Filming in The Plough

sooty

Gavin. You may want to ask why the negative comments. The Plough is my local. It's a lovely pub and serves a great range of drinks. I have actually walked out without managing to get a drink on at least three occasions however, as the service has been so slow. I'm talking about fairly quiet times when there have plenty of staff. I would love for the service to be sorted out as in every other way it's a good pub.

It is the best it's ever been and, while I'm on the subject, how come it is so much better than the Dog? As far as I know it is run by the same company, same wines/beers, the staff are much friendlier and I have not experienced any particulalry slow service on the times I have been in there. Now if you want to wait for a drink in a pub I'll see you in the Dog tonight at 6pm.

EDOldie, you are quite correct, both pubs owned by Mitchells and Butlers, definitely not an easy brewery to work for, (if any is, in this day and age). The Crown and Greyhound's proposition is totally different to the Plough. I think both are good, traditional, solid boozers. I have tried to buy the Plough from M&B without success, as I think given a free reign rather than brewery restricted bull it has the potential to be a cracking establishment. Let's not forget less than a decade ago it was nothing short of a drugs den. Yes, I have waited far too long to be served at times, but the place is run on a tight budget. I still have hopes of getting hold of the place and Turing it back into the traditional old coaching inn it is.

Neilson99 - We use a company to provide our quiz masters - the current one has been with us for quite a while... but the quiz questions and pic sheets remain similar to what they where.... or was it that the quiz master just made the night? Tell you what, I'll pay your teams entry and the first round of drinks if you'd like to come and give our current master a try???

EDOldie and Bunny19 - you're right (Im not allowed to say anything more) but both pubs are run by the same company We do constantly strive to ensure customers are all served quickly and well as I know Sean does at the Crown and Greyhound we both have different ways of doing it and we dont always get it right. Please let us know when we don't get it quite right as we need to hear to continue to develop. Thank you

I have no link with the Plough whatsoever other than it being close to where I live.

When I moved here nearly 5 years ago I never visited the Plough, it was then refurbished and the roast dinners were fab, I went there for a roast pretty much every Sunday. The management changed and it went downhill: after 3 bad experiences on the trot, which were not appropriately rectified, I stopped going for anything other than a hot chocolate on a Tuesday afternoon with some new mum friends upon the birth of my daughter.

When Gavin took over it was apparant he cared and wanted the pub to do well. I 'risked' eating there again and am pleased to say it was lovely, good food and service. I've been back on numerous occasions since and experienced great food and good service on all occasions. I appreciate the team are limited somewhat by the brewery, however, despite this, Gavin and his team are doing great things and everything is moving in a positive direction. Anyone that had a bad experience under the previous management, don't be put off .... It's worth another visit :-)

As for the brewery..... If your reading this, congratulations on appointing a good manager, trust him, give him free reign and reap the benefits!!!!