The Secret History of Our Streets

Yes Nappy Lady I agree that the Bermondsey episode was very different to the others I've watched. Not half as many flashbacks or mapping and it just lacked something interesting or so I thought.

Nearly missed this but remembered to record it. Glad I did and watched it after A&E King's.

It has evidence that Southwark Council are auctioning off their houses/flats, thus reducing their housing stock. An American woman had bought a place in Reverdy Road and now had her sights set on No. 62. No 62 was a council property but had an auction sign outside - American woman went to the auction but was outbid. Southwark Council sold No. 62 for ?319,000 but after property developers moved in it's going to be worth ?1 million plus.

Lewisham Council have just been forced to give back properties to their waiting lists. Properties that they were going to sell privately.

An elderly neighbour of mine died just before Christmas. She was paying rent to Southwark Council for this property. Her house is now up for sale with an estate agent in Dulwich Village for ?439,000.

Hi Kittysailing,

I serendipitously came across the Camberwell Grove program a few days ago on catch-up TV, it was awesome!

Congrats to you and your production team - a really well told story, good combination of history and anthropolgy with a bit of social justice thrown in for good measure!

I really enjoyed how you contextualised the conservation of Camberwell Grove within the Greater London trends (to pull down Georgian/Edwardian and Victorian terraces). I also had no idea South London came so close to having a fly-over/ expressway!

Really great show.

Thanks!

KWB

I really liked last nights episode, and the way that current residents read extracts from old residents diaries - so clever! I found the editing on the Notting Hill episode a bit distracting at times(people 'jumping' at edit points).... But regardless of that every episode has been fascinating. I've lived in my road for 15 years and had many interesting conversations with other residents who have lived there from birth, now in their 80s plus - its so great to do this on a wider scale!

I want more!!!

I really enjoyed last night - a good juxtaposition to the extremes of Portland Road. Interesting to see a road where the social make-up has altered so little - I wonder how rare or common this is in London? What I found most interesting was the fact that where there was bomb damage it had just been left as a wilderness - no 1940s house or nasty block of flats - I wonder who owns that piece of land. Looking forward to next week - sad that it's the last!

• 9 months later...
  • 3 years later...