Theatre - anything on worth seeing?

wee quinnie

I saw 'Matilda' a few weeks ago. Really good fun and worth seeing. The kids in it were very good, but 'Miss' Trunchbull stole the show.

Funnily enough, I wouldn't recommend taking kids along, especially if they are under 10. At about 2.5 hours, it is far too long for them. When the lights went up at the end, most of the children I could see were dozing away happily.

I am in edinburgh and have just seen the King James trilogy at the Playhouse. They are on their way to the National. Phenomemal theatre, visual, passionate, exciting plus the third one stars sophie chabrol from the killing. It's going to sell out so get in there now!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just saw a preview of Speed The Plow with Richard Schiff (West Wing) Nigel Lindsay (loads of stuff) and someone called Lindsay Lohan. Nigel Lindsay stood out as a brilliant actor. Richard Schiff IS a great TV and film actor but we could not hear him and we were front row of Dress Circle.

Lindsay Lohan. Beautiful, knew her lines, not a theatre actress. I know, it was her first theatre play but she did not develop a character, it was just her 'trying'.

I'm going on Fri. Wonder if she'll have got more into the swing of it by then (I appreciate it can take a couple of weeks to really gel), though I'm wondering if her voice will reach the cheap seats where I'll be sitting. When I saw Sheridan Smith as Hedda Gabler, her voice was the least audible despite having done loads of musical theatre.

In Map to the Stars earlier this week, I thought Julianne Moore's character looked very much like Lindsay Lohan will in about 5 years if she's not careful.

Well, went this evening and I see what you mean. Nigel Lindsay pretty much carries it at the moment. I could hear the other two most of the time - it's a small theatre - though some of the detail was lost. Richard Schiff was channelling Robert de Niro in the first act but got past it after that. Lindsay Lohan seemed to be focused on remembering her lines, but it's early days and no doubt in a couple of weeks she'll have let them go and got inside the part a bit more and developed her voice. Perhaps what she's doing now would look good on camera but unless you're in the front few rows of the stalls you wouldn't get a lot of it. While I think she deserves a chance, I couldn't help thinking of all the great young actresses around who could do so much more with the role, and what that would do for the play as a whole. The usual irritation of fans who don't go to the theatre applauding wildly and giving a standing ovation at the end...

• 3 weeks later...

I saw the Waiting for Godot at the the Cockpit last night and it was superb.

http://thecockpit.org.uk/show/waiting_for_godot_0

Fabulous performances from Peter Marinker and Kenneth Colley (Accordion Man in Pennies from Heaven, no less) as Vladimir and Estragon and a game changing performance by Joe Cushley as Pozzo.

Can't recommend this highly enough - its on until 29th and tickets are (I think) ?15 ...

• 2 weeks later...
Saw Henry IV at the Donmar this evening. Excellent - surprising, full of energy and it certainly brings the language to life in a completely new way. Be warned, it's two hours with no interval, so don't have a lot to drink beforehand - my neighbour had to go for a pee and wasn't allowed back to his seat (may be different if you're in the Circle though). As we were in the front row of the stalls and the chairs are right on the stage, I can now add half the cast to the list of actors I've exchanged bodily fluids with.