East Dulwich parking survey just hit.

karter

Just had a guy from lib dems ring the door bell and ask me to fill in a form on Controlled parking zone (again) in the area and they will pick it up within the hour.

Personally i dont think it's needed and yes it is difficult to park at times but not always.

Did anybody else get a visit?

We also had a visit Karter.

There are parking problems on some roads especially those off the busy parts of Lordship Lane. However, my experience of such measures and the sheer volume of people coming to shop on LL in cars, makes me doubtful their proposals would improve the problem. They would just lead to those residents having difficulty parking having to pay a yearly sum on top! Indeed, if they were successful, such measures would surely impact on the LL shops.

Wish they would concentrate on making LL safer and more pedestrian friendly. Solving the lack of a safe crossing near Somerfield and across East Dulwich Grove would be a good place to start.

Great there's a recession coming and some 'let us idiots run your life' politician wants to impose parking restictions.....really, really help keep trade up on the Lane. I live right near LL and it's occasionally a problem on Saturday - I can live with that. Seriously you couldn't make these idiots who are our elected representatives up but I guess that's our fault really.

Momo - you hit the nail on the head, they want our money to spend on their hairbrained idiotic initiatives. the least power and money politicains have the better - i've never met a decent one, either idiots or power hungry and too often both

yup - Peckham was never great for shopping but it completley went down hill when they imposed parking restrictions and sent the targeted hitlers out.....still I'm sure it gave them a few ???? to spend on whatever until people with cars just stopped going there

Well I live near JAGS and Alleyns and during school term times it is a nightmare to park. I have taken a photo of my street in school holidays and there are 2 or 3 cars, however the rest of the time it is chokka and if I go out and come back at school pick up time the street is a joke. Personally I would welcome a CPZ in order to keep the mum scum out of the street (although it can be quite entertaining watching them trying to negotiate their massive cars up and down the small road). The argument that it would be detrimental to trade on LL is rubbish. Perhaps it would encourage more people to get off their arses and walk to the shops or if that's not possible, to pay the ?1 fee.

We live in Crawthew Grove and it is a nightmare with all the Foxtons minis, affecting both residents parking as well as any shsoppers coming to Lordship Lane! If the parking scheme came into effect on my road, I would want to know how many permites Foxtons would be given!

No just those that constantly moan about roads being so full of cars that they can't park in front of their front door.

This is London? You own a car or more?

If you live close to Lordship Lane what do you expect? It the commercial center of the area and most of the property's are split into flats. The remainder have concreted over the front garden. Taking it out on Foxtons isn't going to solve anything. Getting rid of your car is probably more proactive.

I'm a bit confused about what this "survey" is. My understanding is that Southwark Council have to go through a 2 stage process to introduce a CPZ anywhere - and their website doesn't show Lordship Lane as currently being under Stage One survey.

http://www.southwark.gov.uk/YourServices/transport/parking/cpzreviews/

Hmmm, even more curious, just spoke to someone at Southwark Parking who said that Southwark Council have no plans to introduce a CPZ on Lordship Lane and are not currently conducting any surveys in our area.

So, what is the purpose of the LibDems conducting this survey, if it's not an official Southwark Council survey? What is the information going to be used for?

in their unnecessarily massive status symbol 4x4s yes, when the kids are well above the age that they could walk, cycle or get - god forbid - public transport yes. When they don't think 'ooh, I'll park a street or two away and walk the rest as it is always a nightmare in that street' yes.

I suspect this is a classic Lib Dem trick I've seen elsewhere - they will pretend it is some sort of important, official survey but actually it is just a way for them to gather information about you/your voting intentions/what issues you find important. Once had one sent to me by post saying "(Your Area) Residents' Survey" followed by questions on every topic you can imagine, then in tiny letters at the bottom "Printed & Promoted by the Liberal Democrats" (which they are legally obliged to put on all election material).

sorry but the document says "East Dulwich Parking Survey" then Liberal Democrats, there's no "trick" there and then the first paragraph then says:

"your three Lib Dem councillors ... have been approached many times in the last year by local residents asking for controlled parking so they can park near their homes, equally some people are vigorously opposed to it, we want to know what you think". Their mobile phone numbers are at the top of the page so if you want to ask them something you can give them a call.

As far as I can see it's all overhand and they're just wanting to find out what people think. Sounds like a good idea to me.

As Mark points out, the reason we decided to do the survey is that we get lots of complaints about parking. So we thought we would ask people what they think. I fail to see the problem in that. The reaction of some posts on the forum seem rather over the top! I am pleased to say that most people we spoke to were pleased we were asking them their views and many many people did complete the survey. we will be reporting back on the results in due course.

richard