Christmas tree disposal

ellekit

Hi All

We thoroughly enjoyed our first ever live xmas tree this year and now that the season has passed wondered if anyone knows if the council is collecting christmas trees this year, or what we should do with ours when we're done with it? We have a car so I'm happy to drive it somewhere to be mulched if thats ever an option?

Thanks

It says this on the Southwark website:

Real Christmas trees

All real Christmas trees can be collected as part of your garden waste collection. There will also be special collections for Christmas trees allocated around the borough at: Manor Place recycling centre, plus at Burgess, Belair, Southwark and Peckham Rye parks. You can also arrange for you tree to be collected as part of a free bulky waste collection.

I had the misfortune to choose a tree that died after a week (got full refund). It was too big & messy to put in the car to return so I contacted Southwark Bulk Waste and this is the reply. Yes, really!

Dear

?

Unfortunately Southwark council does not collection real Christmas trees as? Bulk items. However there are other options on house to dispose of the tree.

?

If the tree is cut down it may be put in the brown wheelie bin outside as garden waste, however if the tree does not fit in the bin you may alternatively use the garden waste bags that are available from the library. As long as you the tree fits into a maximum of ten bags these bags will be remove for you with your normal collection.

?

You may also take it to Reuse & Recycling Centre, Manor Place depot located on Walworth Road SE17 3BD. The recycling centre is?free for residents as long as you provide I.D of your?residency.

?

?

?Please do not hesitate to contact us should you require any further assistance.

?

Yours Sincerely,

?

Environment Services

[email protected]

020 7525 2000

It is garden waste day near our house today and I noticed a number of trees just left outside the front of people's houses....presume people are hoping they get taken away.

Looking on the Southwark website it does say it can be collected with garden waste and doesn't go on about chopping it up into little bags from the library (see below). I will see if they have gone when I get home and if so stick ours out in the street next week for the garden collection.

Recycle your real Christmas tree

It can be collected with garden waste, taken to one of our special collection points or you can arrange for a free collection by contacting us on 020 7525 2000.

The collection points are as follows:

? Reuse and Recyling centre, Devon Street, SE15 1AL (from 4 January 2012)

? Belair Park

? Peckham Rye Park

? Southwark Park

Chopped mine up last night. the bigger branches when in the brown bin but the trunk will be kept and burnt

If you want a real tree to last longer my tip is to cut the bottom inch or two off as soon as you get home and stand the tree still wrapped in a bucket of water for at least 24 hours in order that it can rehydrate.

When ready stand in a tree stand that preferrably holds water and keep topped up. Due to our cats deciding that it was fun to jump on the tree (thus it falling over) I emptied our base out the day after boxing day. When i cut it up yesterday it was still in excellent condition almost certainly because I left it in water (for 48 hours). In fact it wouldn't burn as it wasn't nearly dry enough.

SteveUK1978 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> It is garden waste day near our house today and I

> noticed a number of trees just left outside the

> front of people's houses....presume people are

> hoping they get taken away.

Hoped it got taken away and it was this morning

I can confirm that trees in Underhill were being collected, including ones with trunk diameters much over the standard 'branch' width that is proscribed for normal garden waste disposal activity. In the wind this morning it was a matter of catching them sometimes as they skipped along the roads. (They were being moved out of shelter by the bin teams for the van to deal with, then being blown about as they waited pick-up. No one's fault, just inclement weather).

Senior council manager has confirmed the call centre will be re briefed as they are emailing and telling

Elle the wrong thing.

Some streets eg Silvester Road have not had Xmas trees removed today. I've asked if it can be revisited ASAP.

If anyone finds that a tree has not been removed please email as it will take several days to sort this out and some roads will continue to be missed,

• 4 years later...
Ellekit, It's perfectly fine to have a real Christmas tree at your home. I always do this every year because it's more enjoyable, natural and I'm tired of always seeing my kids interacting with artificial objects. However, after the holidays there is a lot of rubbish that has to be remove with the Christmas tree such as food waste, hazardous substances etc. that's why I always call Allan's rubbish removals and get all my household waste removed after Christmas. They cover all London areas and are real professionals