East Dulwich parking survey just hit.

karter

It might be easier for you to convince people of the realities of car ownership in a popular suburb of a major capital city, namely that it is as unlikely as it is desirable that a resident will be able to park his car outside his house. If that gets through, then there'll be no need for CPZs. Nero

Was only being sarky :-| *makes mental note about those lacking a sense of humour* :p

Anyway... returning to the thread... controlled parking - it's always one of those subjects to be dragged up time and time again. we all know estate agents contribute heavily to the congestion and issues with parking in and around the area... I think having some control with them would work better than imposing parking restrictions blah blah blah

To reiterate what Cllr Richard Thomas posted earlier.

All three East Dulwich Lib Dem councillors have been repeatedly contacted by residents complaining about problem parking in East dulwich especially near to East Dulwich station and Lordship Lane. Hence the survey asking for peoples views. We know that four years ago people were pretty evenly split on this issue. We've ensured our survey makes it clear what a permit currently costs and asks whether residents would want parking permits based on CO2 emissions.

IF the survey results show the majority of residents in an area do want Controlled Parking we would seek a formal Controlled Parking Zone review. Money from the developer for a formal review was agreed as part of the Planning Gain Section 106 agreement for 72 Grove Vale.

Regards cllr james barber

> IF the survey results show the majority of residents in an area do want Controlled Parking we would seek a formal Controlled Parking Zone review. Money from the developer for a formal review was agreed as part of the Planning Gain Section 106 agreement for 72 Grove Vale.

Interesting and clever contingent planning gain.

Happy if Controlled parking is brought in, as long as residents receive a free permit (one per household.)?? I won't hold my breath.

I haven't seen the Lib Dem "survey"; I do remember the last survey for CPZ's. It was very fairly worded. I seem to recall we were told that with the introduction of the congestion charge, East Dulwich residents would face an Armada of commuter vehicles parking all the way up LL and the side streets. Funny that it doesn?t appear to have happened?

As I have stated previously when this subject has come up, occasional parking inconvenience is something that I put up with. It is one of the disadvantages of being a car user. The inconvenience is minor however. I occasionally have to park in a road around the corner from my own, yet I always find that there is a good turnover of spaces and normally within 20 mins or less a space or more appears if I want to (anally) go and repark my car right outside my house. My experience of using residents? permits is that you still have similar "problems" to the above, but now you are paying an annual sum for the privilege!

I note Cllr Barber says there is concern about parking close to East Dulwich Station - is the survey going to be the usual blinkered type based on post code rather than proximity to the station - we already suffer from parking problems due to commuter parking on the streets on the SE15 side of Grove Vale - the introduction of a CPZ on the SE22 side would simply exacerbate the problem - the last time a CPZ was mooted it was for SE22 only!

Just like congestion zones a cpz just shifts the problem onto someone else's doorstep. Residents pay for the privilege to park closer to their front door plus the cost of their friends and tradesmen. Then next thing you know you'll be charged based on the cc of your car whereas everyone else retains freedom of choice. The LL economy will suffer because it's easier to park in Sainsbury's and next thing you know we'll be just another clone. The only real winner will be the council and extra funding for some dubious research expenses.

"I seem to recall we were told that with the introduction of the congestion charge, East Dulwich residents would face an Armada of commuter vehicles parking all the way up LL and the side streets. Funny that it doesn?t appear to have happened?"

it does happen on the streets nearest the station. melbourne/derwent/elsie are full all day every working day - you can see the lazy drivers park up at 8 and pick up the cars again at 6. why can't they just get the bus? if they live that far away they can go to forest hill or honor oak. it does only seem to be this small area that has a problem.

I hope all the people posting there anti-cpz comments on here filled out the survey stating they didn't want the CPZ? I did, but am slightly worried the council might get an invalid view of what people want if we don't bother to fill this kind of stuff in. If we all say no on the survey then it's nicely nipped in the bud and no more of our tax money gets wasted on "investigating" how to charge us money to park near our homes.

Melbourne Grove (at least south of ED Grove) is absolutely NOT full up all day every day and never has been. I live on this stretch and never have any trouble parking my (one) car at any time of day - even if once in a while it has to be parked a little further down the street or round the corner. That seems perfectly acceptable for urban parking. Anyone who thinks they have some kind of "right" to park directly outside their houses in a built up urban area is barking mad.

So, definitely against an unnecessary, inconvenient, expensive CPZ here. Hope they send me their survey!

if it wasn't obvious, it's the roads near the station that are always full, i.e. those N of ED grove. (including from the post above some of those in se15). anyone want to dispute that? (doesn't mean i support a cpz, just pointing out that the various comments that there are zero parking problems are true for many but not everyone).

karter Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Estate agents will not listen, they won't reduce

> the amount of cars they have.

If they will not listen, then they must be forced to open their ears

damage to cars mounts up and affects Bonus and turnover.

Hit them where it will affect them most .In their wallets

*Snorky does not condone any kind of direct action or criminal damage ever*

I have a school almost directly opposite where I live, I didnt ask for it to be put there back in 1993 nor was I consolted on any potnetial permit scheme which could be offered so I didnt have problems with parking. I now find it impossible to park outside my own house and when i've been forced to park on the schools zigzag lines I get a ticket. I am sick of it, so either get rid of the school and the nursery so that annoying parents arnt stealing spaces from my neighbours and myself, or give us permits (controlled parking zones). Bllody self righteous parents with there kids, STAY AWAY FROM MY PARKING SPACE OUTSIDE MY HOUSE!!!!!!

Louisa.

If you want to collect the true feeling of the community about parking then why put it on a survey that also asks about who you are going to vote for and whether you would be willing to display political posters or campaign on behalf of the party? This is bound to skew the responses.

I'd suggest our Councillors consult the guidelines of the Market Research Society for what is proper opinon research - and not cliam that anything that is sent out primarily as a political marketing tool is a 'survey'. (this is a non-partisan point as most of the parties use this type of tool).

Rant over ;0)

Grateful for the clarification from our local councillors, but I share some of the concerns raised by urbanfox based on what has been described by others on this thread. There's no indication of who has been surveyed, which roads and/or individual houses have been selected and how. It's also not clear whether leaflets have been left for householders who are out when the Libdems call, or whether you have to be in your house for your opinion to be counted. And yet the results of the majority of this survey will be used to decide whether there's a formal request for a CPZ.

I also don't quite understand the meaning of the comment above that "money from the developer for a formal review was agreed as part of the Planning Gain Section 106 agreement for 72 Grove Vale". Is the formal review being funded by developer money this survey now being conducted by the Libdems, or would it be the Stage One survey for the purposes of a CPZ?

Should make clear, I'm pretty neutral about the idea of a CPZ - though it would probably stop me from using Lordship Lane for day to day (30 minute parking) food shopping as much as I currently do - I can understand residents' frustrations. I just believe that Southwark Council should be carrying out any surveys which are required in order to move to a formal Stage One CPZ request - so that whatever is done is in accordance with the constitution and the survey is statistically significant and valid.

karter Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hi James, can you tell us which roads you posted

> the survey to . Some people i have spoken to did

> NOT receive one namely off Northcross Road.

I live off Northcross (on Archdale) and I received one