Recommend a GP..

stefarron

I've been bitterly disappointed with DMC in the past.

However, I have recently found a GP there who I like, who is sympathetic, thorough and actually seems bothered to listen to and do something about what I'm saying, rather than the usual "don't make a fuss" attitude I've come to expect of GPs. I've also managed to ring up and have an appointment within a couple of days (which is virtually unheard of at that place) and had some very prompt callbacks from the GP too. If they keep this up I'll stay with them but otherwise will look elsewhere!

Whatever you do, do not go to the Melbourne Grove practice. They are without doubt the most incompetent bunch of chancers that I have ever had the misfortune of dealing with. I have undertaken programmes of work for PCT?s and am sure that Southwark PCT would take a dim view of their procedures.

I would never touch Forest Hill Road practice. All very well if you can wait for one of the good ones but how often is that? I was with them for over 30 years and we have watched their practice nosedive in many ways. Many of us have left in the last six months, we all knew each other through baby care etc.

• 9 months later...

Nunhead Surgery JUSt to add another in the mix! They regularly come top in Southwark's list of surgeries for all sorts of things, and recommendations on the NHS forums are always positive.

Recent reviews are not quite so positive about receptionists which is interesting and something I shall raise when I next go to the Patient's Forum meeting which all surgeries have, for all patients to contribute to.

Type in your own surgery and see what folk say and more importantly add your own reviews.

http://www.nhs.uk/Services/GP/ReviewsAndRatings/DefaultView.aspx?id=38074

Its all well and good recommending surgeries however I have noticed that they seem to have a very narrow catchment area, and after doing research and digging around I decided which local GP I wish to register with, turned up at the desk only to be told they didn't take patients from my postcode, odd I thought as two of my neighbours recommended them.

Turns out the rules have changed and they'd been regestered there for years-In the end I found only one surgery that would take patients from my postcode, even through its not the nearest to my home and requires either a 30min uphill walk or a bus ride.

They are pretty useless as the reviews stated, been twice, very unimpressed would love to change but despite it appearing that you have a choice of GP when it boils down to you you do not.

pandrns Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Highly recommend The Gardens - receptionist is

> always chatty and friendly (which is a rarity) and

> Dr Tran is very easy to talk to.

Dr Tran is brilliant, love her sense of humour and chattiness - laughter is the best medicine! Seen her a few times and her personality always takes the edge off how rough i might be feeling :)

DMC Chadwick Road get my vote, the best surgery I've ever used. The receptionists are pleasant and helpful, rather than considering their primary role to be to prevent you from seeing a doctor, as in some other surgeries. I've rarely seen the same doctor, although I don't go that often, but I've been happy with the majority of them.

Another vote for Nunhead Surgery if you're in the catchment area. Simply the best I've ever had. Dr Ackland is amazing. Often a wait but when you see the GP you understand why, they're so thorough. And I've always found the receptionists to be lovely and very helpful.

• 3 weeks later...

I have recently left 306 as the nurse answered the phone (personal call) whilst seeing me to have a chat. I then had problems with a repeat prescription and the final issue was I went into the surgery and in the waiting room the nurse approached me about a procedure I needed to have, which I felt was highly unprofessional.

I then registered with DMC and after spending an hour every morning since last Thursday trying to get an appointment, and calling back every afternoon and being told there is nothing I am having to look elsewhere. I cannot beleive the quality of GPs in the area!

monniemae Wrote:

> I used to recommend the Gardens though had a

> couple of bad experiences. I highly recommend

> Nunhead Grove Surgery particularly Dr Ackland.

Totally agree, Dr Ackland (apparently she is actually the daughter of Joss Ackland!) is just lovely. Dr Iu also great, though a man. But the whole surgery, esp the receptionists, is second to none. Appointments usually the same day, no questions, they are efficient, cheerful and helpful. Pretty unusual!

kikimac and others, there was a Patients Forum meeting last week (for Nunhead Grove), if you are not already members I would recommend you consider coming along (anyone can come) and the details are in the surgery. They always take any complaints very seriously and recent complaints made on the NHS websites hurt them greatly so they are taking steps to deal with it and ensure the training of reception staff is always up to scratch. Shame DMC and others don't follow suit.

PeckhamNicola Wrote:

> DMC Chadwick Road get my vote, the best surgery

> I've ever used. The receptionists are pleasant

> and helpful, rather than considering their primary

> role to be to prevent you from seeing a doctor, as

> in some other surgeries. I've rarely seen the

> same doctor, although I don't go that often, but

> I've been happy with the majority of them.

This is "my" surgery, the old Isidore Crown. The receptionists are pleasant -- but they indeed are used to deny access to physicians. As the assistants are inflexible, and as they are not medically trained, this practice is not for those who are unwell but who also are faint of heart. "No appointments for a telephone call-back till Friday," I was told two days ago; this when the GP herself had said, "Call me back in the afternoon of the day when you have the blood work done at King's." On two occasions thus I found myself this week in the position of saying by telephone to a receptionist, "Thank you. I understand what you have told me. May I now speak with the practice manager?"

The practice manager then, both times, listened to what I set out -- a f'r-instance -- "She told me, as you have told me, that she would not be at work today, but she wanted me to speak with one of her colleagues about the blood-work results and about how my condition is evolving. I am following her instructions and I shall be grateful if you let me discuss those results with one of her colleagues" -- and arranged for the GP to speak with me inside ten minutes. After which, things went well.

In dealings with these people, then, bring determination and persistence. "Mustn't grumble" will mean that your chest cold is a galloping double pneumonia by the time the practice deigns to address your problem.

Continuity of care is non-existent here, as Nicola has remarked. The physicians are younger women working part-time; good on them and their kids, who need to spend time with Mum! -- but such arrangements, with multiple handings-off, increase the chances that your problem will be incompletely understood, and indeed a faulty computer system (crashed during the GP's attempt to record her observations) led this week to notes of events at visit A not being available at visit B.

Gardens surgery isn't overly great; the reception staff are miserable and often rude, plus they are never on time (waited 40 mins once!). A doctor, who I believe has left since seeing her, told me I was "silly" for not wanting to start having children for another three years (I am 27 now) as I wanted to become qualified in my career first - I was livid.

Dr Addo is the only doctor I will see there.