Gimme some Stones quotes

mattham

Saw Shine a Light at the Imax last night. Great stuff. I figure there must be some Stones fans on here, so how about this: in light of the fact they've become such a commercial behemoth, it's easy to forget just how filthy/offensive/outrageous they could be in their heyday. So what's the most gratuitously offensive Stones lyric you can think of? I know mine, but it's so bad I'm not even sure if I can put it up here.

I grew up with the Rolling Stones and I'm huge fan. Saw the film at the Ritzy in Brixton last night. There's some lines in Some Girls that are pretty offensive but I really don't think they ever set out to offend or outrage. I could give you a thousand quotes but why should I bother when you could have more fun seeking them out your self but I may come back later and lay some on you.

Here you go and they're all from Keith Richards.

"If you're going to kick authority in the teeth you might as well use two feet."

"I don't have a problem with drugs.....just with policemen"!!

And here's a more recent one from Keith about the smoking ban:

"It's a bit of a drag because you've got to freeze your balls off to light a cigarette. You've got to go outside. It's draconian, social, politically correct bullshit. They'll get over it. It's like prohibition, they tried to stop booze once. Ha! Look what happened. It ruined America".

The line I was thinking of was from Some Girls, and, like you say, I don't believe they really set out to offend; perhaps it was the spirit of the times. But interestingly they edited the line from the performance in Shine a Light...also the one about "who killed the Kennedys" in Sympathy...a reminder, perhaps, of how commercial they've become. But I'm a huge fan and they can do little wrong in my book.

Mightyroar, the Imax presentation is suberb, if only for the sound alone (and yes it is the enormous version). Don't know if you found this Jah, whether it was subliminal or the way the sound was mixed, but you can pick out individual guitar parts etc when the camera is on that musician. It's a great way to deconstruct the music. Recommended.

Back to the quotes - when Keith Richards was in the dock at Chichester Crown Court after the Stones were famously busted in '67 he answered a question that was put to him with: "We're not old men. Your petty morals don't apply to us."

Now that is dead f**king cool.

Many years ago I had a boyfriend who was a massive Stones fans and actually had Star Star on vinyl (very rare). He also had C***sucker Blues on vinyl and I remember being quite shocked by that at the time. The lyric has always stayed with me:

Oh where can I get my cock sucked?

Where can I get my ass f**ked?

I may have no money,

but I know where to put it every time

I never forgot that one.

As I schoolgirl I remember being very shocked by Honky Tonk Woman. Bear in mind that I went to a very nice school for young ladies and I lived a very sheltered life. To this day HT Woman is one of my favourite Stones tracks.

Also, slightly off topic, I was always a little confused by Beast of Burden because I thought the line was

Yeah, all your sickness

I can fu** a duck

I swear to God, I always thought that was the lyric. Until along came Google and everything became clear

Yeah, all your sickness

I can suck it up

Throw it all at me

I can shrug it off

I haven't yet seen to SHINE A LIGHT but I'm very keen to see it - especially at the IMAX.

Starf**ker is on Goats Head Soup and Love You Live, both on vinyl and hardly rare. I've got Cocksucker Blues as well which was a song they gave to Decca as their next single to help get them out of their contract before they signed to Atlantic and formed Rolling Stones Records. Needless to say it's never been released but has appeared on countless bootlegs.

Jah Lush Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Starf**ker is on Goats Head Soup and Love You

> Live, both on vinyl and hardly rare. I've got

> Cocksucker Blues as well which was a song they

> gave to Decca as their next single to help get

> them out of their contract before they signed to

> Atlantic and formed Rolling Stones Records.

> Needless to say it's never been released but has

> appeared on countless bootlegs.

You're right; it wss Cocksucker Blues that he had on vinyl; I remember him telling me the story of the Stones using it to try and get out of their recording deal. He said that they were contracted to Decca for a certain number of singles so they gave Decca something that they couldn't release by way of a parting gift. It was all a long time ago.

this is more like it; proper Stones anoraks. My hat's off to you.

re: Stray Cat Blues; it's not quite that bad. The girl is 15 years old. No hanging matter, as Mick would say. Not a capital crime. Still, pretty questionable. Let's also not forget that Brown Sugar had a far more direct working title.

Jah Lush Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I used to sing Stray Cat Blues when I was in a

> band a thousand years ago. If you listen to the

> live version on Get Yer Ya Ya's Out Mick changes

> the age to 13.

>

> I'll get me anorak.

That's the version I had in mind. Still, 15 ain't too clever either!

>>If you listen to the live version on Get Yer Ya Ya's Out Mick changes the age to 13. <<

and dedicated it to Bill & Mandy no doubt? B)

But quotes....I recall an interview with Keef in "Rolling Stone" many many years in which the journalist suggested thet Hells Angels at Altamont had been way too heavy with the guy who rushed the stage and got knifed to death. Journalist: "it's not as if the man was waving a gun or armed". KR (bored now): "Tell it to Wild Bill Hickok Man"

I would have thought that for a good stone's quote, you would be best to go to a reputable jeweller - Boodle and Dunthorne for example. They only sell the best quality colourless (D) and well cut stones. Look out for internal flaws and never purchase a stone of less than a half a carat. I would have thought that you could get something worthwhile for about 5K, and the darlings at Boodle's put a minute special bar coded chip on your stone so that if it is ever stolen it can be identified. You really can't go wrong with them... (sigh).