where's good to eat out locally?

Spooner

Hi

We are pretty new and don't get out much due to children. We have a get out of jail card for Friday though and wanted to eat locally somewhere of medium price range that has a good atmosphere but no needing to shout given it is the weekend. Any suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks

We've been to both The Palmerston and Franklins for date nights - possibly a bit more than medium pricing (although you can always be careful with wine selection to keep price down a bit) but both are good for the feeling of escaping from normal grind, would also consider The Mag (unsure if cheaper or same price range).

Think we're very lucky here to have lots of lovely places for local date nights.

Have a lovely time where ever you end up going!

jacks09 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> We went to Le Chardon on NYE and it was v.

> impressive.

>

> We have struggled to find a good indian/chinese

> delivery...any suggestions?

Babur does excellent delivers, they are Brockley but would probably come to ED, I know they do Nunhead

For me, the best restaurant around the local area is Le Querce in Brockley Rise (not far past from Honor Oak station). Superb Italian food and great service. It's an unlikely loking place for such a good restaurant, but it beats anything else around here for Italian (or pretty much anything else for that matter).

Not had lunch there, but they do an amazingly cheap set lunch menu and the food would still be excellent.

There are two good Tapas bars within shouting distance depending on where you live.

Barcelona is on Lordship Lane just on the ED side of the A205 South Circular junction, very good selection but quite easy to start spending a lot of money without trying. We spent ?95 for two people on our evening there without having a dessert.

http://www.ilondon.co.uk/profile/376335/East-Dulwich/Barcelona-Tapas-Bar/

Try Tapas in Forest Hill is a little further afield but excellent value for money with a slightly smaller selection.

http://www.squaremeal.co.uk/restaurants/london/view/136/Try

second Angels and Gypsies on Camberwell Church Street, and also The Crooked Well in Camberwell.

(as an aside, I went to Franklins once when we first moved here, around 8 years ago, and whilst the food was fine I found the seating awful and left the restaurant with back ache, the 'funkily' mismatched chairs and tables meant that the chair was very high in comparison to the table so I was looming over my food (and I'm short, god knows what it would be like for a tall, or even average height person), and it put me off ever going back. Is it still like that?)

I agree with most of the suggestions. My local favourites are (in no particular order):

Lordship Lane

*The Palmerston

*Franklins

*Le Chardon

*Tandoori Nights

Further afield

*Ganapati (Indian, Peckham)

*Babur (Indian, Honor Oak Park)

*22 (Tapas, Herne Hill)

*Angels and Gypsies (Tapas, Camberwell)

*The Crooked Well (Gastropub, Camberwell)

Yak & Yeti in Crystal Palace does amazing takeaway. It's authentic Nepalese, Indian and Tibetan and each time we have ordered we have been very happy. The meat is of very good quality and they have a great range of dishes. Have tried a lot of other Indian takeaways in the area but they've been average in comparison.

Love Angels & Gypsies in Camberwell, went there last wk food is gorgeous. Barcelona in Dulwich I thought served terrible tapas!

Franklins is great as is The Bishop and The Paxton (Gypsy Hill).

I am a big fan of Brixton Village, especially on a Friday night...great atmosphere and fantastic food, cheap as three times cooked chips. Okay not that local, but great to get out! Come back and have a beer. I would recommend KaoSarn, but booking essential, honest burger and franco manca, wait and queue.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2011/oct/09/jay-rayner-brixton-village-unit

Up the road you I always for a nice night out go to Joanna's in Crystal Palace, great pubs and vibe for a drink afterwards too..

More locally organise a night out at one of Suzanne James supper clubs, mid week, booking essential, but the best food and service locally and its BYO. www.suzannejames.co.uk

And Marie81 I agree with you about Barcelona..the most awful tapas and so expensive...and the breakfast is great at Joanna's went there last week..very leisurely Saturday brekkie with the papers in lovely surroundings, best bacon ever.

Marie81 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Ooh I second Joanna's how could I forget, they do

> a great breakfast aswell!

Archived