How much does this forum influence things in your life?

Annasfield

For example, I went to the Bishop for lunch today. I wasn't sure what to have so went for the Chilli (I'd heard on here that it's good - it was!). There also places that I avoid and others I make a point of going to, all because of what I read on here....

Scary how the internet can be so addictive ::o

Annasfield - you read my mind. I meant to start a very similar thread myself. Nice one - and yep that chili sure hits the spot (although today I went for the bowl of chili in Mon Petit Chou - well lush it was too)

The forum does influence my decisions but not always in the obvious way. If several people come on and slag off somewhere I have never been then it brings that place to my attention and I will give it a go

There isn't anywhere I would avoid because of what has been said on here - I don't think anywhere has had a unanimously positive/negative feedback

The other day was waiting for bus on LL, needed to get to Denmark Hill station on time, saw a guy hailing a cab and asked if I could share. Not only was he happy to do so, he turned out to be an occasional Forum reader, we had a nice chat for 5 minutes. So I agree about the community bit.

Isn't it funny that a lot of people have made friends through here, yet on the road where we live, almost every house in the last 30 years has had new people move in, yet in the last 15 or so years hardly any of them ever speak to their neighbours and nobody seems to know each other? Funny old multi-verse we live in isn't it?

Well, I'm probably in danger of loosing my job due to the forum... :-S

Have met some good people, have a great place to go for Liverpool matches, have met a great new "bad influence" ( ;-) ).

Asset, sorry to hear you're weren't too impressed with Ganapati. I was there on Friday, and whilst I still love it, I must admit that the menu is becoming a bit too limited now. I've had everything that doesn't involve prawns or fish, so will probably give it a miss for a while so as not to get bored.

Went to Ganapati last night after having read the reviews on here, totally convinced. Had the Kerela Boatman's Alleppy (?) which was awesome and the service was brilliant.

Oh and the forum influences quite a few things for me, I like hearing the local gossip and knowing what's happening, walking down the street and saying hi to people I've met through it and makes me feel more in touch with the area I live in. Which is nice.

Well it certainly influences my work pattern - er, my lack of work pattern, that is. But on the bright side, when I'm on the dole I'll have more time to post!

Always loved walking down LL on a Saturday - now I love it even more as I invariably bump into someone I know from the forum. Agree with the "sense of community" comments.Met some lovely people and can imagine developing further friendships in the coming year.

And, the Forum makes you think - level of debate is pretty good on some of the more serious threads ie, recently, "Booooring" and "Demographic Changes". Oh and I have pretty much ceased reading books since the Forum. Much as I'd love to join people at the Canning for the book swap, just don't get to read any more.

After my last bookshop went bust I spent a year looking after my son [something I'd rceommend to all Dads] and spent some months negotiating for a new shop with an appallingly unreliable landlord in Kennington. The day I decided to walk away from his prevarication I was on the verge of going back to being a wage slave [wee guy now back at school]. Logged on to EDF and found a post from one Eddie@EDWarehouse looking for independendt retailers...

So I think it's been pretty influential for me.

Ultraconsultancy

spadetownboy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> it doesnt whatsoever, i still drink in the

> vale,shop in sainsburys and iceland, have yet to

> blacken the doorway of william rose, and i love

> plastic bags

===================================================

Bah humbug.... ;-)

I love living in East Dulwich and the EDF is the icing on the cake. Where else can you learn some fascinating historical facts about the area, be informed of current social issues and talk with some interesting people? It's a great resource if I need something locally and it's nice to know you can also do your bit to help others out, inform and amuse them. Working from home it's a great companion and an awful distraction.

For example as a result of a recent post I will now start shopping in Iceland and buy a drink at The Vale with a plastic bag on my head.

I do look at people in LL and wonder if they are on the forum, and who they are. On the other hand I quite like to be anonymous so would never do anything about it.

I did try the CPT on the strength of the many recommendations on the forum, but have to admit it's not quite to my choice.