Is it me but most of the people that work in the shops in East Dulwich are not friendly. (Lounged)

The Rafester

Selma Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Although I find the quality of meat service top

> class in William Rose, I do find that when you ask

> to be told how much something weigh in kilo they

> give you a look that could kill.

My mum has very poor eye sight, and has been quite upset in there a couple of times when she's asked for help, they've been a bit nasty.

For that reason, they can fcuk off as far as I'm concerned. Whether or not they realised she couldn't see, it costs you nothing to be nice to people! Especially when you're doing very very good business.

For the record I think my mum still goes in there sometimes.

>>I do find that when you ask to be told how much something weigh in kilo they give you a look that could kill.<<

I have some symptahy for them...they're butchers not mathematicians...and you should really be able to do the conversions in your head anwway :))

Keef Wrote:

> Selma Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Although I find the quality of meat service top

> > class in William Rose, I do find that when you

> ask

> > to be told how much something weigh in kilo

> they

> > give you a look that could kill.

>

> My mum has very poor eye sight, and has been quite

> upset in there a couple of times when she's asked

> for help, they've been a bit nasty.

>

> For that reason, they can fcuk off as far as I'm

> concerned. Whether or not they realised she

> couldn't see, it costs you nothing to be nice to

> people! Especially when you're doing very very

> good business.

>

> For the record I think my mum still goes in there

> sometimes.

Absolutely disgusting! They should hang their heads in shame. Bad enough people have to queue up and pay over the odds for this shop's wares, without being treated in such a fashion. Doh, customers equate wages.

Despite one of the posts in this thread, I'd like to say that the service in DULWICH DIY is absolutely fantastic. I alsways find them friendly, well-informed and helpful and am constantly amazed as to how they get such a huge stock into such as small space. I don't know the people who run the shop and have never really stopped for a chat but all I can say is that with any shop there will always be bad days when something goes wrong.

In general, I find all the small shops in ED very pleasant to visit and feel that we are very lucky to live in one of the last places in London where so many good small businesses are able to survive -- despite escalating rents. I think it's a shame if one person has one bad experience and then uses this forum to take revenge and I hope that people don't let themselves get put off before trying out shops for themselves.

Frisco Wrote:

> "Dulwich DIY"

>

> I've never felt comfortable in this shop;

> especially since the woman who I assume to be the

> owner was rude to me when telling me that they

> didn't stock something I was looking for. Give me

> Terry's DIY for service any day.

I've never received anything but courtesy and helpfulness from Dulwich DIY, for 15 years+. They are one of my favourites on Lordship Lane, along with Cheers and A.J.Farmer.

I don?t think it is unreasonable for me to ask for the weight in Kilo, just as I think a old lady who don?t know the metric system is entitled to know the weight in pound. My argument is not what is the correct way of measuring thing, merely that a shop that sells things by the weight should be able to accommodate both. It is after all what they do for a living.

I always ask for metrics in William Rose and have never had anything less than the usual friendly service and banter

And they don't make anyone queue up, fish. People choose to queue up because of the service and product. I don't know of any similarly sized premises with that many staff. I have ben in the queue as far back as The Irish Shop and still been served within 10 mins

If I remember correctly before the days of supermarkets you almost always had to queue at the butchers on a Saturday.

Anyway they do serve very quickly and friendly in there and they are generally the same price or cheaper than Sainsbury?s and have better quality produce.

I dont know why you dont just ask for home delivery with William Rose...we do! No queuing!!

I find people in Dulwich generally all polite, not had a problem with anyone so far, as for THAT chemist, well they have known my family and I for years so we get on with them but they do have a HUGE turnover of staff and I have walked in and seen customers shouting at them and walking out in a huff, but I only ever catch the end bits so I never know what provokes it!

Most people are great.

theres a shop, selling expensive foods/ olives/meats etc that shall nver have its name revealed here, where the owner really deserves to be boiled in a vat of his own urine

There is a household good shop where the saturday staff all seem to have been recuited using the Viz stereotyope "lazy stupid dinterested 16 year shop assistant" template

but a apart from that, its pretty good

Took my carless friend to Sainsbury's DKH today where she proceeded to bore the pants off me and do a megashop. She's posh and rich and had obscure requests so ended up asking about 8 different staff for various things including stuff that wasn't on the shelf. Every assistant was completely obliging or knew who to ask, and things were brought out from the store room. Top marks to them for customer care.

Moo Too are always great and friendly - they even update me sometimes on who the local shop-watch scheme with walkie talkies etc is watching as some scally lurks around outside trying to thieve up and down the street. Great card selection too....

In my experience and that of Mrs Rhode, almost every shop or service in ED is staffed with very friendly people...

There are exceptions but they aren't even that bad

One of the best was the guy who used to run Cheers a few months back, always happy and friendly (even when I came in all moody after a bad day at work) and he would chat and help you no end

Then there's the staff in the Bishop... they are amazing, they must have some kind of rigorous recruitment procedure and ongoining training because ALL of them are examples of the best bar staff I have ever experienced anywhere in the world

And the guy with the ponytail in Barry Road Stores is also very friendly

Can't really think of any unfriendly staff apart from the man and woman who run the cornershop on Whatley Road/Underhill Road - you have to ask for a bag and then they hand you one with the express suggestion of "what do you think, I'M going to fill it for you"

I LOVE East Dulwich !!! :)

I am so glad that this thread is just demonstrating how brilliant the local shopkeepers and their staff are and how much they appreciate them. Since I've worked in a service environment myself (not in ED), it's never ceased to amaze me how rude CUSTOMERS can be, blaming staff if they've had to queue and basically taking out whatever frustrations they have with their family/work/life on people they just see as convenient emotional punch-bags.

By the way, where and what is "Cheers" -- I've lived in the area on and off for ten years and I have no idea what people are talking about!

not2late

Agree here most unheplful people around especially fat bloke behind counter

Frisco Wrote:

> "Dulwich DIY"

>

> I've never felt comfortable in this shop;

> especially since the woman who I assume to be the

> owner was rude to me when telling me that they

> didn't stock something I was looking for. Give me

> Terry's DIY for service any day.

I think you may have got Dulwich DIY confused with somewhere else, there isn't a fat bloke in there (unless he's started in the last week or so since I've been in there). Maybe there's a fat bloke in the DIY shop by the Plough?

> By the way, where and what is "Cheers" -- I've

> lived in the area on and off for ten years and I

> have no idea what people are talking about!

Cheers is an anonymous looking general grocery store/off licence in the range of shops that has the new Mrs Robinson Boutique. It opens late and always has friendly service, even with the departure of one of the guys a few months back.

Dulwich DIY is the small store run by an Indian family opposite F*xtons, and like Mark I've never experienced any "fat bloke" nor any bad service. They're the sort of shop where you can buy one screw and they don't resent it.