Sainsbury?s stock

I went yesterday at 4 queued for about 40 minutes, trolley handles were sprayed with disinfectant no eggs but loads of Easter ones .or tins , quite calm and everyone keeping distance. Staff very unhappy but I appreciate and appauld them . I have not stockpiled at all , a little upset when they took meat away from me at till . I was hoping to shop for week main meals but was told only 3 meats. Which I totally understand just means more visits out :( .think I going to give it a miss after shopping there for years and use corner shops . Great to see staff have screens but definitely need cheering up. It?s difficult times a happy face helps . When crossing the road to distance on pavement I have adopted the habit of saying morning etc , and its nice to have a reply back , makes it a friendly social distancing 🤣🤣

twinhunters Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I was hoping to shop for week main meals but was told only 3

> meats.

Sounds odd, I didn't realise meat was in short supply. Oh well... I suppose eating more veg and fish won't do us any harm...

That's concerning. I wondered how Sainsbury's were enforcing their rationing of no more than three of any item per customer. I expected they would make their policy clear in the store, rather than take chilled/frozen items back at the till. What do they do with the meat they take from the customer? I was formerly told by a supervisor that any frozen or chilled products which customers discard at the tills can't be put back for sale because they have been out of the fridge or freezer for an unknown amount of time. Did the cashier call for a member of staff to take the meat and put it back straightaway? If not, it defeats the purpose of the rationing.

However, Sainsbury's have today announced that they are relaxing their rationing from Sunday:-

"Feeding the nation

We have been working hard with our suppliers to improve our product availability. Most people are now just buying what they need for themselves and their families. This means we now often have stock on the shelves all day and at the end of the day.

People have been queuing to get into our stores when they open in the mornings, but customers are now finding they can shop at any time of the day and feel confident in finding most of what they need.

As stock continues to build, we have been reviewing whether we still need to limit the number of items people buy. I am pleased to tell you that we will start to remove limits from Sunday. Limits will remain in place on the most popular items which include UHT milk, pasta and tinned tomatoes.

We have removed limits from Easter eggs immediately as we know families often want to buy more than three and we have plenty of these in all stores and online.

From today, we are asking everyone to please only send one adult per household to our shops. This helps us keep people a safe distance apart and also helps to reduce queues to get into stores. Our store teams will be asking groups with more than one adult to choose one adult to shop and will ask other adults to wait. Children are of course welcome if they are not able to stay at home."

kiera Wrote:

>

> From today, we are asking everyone to please only

> send one adult per household to our shops. This

> helps us keep people a safe distance apart and

> also helps to reduce queues to get into stores.

> Our store teams will be asking groups with more

> than one adult to choose one adult to shop and

> will ask other adults to wait. Children are of

> course welcome if they are not able to stay at

> home."

That's sensible. But I hope they will use their discretion if there are unusual circumstances (eg I don't know if it was on here, but I read of a couple where one was partially sighted and the other had mobility issues, and they needed to shop as a pair so that they could each help the other).

Sorry about the meat. Most odd because someone on here posted 31st March saying there was so much meat available, the bulk of which was "sell by 1st April'. When I was in Waitrose the other day (Oxford Street) the butcher was calling me over (not many in shop) telling me of all his bargain priced meat. I wonder whether they have reduced their stocks of meat if they are not selling and that is why they are now rationing it. By the way - lovely idea of saying hello. I am 100% with you on your corner shop mentality. When you think how much Sainsbury's are making, they could give staff bonus etc - that would make them smile

Hmm. Fresh pasta is wonderful but it's a myth that it's always the best option. Spaghetti, fusilli, macaroni and so on are much better dried. And v hard to find.

paulu197 Wrote:

> Fresh pasta is always available(including

> spaghetti amd tagliatelle) and the use by date is

> beginning of May. Also tastes a hell of amlot

> better than the dried stuff

Queues can look absolutely huge due to 2m spacing. If people arn't dallying doing their shopping shouldn't take to long to get in the shop.

ED - NAGAIUTB Wrote:

> Sainsburys DKH - queueing out onto Edgar Kyle Way

> again this morning.

>

> M&S by the station - straight in and plenty of

> stock.

>

> M&S LL - big queue

>

> Sainsburys by the library - small queue

regarding queuing up, I don't think it's fair if we are queuing up for a good half hour and some people get to push in the que and go straight in the shop. They are not nhs workers and they don't look vulnerable. if you don't at the right time slot you should have to que up like everyone else.

gromit3:16 Wrote:

> regarding queuing up, I don't think it's fair if

> we are queuing up for a good half hour and some

> people get to push in the que and go straight in

> the shop. They are not nhs workers and they don't

> look vulnerable. if you don't at the right time

> slot you should have to que up like everyone else.

What would "looking vulnerable" look like?

I queued for about 15 minutes to get into Waitrose in Beckenham early this morning. The shop was very well stocked, including tinned tomatoes, pasta, rice, and eggs. I also popped into M&S and waited for five minutes to get in. Again, it was very well stocked and I didn't notice any gaps on the shelves. The only thing I couldn't find in either shop was a cauliflower!

gromit3:16 Wrote:

> It's not the point really as they shouldn't be allowed to push in the que when

> everyone is in the same boat waiting.

I get your frustration - we're all frustrated - but I don't know you how can say that, while knowing nothing of their specific circumstances.