought some cards in Greetings . (Fellow Leeds fan- discussed the Hereford match )

Felt like I should be wearing a crinoline !! I love having Tuesdays off work so I can do my Duchess of East Dulwich act when everyone else is at work....