Sainsbury?s stock

Sainsburys in Forest Hill had eggs on Thursday last week but only in boxes of 15. They weren't there at 8am when the shop opened but spotted them in someone else's basket as they passed me so double backed. As I was only planning on buying a pack of 6 to free them up for others, I'm now being eggstravagant with eggy breakfasts!

And yes, they were still selling Easter eggs for between 10p and 60p

Stock is definitely better both at DKH and Bell Green, but I really didn't enjoy my last Sainsburys trip at the weekend, because of the customers. There were plenty of people wearing masks (good) but almost no attempt at social distancing from the majority of people in the store (bad) - lots of pushing past other people to get at stock and blocking aisles so people couldn't move past at a safe distance.

It really felt to me like people were getting back to normal shopping habits and/or felt like wearing a mask made them invulnerable. There were also lots of couples (of all ages) and groups shopping together, which I didn't think was permitted. I generally have been fine going out to do one big weekly shop but this was the first time since lockdown started that I felt really uncomfortable being out in public (even with a mask).

I'll swap eggs (absolutely no probs in the shops I use) for tins of toms. We can arrange an exchange somewhere like the Glenicke Bridge in East Berlin. If anyone would like to PM me where to get toms I'll whisper where I get eggs from in return.

bsand Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Simply the best eggs I've ever tasted and they do

> min order 60. Ordered one day came the next. Will

> last for up to 3 months particularly so if you

> coat the shells in veg oil but they won't last

> that long. Pass it on.

>

> https://thegoodeggfellas.co.uk/

How can they last for "up to" three months ?

Surely eggs can't last as long as three months?

These eggs are bought from the farmer direct - there is no shortage of eggs at the farms nor do you contribute to shortages at the supermarket. They have plenty of capacity for all. By buying direct you help to support ethical and responsible farming.

malumbu Wrote:

> Then why are you talking about storing for nine

> months whilst taking a snipe at those panio buying

> eggs? Only I am aloud to take snipes from my

> lofty perch, on my moral high ground.....

You can't make a omelette without..

The 9 months was theoretical! The company I mentioned above previously supplied many high-end restaurants. So by buying from them, you are helping ethical British farmers keep their business going and taking pressure off supermarket stocks for people who don't want to or can't afford to buy 60 at a time. It's all good with no downside!

malumbu Wrote:

> Then why are you talking about storing for nine

> months whilst taking a snipe at those panio buying

> eggs? Only I am aloud to take snipes from my

> lofty perch, on my moral high ground.....

Because someone recommended a supplier of eggs, with a large minimum order. So shelf life is relevant.

Nobody is talking about deliberately stockpiling them.

dbboy Wrote:

> What in heavens name do you intend to do with 60

> eggs? They've a shelf life of about 7 - 10 days

> MAX.

mine last 3 weeks or so and i keep them in the fridge (we never used to)- i know they are better fresh for poaching or frying - I try and use older ones for other things.

I've never had the misfortune of opening a bad egg :)

Half of our 60 are already gone eating and cooking over 10 days. They are still as fresh and lovely now as they were when we bought them - quite a lot of baking going on here as well. Reckon we will have enough for the next couple of weeks then re-order. There are only 2 adults in our household but I can imagine with a larger family they would go down even quicker. You could even double up with a neighbour and split a batch. Anyway, I put the info out there for anyone who wants to take it up and I repeat this is not hoarding or panic buying, in fact, the complete opposite.

bsand Wrote:

> Half of our 60 are already gone eating and cooking

> over 10 days. They are still as fresh and lovely

> now as they were when we bought them - quite a lot

> of baking going on here as well. Reckon we will

> have enough for the next couple of weeks then

> re-order. There are only 2 adults in our household

> but I can imagine with a larger family they would

> go down even quicker. You could even double up

> with a neighbour and split a batch. Anyway, I put

> the info out there for anyone who wants to take it

> up and I repeat this is not hoarding or panic

> buying, in fact, the complete opposite.

We have 4 adults- 3 are vegetarians- we all eat eggs and get through about 30 a week. Shortage of eggs was the only thing I worried about really.

Luckily Sainsburys has been well stocked with crates of beer, which is very important during this lockdown period. Im not sure why people are so keen to buy stuff like eggs to do menial tasks such as baking- you'd have much more fun at home boozing and playing tunes nice and loud.