Hoopers closure - loss of another proper boozer

zork

Bit of a shame to hear Hoopers is closing though not exactly a surprise. One of the only remaining old school locals in the area within a sea of group owned 'pubs' where you sit on an a vintage industrial style stool and wonder whether to order some chorizo and dipping bread. Hoopers only offering is of sausage rolls and pies bought from Morrisons and there's something I kinda like about it... in a nostalgic 1987 sort of way.

At least we still have the Hermits in Camberwell.

Definitely closing - here is an extract from an email I received confirming it from Jamie

"Viv and I have to give you the SAD NEWS THAT WE WILL BE CLOSING FROM Xmas Eve.

Haven't the time to explain the problems of running a profitable pub just now, but you can probaly guess anyway. If you call in, I will be happy to explain a few of the reasons we had to come to this sad decision.

We would love to say our farewells to all the customers and neighbours we have become friends with over the last 6 years, so if you want to catch up with us, we will be around this Friday 7th and Sat. 8th, I will be here maybe Fri 14th, defintely Sat 15th and both of us all weekend Fri 21st to Sun. 23rd.

However it is not our style to go out with a wimper, so we are putting gigs on the next 3 weekends, which we think will be of interest both to you.

Ben Holland has a gig here at Hoopers Bar, SE5 Sat. 8th Dec. 8.30pm

A customer brought him in to play last Saturday whe we had the Xmas Tribute Night, and he was spell blinding. Close your eyes and you thought you were listening to Bob Dylan circa 1970.

His songs can be found and downloaded from www.soundcloud.com/ben_music

There are photos and info at www.facebook.com/benhollandmusic

Then on Sat. 15th we move our attention to World Music, steel drums, keyboards with Dan Monte's Pangaea.

He is electryfing, and he and his group always go down a storm, with each year's gig a bit different to the previous.

A link is http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pang?a/231585143555391?ref=ts&fref=ts

Finally we have the annual Xmas get together of Nunhead Folk Circle on Friday 21st Dec."

• 2 months later...

Hello - am moving to the area soon and specifically very close to the old Hoopers.

Are there any plans to reopen this pub - be they chorizo and dipping bread or spit n sawdust?

Such a great local situation - would be terrible if it became flats or a tesco metro.

Oh no I love the area (Grove Hill Rd) - perfectly in between ED and Bellenden etc.. but would have been great to have a properly close, cosy, secret local.

Used to drink at the Pineapple in NW5, so hankering after something similar! Maybe someone will swoop in, but it's so under the radar!

cle Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

>>

> Are there any plans to reopen this pub - be they

> chorizo and dipping bread or spit n sawdust?

xxxxx

At the time it closed, Jamie Hooper told me that there were a couple of (separate) people interested in keeping it going as a pub. What happened after that I don't know. If it's still closed with no sign of re-opening, I'm assuming that their plans didn't materialise.

So far as I know Jamie still owns the building itself and at the time had no intention of selling it, however that may have changed.

I can be as nostalgic as the next man but have never, quite, bought into the longing for "proper boozers".

I recall on first arriving in ED popping in to the then Foresters, now The Bishop. I was greeted (metaphorically - nobody said anything) by three morose punters reading the sports pages of the Star, all of whom glared at me for interrupting their day. The floor and general decor was off putting and I didn't bother to stay to try the beer.

There are a few places that simply focus on being a convivial spot to drink, talk and relax - and this can be done without recourse to gastro pub grub or overstuffed and distressed sofas. I remember, fondly the Rugglestone Inn, on Dartmoor just outside Widdicome - it only held a beer and cider licence, all served from jugs brought up from the cellar in great condition, the food offering was crisps (plain or salt 'n vinegar) or peanuts. seating was in what was, in effect, the landlord's front parlour and anymore than a dozen meant crowding.

However, I hold no brief and do not miss filthy, unwelcoming pubs with poor service.

• 3 months later...

Thought I'd revive this thread: many will probably already know that a local architect is on the verge of buying Hoopers to convert it into flats.

What a terrible shame: it won't be long before the effect of the overland will be felt and there will be demand for a well run pub offering decent food. Neither of which the current owner offered.

Could be a gold mine. Well, viable anyway.

Was wondering whether the people who bought the CPT now Great Exhibition would be interested: but don't know what the company is called.

Or a community pub.

• 1 month later...

Certainly would be a shame if it can't be reopened as a pub. Always got a good turnout for local events, footie, and comedy nights. Just never had the regulars - and I suspect a pub that doesn't do food can't make money these days.

It'd be great to open it as community pub but without the architectural attractions of the Ivy House I don't know if it could get enough attention/momentum to happen. Glad to be proved wrong...I miss it

d2a Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Certainly would be a shame if it can't be reopened

> as a pub. Always got a good turnout for local

> events, footie, and comedy nights. Just never had

> the regulars - and I suspect a pub that doesn't do

> food can't make money these days.

>

> It'd be great to open it as community pub but

> without the architectural attractions of the Ivy

> House I don't know if it could get enough

> attention/momentum to happen. Glad to be proved

> wrong...I miss it

xxxxxx

It never really worked as a music venue because of the layout, with the bar breaking up the space. Whichever end the music was set up, on a popular night the people at the other end couldn't see.

And there is no separate room to hold ticketed gigs, so anything quietish was a nono because of people talking who didn't want to listen to the music.

I imagine it would be the same with comedy.

One of the main plus points of The Ivy House is the large room at the back with the purpose built stage.

• 3 weeks later...
Apparently Jamie has put in a planning application to convert the whole building not flats. I never understood why it wasn't made to work, I think the biggest problem was the complete lack if food. Even a basket of rolls, pork pies and sausage rolls on the bar would have done. Never understand why all pubs don't do this.

I think it's mainly that there is not enough demand for back street pubs. But possibly the decor/layout could have been a bit more up to date. But who knows?

Not convinced that the new overground line makes the area significantly more attractive, or a pub more viable.

If it really is being turned into flats then its a real shame, but hardly a shock.

I think it suffered from being slightly off the beaten track. Not on many walking routes - only passed when people are cutting through on car journeys - and further away than the pubs near Bellenden Road like the Victoria, Montpellier and Prince Albert. Always stocked good ales and beers and I went there to watch sport, but seemed a bit empty sometimes.

Think it might have also been affected by not having any outside space - which is one of the key attributes of a lot of the successful pubs in the area, especially since the smoking ban.

It was also very cold in the winter. A few times we went in the fire was not lit, and that large area at the back was very uninviting. However the selection of beers, OK food (when we went there) and friendly bar staff meant that we did return a few times, but it was just that bit too far to be a real local, and just not that interesting to be a destination evening out.

Archived