East Dulwich Garden Centre - possibly replaced with flats

TJS

MadWorld74 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> hands off the god damn Ed garden centre. I like, I

> use it and want it to remain.

I agree - also not everyone has transport and therefore NEED places that are within walking distance.

But a library is a really good community resource for everyone - particularly with the large number of primary schools in the area. The fact there is a community element as part of this commercial enterprise does appeal to me - I think such uses of space are very important when there is such a huge pressure on resources.

It's a very very small library across the road - I have been in there once and my overall impression is that it was really cramped. If, (and I haven't seen the plans) they are offering a really decent library for the community - then I don't think we should dismiss this scheme out of hand.

Dare I say that out of the two I think more people would benefit from a decent library than a garden centre - and I say that as someone with a garden who has used the Garden Centre myself. In short - library = facility for all the community; and particularly a resource for people who may be on a lower income and may benefit those who aren't privleged enough to have a garden. Garden centre ... a commercial business benefitting a few.

Not forgetting that there is already a much bigger library in East Dulwich the other end of Lordship Lane. Re the West Dulwich Garden Centre, never been there but I believe at least one former ED garden centre person works there these days.

Nero Wrote:

> I asked the man at the garden centre a few weeks

> ago whether he was selling up, and he said no.

Gosh, I wonder what made him change his mind so quickly?

Or was he just lying?

Sod that KalamityKel - we're now discussing (I think) the commercial space that will be left behind by the old library - in which case I would love to see a sushi restaurant.

Oooh, Tuna Sashimi, Agedashi Tofu, a warm bowl of miso soup, a hand roll made with eel...... ooooh, I think I need to lie down (see give me sushi and I have no need for a sex shop!)

Looks like a win win situation for the garden centre. A multi-million pound development and pressumably a long term lease agreement with Southwark for the library. Finding suitable tenants next to ED station is not as easy as Lordship Lane so a very clever move. Given that this was originally sold as a benefit to the community I would be interested to hear details of the lease agreement for the library. Is it a peppercorn rent of say ?1 a year (in which case can be seen as a community benefit), or will it be a commercial rent (in which case no direct benefit to the community)? I've also queried with James Barber whether the full funding of the library for all the new services planned has also been approved at this stage.

Louisa I shall assume there was some tongue in cheek there....

Being forced to travel to Homebase? You poor dear.

I get all my flowers and bulbs and plants from the lovely man who has a shop along the parade from Lomax vets at the top of Lordship Lane. I highly recommend him and his service. AND his plants and bulbs! If you refuse to use public transport because it is oh so overcrowded then perhaps a taxi or even a private car will get you there and back as you can park on the forecourt area if you are not going to be long, though doing so on a Sunday is easier.

Louisa Wrote:

Plus I buy my spring bulbs from the Dulwich

> Garden Centre, I dont wish to be forced to travel

> to Homebase in Penge every March thankyou very

> much.

> Louisa.

Presumably the benefit to the community is in having a bigger, better library? Whether the rent is commercial or peppercorn makes no real difference. And if the developers have to fit it out as well, there's a direct financial saving right there.

Cllr Thomas says in his blog that the alternative would have been commercial premises (eg M&S Food). Personally, I'd rather have an M&S, especially as there's already a perfectly good library just 5 minutes by bus up Lordship Lane. But if people insist on voting the Lib Dems in, you get what's 'good for the community', not what the community wants. He also says

I hope that the new library will act as a catalyst to improve Grove Vale. By increasing pedestrian activity there should be a positive knock-on effect for local traders as well as making the area feel safer.
I would have thought that M&S would increase pedestrian activity more, if that's what they want...

Would not M&S be a threat to the East Dulwich Deli though?

And why think that a library would necessarily increase pedestrian traffic?

WOuld you / do you all use your local libraries?

I hardly ever do. I went to one a few weeks ago - I think I mentioned it - and asked if they had a Chekov play book and the Librarian told me that in the whole of Southwark Libraries there is not one Chekov book.

Good computer system tho....

If people and the market economy needs more flats then more flats it has to be.

Personally I think it should be a big post office with forecourt parking, but - you know - it's not about what we WANT.

There's still a housing shortage in this country, new homes have to be built somewhere. Although ED does seem to have had more than its fair share over the last few years. (disclaimer - I have no data to back this up).

What makes you think it would have been an M&S? It might have been a fast food place, a chain bar, carphone warehouse, whsmiths, estate agents, etc.