Duck egg

Greengod

Well I love it; the people are super friendly and working hard to get going, the kids area is great (and their plans for that area are fantastic) and my toddler loves sitting on the frog chair. Long live Duck Egg!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sophie1981 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I think the prices at the Duck Egg are rather cheap for round here.

What does that mean ??? Around here. ?

It is pretention that has allowed people to charge the Earth .

What is so special about ED. that justifies higher prices than say Peckham. ?

Although Parts of Peckham are now doing the same. ie. Bellenden Rd.

An Egg is an Egg. and Toast is Toast.

Fox.

DulwichFox Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Sophie1981 Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > I think the prices at the Duck Egg are rather

> cheap for round here.

>

> What does that mean ??? Around here. ?

It means around here. The local area. Why the bold font and question marks? Does it really get you that much that cafe's in different areas charge different prices? If so, take a deep breath and deal with it. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Hello chaps

I went to Duck Egg with some friends for brunch this morning. I really like that it wasn't cramped, that the staff were friendly and that the food was served quickly. I opted for the poached eggs (duck eggs) and salmon with hollandaise on a breakfast muffin and with roast tomatoes. I must say that -and this is possibly my error- I expected their eggs to really be the pride and joy of the establishment. The eggs had been poached in cups and were rubbery (possibly microwaved in cups?), the hollandaise sauce was devoid of any lemon flavour (which is sort of one of the 3 key ingredients), the salmon was grand, the muffins were okay, and the 'tomatoes' was actually a single slice of the top heel of the tomato. For ?9.45, I thought this was incredibly steep and phenomenally disappointing. My friends, who had the Eggs Florentine pointed out the hollandaise was bland and the eggs were very rubbery, before I'd even mentioned it.

Which is sad, because I generally enjoyed the atmosphere, and that they are accommodating of kids etc. but I certainly won't be going back. I really feel that if poached eggs makes up the bulk of your menu, then you should do them properly (i.e. not in cups and turned to rubber.) Even by cupped poached egg standards, they are at the bottom of the scale. I think they should focus on quality of the product if they want to justify those prices - everything else is on form.

I have been to the ED branch a few times with my little boy and love that it's genuinely welcoming to children. There is loads of space, the staff are lovely and the children's area and selection of books are great. I have to agree though that the coffee and some of the food is not great which is a real shame. The full English breakfast was fine but eggs benedict were very bland.

But it's so nice to have somewhere welcoming to go with small kids that we will go back anyway.

• 3 months later...
Just been in for the first time. They made a mistake with my takeaway sandwich which I didn't realise until I got home. When I phoned up to tell them, they couldn't have been nicer. Very friendly service in the shop and over the phone, and despite the missing avocado, my chicken salad sandwich was still delicious. I'll be going back.

• 2 weeks later...

Homemade having run out of pastries this morning, I thought I'd try the Duck Egg.

I specifically asked if the croissants are served with jam and butter before ordering. This is, without doubt, a first world problem but the answer to butter is not margarine. Ugh. The same server couldn't have cared less when I enquired to check on the nature of the yellow stuff and declined it.

It was a disappointing croissant (although might possibly have been bearable with butter) so I left it.

The bill was brought: tea, croissant, jam and *butter*. Lol. I expressed dissatisfaction which was met with a distinct lack of interest.

Between the marge and the offhand service, I won't be back.

• 1 year later...

I went in today to get a takeaway sandwich.

I asked for a toastie and was told by the staff member in charge that they did not do toasties on Sundays. While I find this odd, I am willing to accept there may be a legitimate reason for this that one may not appreciate unless one runs a cafe.

However, to my dismay, while waiting for the sandwich I did order, I saw one of the other staff members using the toastie press to toast a sandwich.

The sandwich I had already ordered was not my first choice of non toasted sandwich, however the staff member in charge had been unable to clarify as to whether the bacon used was back or streaky, and so I was unable to proceed with that choice. I believe this was a language issue, for which my first instinct would usually be to be sympathetic towards, however in combination with the other service issues I am less sympathetic on this occasion.

Finally, once my sandwich arrived, I asked for a condiment. I was told that they could not bring me the condiment and that the sandwich would have to go back to the kitchen for it to be applied. A small issue in isolation but I was neither minded to gamble on the correct amount of condiment being applied by another party, nor to remain for longer than necessary in what had become at that stage a frustrating environment.

All this is a shame, as the sandwich that was served was actually above average.

It speaks volumes as to how poor the attitude to service was on this occasion that in spite of the good quality food I will not be going back.

• 1 month later...

What is going on with Duck Egg lately?? I've been going since it opened and eaten there loads and loads of times. The service has always been questionable - but the last time I went in there I had to wait ages, got a luke warm breakfast (bubble and squeak) which was the first time I hadn't enjoyed what I'd been served, pretty disappointed.

Not to be put off I went back today and as I was by myself, asked for a table for one. Ignoring all the nicely placed empty tables, they suggested I sit on a table shoved in the corner facing away from the rest of the customers, looking at their fridge!!! I asked to sit at one of the multiple empty tables (some for two which I find an acceptable request). And was told that they were 'saving' all these tables for customers of more than one as they had queues out the door last week.

It was half empty!!

I walked out -- after being a loyal customer for years I'm pretty shocked!!!