Locale - new Restaurant and Cocktail Bar

I agree with the comment above re acoustics. The Green was extremely noisy because it was such a big space and so echoey.

If that could be sorted out, that would be a big improvement. Its not much fun going out for dinner with friends and hardly being able to hear each other talk! It put us off going to The Green that often.

Good luck with it and look forward to seeing it opening.

not wishing to sound unwelcoming but... does anyone else feel that perhaps he ought to have mentioned in his first post that this is indeed a chain? it just feels a little misleading... by omission. as in "we spend our time working in the restaurant." shouldn't that be "restaurants" (plural), or is this a franchise?

shoshntosh

The whole "chain" thing has been the subject of mighty debate on here in the past (then again, what topic, no matter how innoccuous, hasn't been mightily debated on here?)

I'm against identikit streets more than "chains". But obviously the more chains (and the bigger those chains are) then the higher chance of living in everyswhereville

In the case of Locale I'm prepared to give it a shot. I don't think it's been franchised yet (only opening it's 4th place?) so I'm unlikely to be seeing too many of them any time soon. Would my attituide change if they were being rolled out a la GBK or Pizza Express? Probably. But to do that they would probably have to change the company top to bottom and fit a model whereas at present it just seems like a business building slowly and carefully - nothing wrong with that IMO. They are still in control of all the things that matter - food sourcing, response to local requests etc (all the things that franchises lack)

As to wether it's any GOOD or not - I have no idea as yet - but I will check it out

Ladygooner Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Blackheath, County Hall and Fulham apparently

>

>

> Michael Palaeologus Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Apparently they are "opening their fourth

> > restaurant in East Dulwich" - which are the

> other

> > 3 ED restaurants then?

i think that the intention of MP's post was to highlight the poor punctuation in the press release which could be read to suggest that this will be their fourth restaurant in east dulwich

Does it matter, shoshntosh?

I've never quite understood the ED mentality/ettiquette re:chains.

I mean, if something small and local from ED did really well and could expand to add a couple more branches to other nice residential bits of London, we'd be really chuffed for them. How is it any different for these guys who started elsewhere in London and are opening up branch number 4 here? Is it that they need to start here? How many branches does a successful local business get before it becomes a dirty big-business chain?

I think that a nice Italian is one thing that is (suprisingly) lacking in ED, and I wish these fellas the best of luck. I'll certainly be giving it a go.

Rrrrrr but are they identical? I visited the restaurant in Blackheath on a couple of occasions and it was a wonderful experience, beautiful decor, fantastic food and amazing service. The Restaurant was orginally owned by Tony Allen and that is when I ate there, and it was definitely not a chain type of restaurant. And no MP I do not believe they will be serving Vienetta!

x

I walk past the City Hall one everyday and it looks a bit 'chainish' but maybe that's because it's next to a Yo sushi, subway and starbucks. . . . . but then again grab a coffee most mornings at starbucks so shouldn't moan too much about chains!! Ah the hypocrisy.